2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Can we please get a summit series with the real U18 USA team that wins the IIHF tournament every year. I'd like to see just how well that USA teams stacks up against the real U18 Team Canada.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Can we please get a summit series with the real U18 USA team that wins the IIHF tournament every year. I'd like to see just how well that USA teams stacks up against the real U18 Team Canada.

IF this series was played at the end of the junior season, USA wins.
If played any other time, canada wins.
the USA PROGRAM is geared to win the April tournament. Canada does not see it that way(IMHO).

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
the USA PROGRAM is geared to win the April tournament. Canada does not see it that way(IMHO).

Nah, I don't think it's a given. With 10 day training camp, a few exhibition games, I'm sure the Canadians can gel as a team and make it a fair fight. The fact the U18 U.S. team is together all year and plays a 50 game schedule plus tournaments doesn't bother me at all.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Saw him in all games (except the bronze medal, but there he should have not played, I guess). For me, he was the best player of PieÅ¡ťany part of tournament till the semifinal match, where he didn't play so well, plus he took totally stupid match penalty after the game as he was apparently not able to stomach the loss.

I think opposite, for me he was disappointing not strong enough in d-zone coverage and making too many bad plays on PP(puck distribution, shooting).

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Czechexpert, who do you think were the best Finnish players overall at this event? Also, I would like to know how D Alex Lintuniemi played. He looked as an interesting prospect last season in Finland.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Czechexpert, who do you think were the best Finnish players overall at this event? Also, I would like to know how D Alex Lintuniemi played. He looked as an interesting prospect last season in Finland.

I saw Finnish team only twice so it´s hard to say who was the MVP of the team but winger Puhakka was the most interesting NHL prospect on team IMO. Tanus is good player but probably too small. Smallish D Honka had solid tournament. Not fan of Mäkinen.
Don´t consider Lintuniemi as NHL prospect, for me he was one of the worse D on team.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I saw Finnish team only twice so it´s hard to say who was the MVP of the team but winger Puhakka was the most interesting NHL prospect on team IMO. Tanus is good player but probably too small. Smallish D Honka had solid tournament. Not fan of Mäkinen.
Don´t consider Lintuniemi as NHL prospect, for me he was one of the worse D on team.
Thanks! Yes, Puhakka is a good player, I saw him last year with Blues U18 team and he was excellent. But I didn´t think he was much of an NHL prospect, so it´s good to hear he played well. :)

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Thanks! Yes, Puhakka is a good player, I saw him last year with Blues U18 team and he was excellent. But I didn´t think he was much of an NHL prospect, so it´s good to hear he played well. :)

still marginal prospect but there is space for interesting improvement with right development, has skills, hockey sense, finishing touch.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Czechexpert did you see any Slovak game, what's your opinion on these guys?

two games. My opinion is that some of them forgot to play hockey...
Unfortunately didn´t see Mikolas. Bobos was awful, Sloboda disappointing but still have hope for him. Torok was ok. Not fan of Paulovic, bad skater and limited skills. Lantosi was mild surprise for me. Rehak competes but never ever produced offensively.

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Unfortunately didn´t see Mikolas. Bobos was awful, Sloboda disappointing but still have hope for him. Torok was ok. Not fan of Paulovic, bad skater and limited skills. Lantosi was mild surprise for me. Rehak competes but never ever produced offensively.
Apparently you saw game against Switzerland where Sloboda was the worst D-man in the team... In last two games he was probably our best D-man. But still, Slovak defense in 1995 age group is simply bad that we had to take for example Tomko to the team. Bačik was terrible as well.

I'd like to point on the whole thrid line in first two games, not just on Lantoši. The whole line Lantoši - Horvát - Pleša was a surprise. Especially Pleša, who was probably the only Slovak player who was not afraid of playing physical game. Something like Šimun last year in U18 team (and almost it paid off, as I heard many CHL teams were interested in Šimun). Šille was good, too. Great hands and vision. It's bitter for him that he had to play in 4th line and he got limited ice time.

Török was ok, but he has to convert those opportunities he had. Just one goal throughout the tournament + friendy game is not enough if I take into account that he had two solo breakaways and two other really good chances from wing.

Mikoláš showed the best goaltender's performance in PieÅ¡ťany this year. Maybe he was even the best goalie of tournament. That just shows how poor goaltending this year was. (No offense to Mikoláš)

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Apparently you saw game against Switzerland where Sloboda was the worst D-man in the team... In last two games he was probably our best D-man. But still, Slovak defense in 1995 age group is simply bad that we had to take for example Tomko to the team. Bačik was terrible as well.

I'd like to point on the whole thrid line in first two games, not just on Lantoši. The whole line Lantoši - Horvát - Pleša was a surprise. Especially Pleša, who was probably the only Slovak player who was not afraid of playing physical game. Something like Šimun last year in U18 team (and almost it paid off, as I heard many CHL teams were interested in Šimun). Šille was good, too. Great hands and vision. It's bitter for him that he had to play in 4th line and he got limited ice time.

Török was ok, but he has to convert those opportunities he had. Just one goal throughout the tournament + friendy game is not enough if I take into account that he had two solo breakaways and two other really good chances from wing.

Mikoláš showed the best goaltender's performance in PieÅ¡ťany this year. Maybe he was even the best goalie of tournament. That just shows how poor goaltending this year was. (No offense to Mikoláš)

Yes, one of the game, I saw was against Switzerland.
You are right about third line.
Sille has great hands, size, vision but he is brutal skater.
Agree, goaltending has been just terrible this year

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Next year's Canadian U18 Team will be one of the best to ever compete at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. The 96 and 97 birth years are waist deep in talent, both on offense and defense. It could include 3 1997 born players, but I doubt HC will be brave to send all three 97 born players. I would.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Well, I dont you think you see the "real" U.S. u18 team either-even at the IIHF event. Just because it's the NTDP doesn't make it the most representative talent-wise.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

Canada can't gear up for the April tournament. Half (or more) of the key players are not available to Hockey Canada for that tournament due to CHL playoffs.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Well, I dont you think you see the "real" U.S. u18 team either-even at the IIHF event. Just because it's the NTDP doesn't make it the most representative talent-wise.

I don't think you got my point, but whatever... it's not important.

Lets hope it happens and soon. TEAM USA U18 doesn't concern too much.

Jeff_Dyck_#1

Est. MMII
Apr 11, 2005
HF since 1998

1312408325909.jpg

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I got your point. All I'm saying is that I don't consider the NTDP u18 team the best collection of that aged talent from this country.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I got your point. All I'm saying is that I don't consider the NTDP u18 team the best collection of that aged talent from this country.

they can bring their best, whoever USA Hockey deems to be the best, suit em up, buckle in and lets have it. 7 games, best 4 out 7. Any series between USA Hockey and Hockey Canada is much more compelling than anything going on with the Russians at the moment.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

and they shouldn't really.....they only beat us last year 2-1 in the semi-final, with essentially what was our 'B' team. Only one country has won more gold medals since 2003 than Canada. We have done pretty good throwing a team together at the last minute and playing in this tournament. Goes to show the depth Canada has and gives some lesser known players some international experience.

The USA as mentioned doesn't usually have all their 'top' players there either, as more and more Americans decide to play in the CHL.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Next year's Canadian U18 Team will be one of the best to ever compete at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. The 96 and 97 birth years are waist deep in talent, both on offense and defense. It could include 3 1997 born players, but I doubt HC will be brave to send all three 97 born players. I would.

More talented than the '95 group up front, deeper than the '94 group on D?

the '91's and 92's were pretty stacked as well.

Who might you have as the best ever for the '96's?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Very true. Cammarata, Erne, D'Angelo, De Leo to name 4 that would strengthen the US U-18 team.

Last edited:

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

It's not going to be a 96/97 team. The only '97 that will (should) be a part of the team will be McDavid. Barzal won't be there, and I can't even guess who you think the third 97 would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad