Speculation: 2013-14 Trade Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verbal Kint

Oct 9, 2007
I would trade Eakin for Kulikov in a heartbeat. By that trade the Stars would finally get the good puck moving defenceman who is still developing + Nuke would continue to have a Russian friend in team after Gonchars departure.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Stars' lineup, post-Eakin

Benn-Seguin-Nuke
Whitney-Peverley-Cole
Roussel-Horcoff-Chiasson
Garbutt-Fiddler-Sceviour

Kulikov-Dillon
Goligoski-JoBenn
Rome-Connauton

Lehtonen
Ellis

Or something like that.

Ampersand

I would trade Eakin for Kulikov in a heartbeat. By that trade the Stars would finally get the good puck moving defenceman who is still developing + Nuke would continue to have a Russian friend in team after Gonchars departure.

Nuke has said in a Russian interview, that having another Russian on the team is a non-issue. So i doubt he will put up much of a stink when Sergei leaves.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Nuke has said in a Russian interview, that having another Russian on the team is a non-issue. So i doubt he will put up much of a stink when Sergei leaves.

Yeah I think by now he's fairly settled in. Don't think we need to make moves with that as a consideration.

Besides, has Kulikov shown enough on the ice to be worth us giving away Eakin? I haven't watched him all that much, but from all accounts the answer is no.

Eakin has already proven himself to be a good/decent two-way 2nd line center - at the least. He could turn in to a very good 2nd line center with a slight improvement in numbers.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Eakin is great and his contributions in an all around sense are easy to underestimate or can be easily over-looked. We're happy with him right now and what he brings. I don't see the point in sending that away for a guy who is young and on a bad team. I mean, if he were really what we needed now wouldn't he also be what Florida needs, yet he's available?

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Florida has zero need for Eakin also, they have Barkov-Bjugstad-Shore down the middle as their future. Eakin would be an upgrade over Shore, but not worth it at the price of Kulikov for them. Its easy to forgot how young Eakin is. He still has lots of potential and room to grow as a player, we shouldn't be giving up on him yet. I'd love to grab Kulikov for something else though.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Eakin for Kulikov would be a terrible mistake for the Stars. Unless you're prepared to move Benn back to center and split him up from Seguin it's not even an option. Center depth isn't something you toss away frivolously. Peverley is a 3rd liner, everyone else is a 4th liner at best. Faksa or any of the other center prospects aren't close to contributing at the NHL level and may never be ready for a top 6 role. Defense may be a weakness as the NHL level but it's not at an organizational level. If you do choose to add a D, you don't move a top 6 center off your roster to address it. Plus you can just tell from watching Eakin that he's the kind of player you win in the playoffs with. You can't give those guys up.

aloonda*

Eakin for Kulikov would be a terrible mistake for the Stars. Unless you're prepared to move Benn back to center and split him up from Seguin it's not even an option. Center depth isn't something you toss away frivolously. Peverley is a 3rd liner, everyone else is a 4th liner at best. Faksa or any of the other center prospects aren't close to contributing at the NHL level and may never be ready for a top 6 role. Defense may be a weakness as the NHL level but it's not at an organizational level. If you do choose to add a D, you don't move a top 6 center off your roster to address it. Plus you can just tell from watching Eakin that he's the kind of player you win in the playoffs with. You can't give those guys up.

we need a like button

eakin is underated around here I think

haf

Mar 3, 2008

I like all of this and agree, but if you believe he still has top end talent potential, and I do, what would you be willing to give up? Chiasson? Oleksiak? (who will probably still be good, but could be on Chara's schedule).

Kulikov was a highly touted prospect for a reason and a new environment with a support system like Nill and Ruff can provide could be exactly what he needs. If they are really moving him (which I doubt) the cost/benefit may be worth a shot.

On Florida, I would also be interested in Tomas Fleischmann depending on price. He could be a hot deadline deal piece so maybe not, but i would certainly entertain offers. He could be a good complimentary top 6 guy for a few years. Good replacement for what Whitney was optimally bringing.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I always assumed Fleischmann was German.....he would've been the first ever German-born Dallas Star.

Instead he's just a boring old Czech. :sarcasm:

(I also wouldn't mind Nill taking a run at him, just for the record. And Kulikov, naturally)

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I like all of this and agree, but if you believe he still has top end talent potential, and I do, what would you be willing to give up? Chiasson? Oleksiak? (who will probably still be good, but could be on Chara's schedule).

Kulikov was a highly touted prospect for a reason and a new environment with a support system like Nill and Ruff can provide could be exactly what he needs. If they are really moving him (which I doubt) the cost/benefit may be worth a shot.

On Florida, I would also be interested in Tomas Fleischmann depending on price. He could be a hot deadline deal piece so maybe not, but i would certainly entertain offers. He could be a good complimentary top 6 guy for a few years. Good replacement for what Whitney was optimally bringing.
I'd like to have Kulikov, sure. Kulikov is who I wanted them to draft in the first place. But I'd only give up prospects not on the NHL roster or picks at this point. Florida wouldn't want any of the trade bait type people on the team anyway. I see Kulikov as a Trevor Daley type. Nice to have but not going to be a difference-maker.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
I'd like to have Kulikov, sure. Kulikov is who I wanted them to draft in the first place. But I'd only give up prospects not on the NHL roster or picks at this point. Florida wouldn't want any of the trade bait type people on the team anyway. I see Kulikov as a Trevor Daley type. Nice to have but not going to be a difference-maker.

I think this is where we disagree. I think Kulikov's (DK from now on) floor is a slightly more offensive Daley with not quite the PK ability, but he has a much higher offensive upside. DK has a MUCH better shot than Daley.

DK will never be as physical as Daley and they have comparable wheels, but I think DK's shot is more than one tier better than Daley's and do we need to even talk about offensive vision? I think Kulikov could be what we were hoping Goose was going to be.

It would be a risk. I haven't watched enough Kulikov to feel authoritative, but what I have seen seems more about a kid who is trying to do too much on a really crappy team and therefore makes bad decisions rather than a kid who lacks the skills to excel.

Brand New Stars

I propose an Ali Lucia for Taco Cabana girl trade. Change of scenery type of deal.

Brand New Stars

Flo would become the new person to trash. Goligoski would welcome the trade but I wouldn't.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I think on Whitney it's become a conditional trade unless someone just goes crazy or wants a player gone.

Say a 4th, changes to a 3rd if they make the Quarterfinals, a 2nd in the Conference Finals, 1st if the team makes the Stanley Cup Finals. I'm not even sure you could get Rundblad right now for him so a conditional pick seems like the best option.

Also agree about Fiddler. The sooner he's gone the happier I'll be. A 3rd or 4th round pick seems reasonable for him as well.

I'd happily add a 2nd and more to Whitney if it meant we could get Rundblad.

Eakin for Kulikov = no

Yeah I don't see Nill making any quick fix trades here. The only moves I see are if a Seguin-type deal comes available - like a top pairing D or a top 6 forward who fits in to long term plans, or possibly something at the deadline depending on where we sit.

Horcoff - he's been fine overall. I have no complaints. We know his salary exceeds his value but let's put that aside. Re-sign him? I doubt it. If he was willing to sign a one year at say 1.5 or something then I suppose it's possible, but I think by the time next season is winding down we'll have other options.

Florida has no reason to trade for a center, nor should we move Eakin. Reasons have already been mentioned above.

Kulikov is really Niskanening in Florida.

And of course, there's also this fact.

My trade sense is tingling.

Chiasson for Kindl.

lolno

I propose an Ali Lucia for Taco Cabana girl trade. Change of scenery type of deal.

:laugh:

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
No way Flames even consider that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad