Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals (including Leafs Props)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
phanuef + ?? for a RD, mabye eric johnson from colorado. we'll have to add substantially but that 1st pairing could be filled by gunnar, gardiner mabye even ranger this year and rielly in 2 or 3

Add significantly to Johnson for Phaneuf.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Phaneuf, fransons rights, and a first for johnson and duchesne would be a fair deal

how do you determine that this is a fair deal?

you couldnt get duchene for that let alone get johnson as well.

phaneuf is a ufa after this season and is probably going to want $6-7 million + term. franson is an rfa currently and is obviously looking for a contract that is significant otherwise nonis would likely have gotten him signed by now and our first is likely going to be between 10-20.

colorado wont be parting with duchene anytime soon considering stastny is a ufa after this year and the ror situation is questionable.

for the sake of argument i would think the only piece we have that could get a conversation going for duchene would be kessel and kessel would need to come with an extension.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think that in the next 12 months, ONE of Phaneuf or Franson will likely be gone. We're STACKED offensively from the blueline.. Phaneuf, Franson, Gardiner, Liles, and Rielly.

Defensively though? Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, and probably Ranger are our best guys defensively.. and while all three are pretty good defensively, I wouldn't say any of them are "elite" defensive guys.

Phaneuf/Franson represent two guys that have pretty solid trade value and who will be taking up large amounts of capspace over the next few seasons (assuming they were resigned).

Moving one, particularly moving Phaneuf, would hurt for the shortterm... but with Rielly/Percy/Granberg/Finn coming up the pipeline, + development from Gardiner, I think we'd be fine in 2-3 years if you removed one of Phaneuf/Franson from the group.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what happens. I just think we have some redundancy back there, and have big needs in terms of cheap young ELC talent, particularly at the centre position.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Cant make that type of a signing unless we are able to get Liles' contract off the books.

$4M per year for Kadri would leave $800K to sign Fransen

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Cant make that type of a signing unless we are able to get Liles' contract off the books.

That's Nonis's job

if you can get Kadri locked up long term at 4, you do it
then move Liles to make room to sign Franson

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If he can sign Kadri to a deal he can live with, Liles won't stop him.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk

Franson doesn't have a deep history of dominance that makes him a must sign. He got a lot of sheltered minutes last season. If he won't sign a short term contract trade him for picks/prospects. We have many young defensemen in the system coming up next year and Liles would be good enough to get by for a single season.

Spending big money on Franson or giving him serious term would be a mistake. I don't think he is a true team player.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Most likely sign then trade Franson.

I don't want him gone but we sure have a plethora of offensive dmen and not a lot of cap space. I can see Edmonton offering a first plus for him.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
how do you determine that this is a fair deal?

you couldnt get duchene for that let alone get johnson as well.

phaneuf is a ufa after this season and is probably going to want $6-7 million + term. franson is an rfa currently and is obviously looking for a contract that is significant otherwise nonis would likely have gotten him signed by now and our first is likely going to be between 10-20.

colorado wont be parting with duchene anytime soon considering stastny is a ufa after this year and the ror situation is questionable.

for the sake of argument i would think the only piece we have that could get a conversation going for duchene would be kessel and kessel would need to come with an extension.

Maybe you're right but a man can dream can't he?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Franson doesn't have a deep history of dominance that makes him a must sign. He got a lot of sheltered minutes last season. If he won't sign a short term contract trade him for picks/prospects. We have many young defensemen in the system coming up next year and Liles would be good enough to get by for a single season.

Spending big money on Franson or giving him serious term would be a mistake. I don't think he is a true team player.

the problem is he is a valuable enough piece that it doesnt make sense to get rid of him for nothing and i dont see teams lining up to trade for him. if nonis could get a 1st or a really good prospect for him i would be ok with moving him but it doesnt make sense for us to move him for less.

he does always seem like a ***** to get signed though.

Maybe you're right but a man can dream can't he?

dream on brother. its a good dream :cry:

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

Unfortunately, dont think it will be possible to get Kadri on a deal for anything less than a 4 million per year cap hit.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Unfortunately, dont think it will be possible to get Kadri on a deal for anything less than a 4 million per year cap hit.

if we could get kadri locked up long term (6+ years) on a reasonable cap hit similar to the jvr contract then it might be worth investigating trading franson for assets/cap relief.

its pretty reasonable to assume our top 4 will consist of some sort of combination of phaneuf, gardiner, and reilly so we really only have 1 spot left with gunnarson under contract for the next 3 years.

if we could get a decent asset for franson i would be more then comfortable going to the season with a defense looking like,

phaneuf-gunnarson
gardiner-ranger
reilly-fraser
liles

we would also have to not worry about kadri for the net ~6 years. we have enough defensive prospects that we can handle the lose of franson. we have nothing even remotely close to what kadri brings to the table in the system.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

Some of the guys on the capgeek roster won't be starting the year with the Leafs, which would save probably about 1.2 M$ and Liles could be traded, especially if we retain salary. In the long run I think signing Kadri up longterm with a lower cap hit might be a better idea then a bridge contract and resigning him in two years too a 5-7 M$ contract.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
the problem is he is a valuable enough piece that it doesnt make sense to get rid of him for nothing and i dont see teams lining up to trade for him.

As he is RFA you won't see teams lining up to trade for him because he is not obviously available. Nonis is smart enough to test the waters when the time is right and do it quietly. There are quite a few teams in the League with equally shaky or even worse defense than the Leafs. EDM anyone? =)

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Some of the guys on the capgeek roster won't be starting the year with the Leafs, which would save probably about 1.2 M$ and Liles could be traded, especially if we retain salary. In the long run I think signing Kadri up longterm with a lower cap hit might be a better idea then a bridge contract and resigning him in two years too a 5-7 M$ contract.

dont you think if liles could be traded he would have by now? he hasnt really played full time for the leafs since his concussion and will get bumped even further down the depth chart as our prospects develop. even with retaining salary i dont see him getting moved. imo the only option to get rid of liles salary would be to include a serious sweetener in the deal. considering how few top prospects the leafs have im not sure they are in a position to do this. i think it is more likely that nonis trades franson for picks/prospects then give up assets to create cap space.

regarding kadri, he is going to get a bridge contract because it is in the best interest of the team. nonis doesnt seem like the kind of guy to get pushed around in a contract negotiation. i suspect he doesnt budge until kadri take the contract nonis thinks is reasonable.

kadri on a bridge is a better deal then kadri locked up at a reasonable cap hit but for long term because we A) dont have the cap space, and B) it is risky to lock up a player with ~100 nhl games to a 6-7 year deal at over $4 million.

the cap is going to go up so if we can get kadri on a 2 year bridge deal by the time we need to extend him the cap will have had time to increase, liles contract will be just about over, and there will be a better idea of where the team is going and how cap space should be allocated.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I know this is Eklund but he could have something here, are teams going to wait until the Olympics are over and then we will see a flurry of trades, for teams filling holes and could Nonis find a team to trade for Liles, or someone else.

Nonis may believe there is and this is the reason Liles wasn't bought out.

Trading Times Approaching.... ....Is your team set?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...oaching-Is-your-team-set/1/53608#.Uh6P0D-pnFw

There are about a half dozen teams who are not close to how they will look come October. Every year we see a few, but I can't remember going into a season with more teams waiting on filling obvious holes. Not just the typical "we are looking for a top six forward" type of holes. I am talking "We have too many NHL defenseman under contact" or "we don't have enough d-men" or "we have to decide on whether or not we should move our starting goalie" type of holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad