SHL: 2013-14 General SHL Discussion

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Skellefteå with two 96 born dman in lineup: Marcus Petterson & Sebastian Aho

Fredrik Forsberg extra forward for Leksand

His Beardliness*

What the hell, Färjestad. I have never seen that before, and I expect I'll never see it again. :facepalm:

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Brunnström with a four point night. He only had four points in the last 31 games before.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
So there has been talking about SHL expanding to 14 teams next season, what do you think of that? And what do you think of removing "kvalserien"?

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
Expansion to 14 teams feels like a no-brainer. And Kvalserien is more exciting than the playoffs a lot of times, so I think it should remain in a similar form.

I must add though that it feels weird to change the rules in the middle of a season and the idea of giving AIK and Örebro wild cards is really dumb.

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Expansion to 14 teams feels like a no-brainer. And Kvalserien is more exciting than the playoffs a lot of times, so I think it should remain in a similar form.

I must add though that it feels weird to change the rules in the middle of a season and the idea of giving AIK and Örebro wild cards is really dumb.

If they give the bottom 2 teams of SHL wildcards I am done with Swedish hockey. That's one of the most Pejorative Slured ideas ever. If they however make it so that the top 4 teams of Kvalserien gets promoted, I am 100% for it.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
How is Erik Gustafsson doing with Frölunda? He has good points but I have never seen him play. I feel like he is flying under the radar as the Oilers are stacked with D prospects. Any idea of his NHL potential? Top-4 D?

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
How is Erik Gustafsson doing with Frölunda? He has good points but I have never seen him play. I feel like he is flying under the radar as the Oilers are stacked with D prospects. Any idea of his NHL potential? Top-4 D?
He's been good, very consistent, but will make an idiot mistake from time to time. He deserves more ice time. I'd say third pairing for the NHL.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
If they give the bottom 2 teams of SHL wildcards I am done with Swedish hockey. That's one of the most Pejorative Slured ideas ever. If they however make it so that the top 4 teams of Kvalserien gets promoted, I am 100% for it.

I read on Twiter today that Kvalserien would remain the same this season.

I think it's good with 14 teams, the gap between the lower SHL teams and the top teams in Allsvenskan is very close. I'd say that Swedish hockey got enough talent for this.

My proposal for the future SHL:

1-6: Directly to the quarter finals
7-10: Playoff for the last two spots in the quarter finals
11: Season's over
12-13: Kvalserien
14: Relegated

And the league table would be like this

Team
Team
Team
Team
Team
Team
---------
Team
Team
Team
Team
---------
Team
---------
Team
Team
---------
Team

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
I read on Twiter today that Kvalserien would remain the same this season.

I think it's good with 14 teams, the gap between the lower SHL teams and the top teams in Allsvenskan is very close. I'd say that Swedish hockey got enough talent for this.

My proposal for the future SHL:

1-6: Directly to the quarter finals
7-10: Playoff for the last two spots in the quarter finals
11: Season's over
12-13: Kvalserien
14: Relegated

And the league table would be like this

Team
Team
Team
Team
Team
Team
---------
Team
Team
Team
Team
---------
Team
---------
Team
Team
---------
Team

I would agree on most except for team 12 that should remain in SHL rather then doing kvalserien.

For Allsvenskan Team 1 should be directly promoted while teams 2-4 plays kvalserien together with ES team 14.

I don't like that a team in AS can finish like 7th or 8th and still be able to reach Elitserien.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I'm not sure how much I like that. For me personally, hockeyallsvenskan and kvalserien are the greatest things we have in swedish hockey. It might be because my team is there (Malmö), but it honestly feels a hell lot more interesting than SHL.

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
If we get 14 teams the relegation/promotion format will be the 14th placed team from SHL playing the 1st place team from Hockeyallsvenskan in a best of 7 series. The SHL teams won't agree to anything else.

I can't really see the benefits of a direct relegation/promotion system. There is almost too much "revolving doors" as it is today in the SHL. You should win promotion by being the better team, not by having played well in the worse league.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
If we get 14 teams the relegation/promotion format will be the 14th placed team from SHL playing the 1st place team from Hockeyallsvenskan in a best of 7 series. The SHL teams won't agree to anything else.

I can't really see the benefits of a direct relegation/promotion system. There is almost too much "revolving doors" as it is today in the SHL. You should win promotion by being the better team, not by having played well in the worse league.

I disagree with all.

What you want is basically a closed SHL. The easier it is to being relegated, the easier is to get back in again.

A 7-game series between the HA winner and team 14 from SHL
will be too advantageous for the SHL team.
Currently it's meaningless to win HA since the win does not come with hardly any benefits at all compared to finishing 2nd or 3rd.

Swedish icehockey needs to be more dynamic, Swedish icehockey will not evolve by making SHL a closed workshop.
A team winning Allsvenskan have earned themselves a place in SHL,
a team finishing last in SHL no longer deserves to be in SHL.

The biggest problem with Swedish icehockey is that it's too much focus on SHL and there is too big difference between AS and SHL.
Instead of just focusing on how to "protect" the SHL teams focus on how to improve all of the three highest leagues.

That will benefit the sport as whole rather then just a few SHL teams that are afraid of being relegated and loosing their precious money.

Look at other teamsport in Sweden, the team that finish last in the highest series will be relegated while the team that wins the second highest series will be promoted.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I disagree with all.

What you want is basically a closed SHL. The easier it is to being relegated, the easier is to get back in again.

A 7-game series between the HA winner and team 14 from SHL
will be too advantageous for the SHL team.
Currently it's meaningless to win HA since the win does not come with hardly any benefits at all compared to finishing 2nd or 3rd.

Swedish icehockey needs to be more dynamic, Swedish icehockey will not evolve by making SHL a closed workshop.
A team winning Allsvenskan have earned themselves a place in SHL,
a team finishing last in SHL no longer deserves to be in SHL.

The biggest problem with Swedish icehockey is that it's too much focus on SHL and there is too big difference between AS and SHL.
Instead of just focusing on how to "protect" the SHL teams focus on how to improve all of the three highest leagues.

That will benefit the sport as whole rather then just a few SHL teams that are afraid of being relegated and loosing their precious money.

Look at other teamsport in Sweden, the team that finish last in the highest series will be relegated while the team that wins the second highest series will be promoted.

How has a team that won Allsvenskan but fails to place top 2 in kvalserien deserve to be in SHL?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Fill me in here. Why is Fredric Anderberg throwing the towel in after "only" three months, at age 19? If it's with fear for more concussions later in his career I respect that, but why not just shut it down for the season at this point? This seems drastic and kinda unheard of.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki

A closed league will affect Allsvenskan a lot. Trust me, the interest will drop for most of the clubs. Today, all the clubs have something to fight for. Either becomming top 3 and directly reach Kvalserien. Then we have 4-7 who has a playoff round to Kvalserien and then the last one is to avoid negative playoffs against the division 1 teams.

If the winner from Allsvenskan should play against the last placed team from SHL, it would either have to be the direct first placed team playing, or using a playoff model for the 8 best teams.

If we take a look east, to Finland, that's the system they want in SHL. A few days ago, I heard KalPa sold their best players to save some money. They're dead last in Liiga, and will probably play against the winner of Mestis. That says a lot of the quality between Liiga and Mestis. The same thing will happen in Sweden with SHL and Allsvenskan.

If Allsvenskan loses their current model, the media and fan interest will drop rapidly, which leads to less TV-revenue and lower attendances.

Why does SHL want this? Because they're scared of the quality of Allsvenskan, and they hit the weaker ones instead of finding another proposal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad