2012 NHL Draft Prospects

richardson100

Mar 16, 2008
I know it's a little early, but are there any kids for the 2012 nhl draft year that are opening eyes yet? CHL scouts will beginning their process of scouting out this age group soon, if not already. With the rise in international talent and the huge crop of prospects for the 2010 and 2011 drafts, I know that 2012 will be a big year for the nhl draft.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Finnish prospects...
Niko Friman
Miro Saarelainen
Ville Koskela

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
2012? Lol So right now they're 14 years old? Anyone that seriously replies to this is either full of crap or should get a job with an NHL team.

Yes, most of these players would be 14 years old. Some would be late 1993 birthdates and would already have been drafted by teams in the WHL. Some might have already made a verbal commitment to a U.S. college.

As for most of them, the 1994 birthdates, they will be scouted this year by WHL teams which have to draft players (in their bantam draft) a year earlier than OHL or QMJHL teams.

You can bet that many prep schools and university programs are also scouting these kids.

Also, you can bet that player agents are lining up to represent these players as "advisors."

So you see, it is not that far-fetched to start identifying the cream of the crop right now. Many in the hockey business are already doing so.

Now, if people in the hockey business are already doing it, then it goes without saying that hockey fans, particularly prospect watchers, want to know who all the buzz is about.

Of course, the 2012 draft is four years away and a lot can change between now and then, so a ranking of any prospects this far ahead would be pretty useless. But identifying some talented players with upside? Sure, give me what you've got.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Yes, most of these players would be 14 years old. Some would be late 1993 birthdates and would already have been drafted by teams in the WHL. Some might have already made a verbal commitment to a U.S. college.

As for most of them, the 1994 birthdates, they will be scouted this year by WHL teams which have to draft players (in their bantam draft) a year earlier than OHL or QMJHL teams.

You can bet that many prep schools and university programs are also scouting these kids.

Also, you can bet that player agents are lining up to represent these players as "advisors."

So you see, it is not that far-fetched to start identifying the cream of the crop right now. Many in the hockey business are already doing so.

Now, if people in the hockey business are already doing it, then it goes without saying that hockey fans, particularly prospect watchers, want to know who all the buzz is about.

Of course, the 2012 draft is four years away and a lot can change between now and then, so a ranking of any prospects this far ahead would be pretty useless. But identifying some talented players with upside? Sure, give me what you've got.

For sure it definitely interesting reading about these prospects, and of course many are being scouted, but not in NHL terms. It is definitely interesting and worthwile in discovering new talents of a certain age group. However, with people like Finn making rather absurd statements that he will "rocket up the draft day rankings", considering they are 4 years away from being drafted. I mean, it is still difficult to make any sweeping statements about where 09 prospects will be drafted, so to say that about a 2012 eligible prospect is a little insane. So i think this thread is very useful until people inevitably talk about draft position etc.

WinCityHypeMachine

May 26, 2008
AMAZING PLAYER. I cannot help but say this kid is gonna rocket up on draft day. My brother played AAA last season and will be on the Chicago Chill this season and he skated with the Mission and said that Schmaltz is the most talented kid he's ever played with. My brother is a HS record holder.

I've seen him play too and I agree. Although I look at late 93's/94's as NCAA/CHL Prospects at this point, not NHL Prospects. (NOTE: The Chicago Chill unfortunately disbanded and is now the Chicago Fury. Not the same effective organization it once was.)

My top 2012 NCAA/CHL Prospects from the MWEHL at this point:
Travis Maezes (F) 1993 - Detroit Compuware
Sheldon Dries (F) 1994 - Detroit Honeybaked
Nick Schilkey (F) 1994 - Detroit Honeybaked
Josh Henke (F) 1994 - Detroit Honeybaked
Tim Lappin (F) 1994 - Chicago Mission
Sam Piazza (D) 1994 - Chicago Mission
Jordan Schmaltz (D) 1993 - Chicago Mission
Jared Rutledge (G) 1994 - CYA

NOTES:
-I have not seen Maezes on any roster for this season which is odd. I'm not sure if he quit or what, but he was one of the top 93's in Detroit and was a late one. Not sure someone that had a chance for some sort of Hockey future would quit if he did. I know he got suspended last year, so I don't if that has anything related to it.
-Schmaltz is the best player on this list in my opinoin. If you're wondering what type of player he is, he leads a lot of effective rushes as a Defenseman and always knows when to dish it off. Very smart player. Can quarterback a Power Play. Fabulous skater.
-Rutledge is the best prospect at this point in my opinoin. To this day, I have still yet to see a 94 Goalie anywhere better than him (There probably is, but I'm just saying I've seen a lot of teams and he is still the best I've seen). He's playing mm's this season and is supposedly a force there too. Heard he completely stole a game from one of the top-15 mm teams in the country. Keep an eye on this kid.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
Schmaltz looks like a pretty good player, but a lot his hype right now, in my opinion, is because: 1. the US crop of '93s is looking very weak at this time and 2. Wisconsin got a little antsy and committed to him way too early.

He'll be good, but he's not anywhere near some of the other top prospect defenseman that have come from the US in recent years.

wolem78

Sep 21, 2008
Russia:
Between forwards exude:
Michael Grigorenko (CSKA) 1994
Leonid Ovechkin (Spartac) 1994
Konstatin Shabunov (Spartac) 1994
Denis Kamaev (CSKA) 1994
Sergey Kupcov (Tractor) 1994

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
People.. If you dont like the topic, dont reply to it... We all know the 2012 draft is still far away, but there are people who want to discuss it without having to see a bunch of drivel about how lame this thread is...

To those who complained about these posts.. report them.. The mods will see it a lot sooner that way then if you complain in the thread..

Thanks...

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Luca Ciampini, Henrick Samuelsson, Andrew Matthewson G, Seth Jones, Kim Lilja. Those are some names I've heard

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Russia:
Between forwards exude:
Michael Grigorenko (CSKA) 1994
Leonid Ovechkin (Spartac) 1994
Konstatin Shabunov (Spartac) 1994
Denis Kamaev (CSKA) 1994
Sergey Kupcov (Tractor) 1994

Any relation?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Schmaltz looks like a pretty good player, but a lot his hype right now, in my opinion, is because: 1. the US crop of '93s is looking very weak at this time and 2. Wisconsin got a little antsy and committed to him way too early.

He'll be good, but he's not anywhere near some of the other top prospect defenseman that have come from the US in recent years.

?????? please explain this. I must have missed something here with the 93's being a weak year for Americans. looks pretty dang solid to me so far.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Is there any news about Kim Lilja? I heard he was one of the top 1994 born Swedish players some time ago?

0123456789*

Martin Frk remember that name because you will all be hearing it allot in the coming years, this kid is a prodigy. I know people dont like hyping 15 year olds but this kid is special and playing at such a level that even if he stopped progressing today then he would be picked fairly high imo.

Martin Frk who turned 15 in October is playing in juniors in Czech Republic and is on pace to be around 6th or 7th in points and around top 10 in goals. He is on pace to lead he team in points and goals and plus minus(he is obviously the youngest player in Juniors, by a wide margin). He lead the Czech under 16 team in scoring and points. He played 22 games to start the year in the Czech bantam league(i guess thats what it would be called, for players before juniors), there he was on pacer to lead that league in scoring and points by a fairly wide margin(he was still a year or two younger than most other leaders). He moved up to juniors right when he turned 15, and immediately became one of the top players.

juniors - 16 games - 8 goals - 12 assists - 20 points - +7 - 6pim
dorost - 22 games - 26 goals - 12 assists - 38 points - +10 - 85pim
16 tournament - 8 games - 3 goals - 5 assists - 8 points - +0 - 8pim

he has been talked about allot before this year but this year he has taken another step up and shown he could be the real deal. basically you will all be hearing his name allot more as his draft year nears.
last measurement he was 178cm(which was when he was still 14) and a good weight, he only turned 15 October 5th so he still has lots of time to grow and could easily get to the 190+ range.

from a interview with him.
-he also plays soccer
-his favorite team is Washington
-his favorite player is Ovechkin
-he wants to play in the NHL and see how far he can take him self

Remember his name, Martin Frk...I know its early but he is a late born and not far from being eligible for the 2011 draft and this guy is showing he could be the best Czech prospect since Jagr.

next year I expect him to play some games in the first league with men like Musil did this year. he still has more to learn in juniors but he is already one of the best players in juniors and at this rate he will destroy the league next year as a 15-16 year old.

Last edited by a moderator:

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Czech prospects:
f Martin Frk (Karlovy Vary) late 93
f Stanislav Erben (Plzeň) late 93
d Petr Šidlík (Jihlava)
f Adam Chlapík (Slavia)
f Tomáš Hertl (Slavia) late 93
f Dominik Volek (Sparta)

Deal Sealer

Jan 2, 2009
Newmarket
Daniel Catannaci projected to go 1 or 2 in the OHL entry draft. Lit up AAA for the York Simcoe Express in the OMHA. Likely end up playing for the Kingston Frontenacs or the Erie Otters whoever finishes lowest in the OHL

0123456789*

How do you pronounce Frk?

You pronounce it the same way its written, using the Czech alphabet though.

F as in fish + R as in raspberry + K as in kong

FRK...pronouncing Czech names is actually easy as they are pronounced exactly the way you see them, no vowels and silent letters etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad