Prospect Info: 2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc. part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I think most people agree Laughton projects as 3rd line center who chips in offensively while playing great defence with a physical presence. Though he does have second line potential, he'll more than likely be a good third liner who can fill in on the second line for stretches without looking out of place.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Mike Richards wasn't projected to be Mike Richards if that makes any sense. :laugh: Richie's NHL career ppg numbers indicate he's a 60 point center, that's low tier 1C. But he does so while playing elite defense and being a pk monster, well at least he was (not many people remember that he has the NHL record for most 5-3 short handed goals career, he's more then just a good pker but he was also an offensive threat). All things considered (the fact that no one thought Richards was gonna turn out to be a 1C and the fact that Laughton has shown less offensively throughout his OHL career) I highly doubt he'll be close to Richards. I would say he's a similar player but won't be as good in any area. I think he tops out as a 40 pt player with good defense and leadership qualities. Still a successful pick.

Phantoms lost to the Sound Tigers, 5-4. They are on a terrible downward spiral right now. The only Phantoms with multiple points were McGinn and Akeson. McGinn had a goal and assist, for 25 points in 40 games now. Akeson now has 45 points in 47 games.

Akesons point totals are getting downright unbelievable considering the team and system he plays in.

6th in the AHL in points. While playing for the lowest scoring team in the league.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Akesons point totals are getting downright unbelievable considering the team and system he plays in.

6th in the AHL in points. While playing for the lowest scoring team in the league.

I would like to see him on Giroux's line next year. I don't think he would be effective on the bottom two lines, and I like our physical second line... so sadly we pretty much have only one place where he could effectively fit, IMO.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well then I guess best case scenario is that Laughton ends up being better than expected like Richards and in a few years we hear about people being the next Scott Laughton hahaha

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I would like to see him on Giroux's line next year. I don't think he would be effective on the bottom two lines, and I like our physical second line... so sadly we pretty much have only one place where he could effectively fit, IMO.

Akeson-Giroux-Voracek

Would they ever take a shot? :sarcasm:

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
^ Pretty good assessment really. I agree.

The OHL equivalency rate to the NHL is 0.30. (over 200 draft picks looked into... so a good sample.)

Richards PPG in the OHL, going off his best season projected him to be a:

~40 point scorer

Laughtons PPG in the OHL, going off his best season (this one) projects him to be a:

~40 point scorer

Though Richards best year was his 3rd, Laughtons his 4th.

Though if you combine their last two years the figures work out at:

Richards, 36 point forward.
Laughton, 34 point forward.

So yeh, Laughton has developed slower... but through ages 18-19 and 19-20 seasons they are pretty identical in production, with Richie the edge.

But as already noted... very few people envisaged Richards as what he is.

If I remember it correctly that stat only predicts the first season after moving from a lower league to the NHL. Richards had 34 points (79 games) his first season, it was pretty accurate.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Laughton might just be that kind of player that is going to give his own team fits. By that, I mean his will and determination to do whatever it takes to win might propel him into a top position on the club. He'll probably get the crap end of the stick his first season or two when it comes to linemates, but it's very possible that by the end of his third year, he could force the club to move him up the line up because of the face he's outworked everyone into a top role. Richards did the same thing - his first two years, he got to play with the likes of Brian Savage, Donald Brashear, Dimitri Afansenkov and Sami Kapanen before he got an opportunity to be a top line center in his third year.

I know the "3rd line/40 point checking center" is probably the safe route to go with Laughton, but after being sent back to the OHL after his five game stint with the Flyers and his play this year, Laughton's game has jumped to a completely different level, especially on the offensive side. Laughton was always good defensively, but now offensively, he's really put it together and understands that side of the game. The battle between Laughton and Couturier next year at training camp should be fun to watch (unless the Flyers decide to move Lecavalier and then bump Couturier to the 2nd line center spot and move Schenn to Giroux's left side).....

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Laughton might just be that kind of player that is going to give his own team fits. By that, I mean his will and determination to do whatever it takes to win might propel him into a top position on the club. He'll probably get the crap end of the stick his first season or two when it comes to linemates, but it's very possible that by the end of his third year, he could force the club to move him up the line up because of the face he's outworked everyone into a top role. Richards did the same thing - his first two years, he got to play with the likes of Brian Savage, Donald Brashear, Dimitri Afansenkov and Sami Kapanen before he got an opportunity to be a top line center in his third year.

I know the "3rd line/40 point checking center" is probably the safe route to go with Laughton, but after being sent back to the OHL after his five game stint with the Flyers and his play this year, Laughton's game has jumped to a completely different level, especially on the offensive side. Laughton was always good defensively, but now offensively, he's really put it together and understands that side of the game. The battle between Laughton and Couturier next year at training camp should be fun to watch (unless the Flyers decide to move Lecavalier and then bump Couturier to the 2nd line center spot and move Schenn to Giroux's left side).....

What battle? Couts role on this team is pretty cemented.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they move Lecavalier it will be because Schenn is going to play 2C full time.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Go crazy and do:

Giroux Couturier Voracek
Hartnell Schenn Simmonds
Laughton Vinny Read

Couts can be how Bozak is for Kessel and JVR. Be the defensive consience on the line, let the other 2 focus on offense.

The 2nd line has done well so far this year, hope it continues.

The 3rd line goes up against other teams 3rd lines and it should win that battle. Read and Laughton can cover for Vinny defensively and they both have offensive games to them as well.

Of course, this is just not going to happen as we will deal some F depth to add a d-man.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

What battle are yuo referring to? You think there could be a potential battle for the 3rd line center spot? I dont see it, at all.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
London desperately needs Stolarz back. They're staying afloat right now but they're out shooting teams pretty significantly & still having close games because of Jake Patterson isn't very good.

Seems like Stolarz will be out for a little longer than what they first thought. Hopefully the kid makes a full recovery.

London Knights’ Anthony Stolarz to be out longer than expected

Knights’ general manager Mark Hunter said it will be two more weeks before Stolarz is ready.

Knights goalie coach Bill Dark was a little less definitive on when the starter will return.

“Until he’s on the ice, we don’t know (when he will return),†Dark said before Sunday afternoon’s game against Plymouth Whalers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Go crazy and do:

Giroux Couturier Voracek
Hartnell Schenn Simmonds
Laughton Vinny Read

Couts can be how Bozak is for Kessel and JVR. Be the defensive consience on the line, let the other 2 focus on offense.

The 2nd line has done well so far this year, hope it continues.

The 3rd line goes up against other teams 3rd lines and it should win that battle. Read and Laughton can cover for Vinny defensively and they both have offensive games to them as well.

Of course, this is just not going to happen as we will deal some F depth to add a d-man.

I much rather have Schenn centering Giroux & Voracek than Couturier. Couturier hasn't even proven himself offensively for the second line spot let alone the first.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I much rather have Schenn centering Giroux & Voracek than Couturier. Couturier hasn't even proven himself offensively for the second line spot let alone the first.

I agree with this. And if we split up Couts/Read, we're losing our checking line.

Also, with the way Giroux has been playing lately, I don't want to move him at all.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It seems like any player taken 15-60 has the potential to be a 40 point 3rd line player. It's the safest bet anyone can put out there. I think Laughton will be a 55 point player when he is in his prime, maybe more. Kid has heart and determination, we have all seen how that translates with talent. Nobody though Giroux was going to be what he became when drafted, but he did have great skill. Laughton doesn't have that type of skill but he will give you 132% every time out there. More so that translates to points in the NHL when you actually have talent to back it up.

I am not in favor of moving Giroux to the wing, keep your best player where he is. He really seems to be cautious about getting to aggressive in the offense zone though, he stays high most of the time. Even when he can go down on the forecheck he opts not to, seems like he is trying to play a more complete game.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'll stick with my prediction from a couple years ago. Laughton seems like a more physical version of Chris Kelly.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

I think Laughton's speed is going to surprise people who underestimate his upside. He's got a very similar skillset to Richards, but a couple extra gears on the top end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad