2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
and why would that result in poor showings at the U18?

So the scouts have it all wrong? Maybe you're on to something :sarcasm:

Scouts don't look at players for what they are at the present, rather what they'll become. The team with the best NHL prospects doesn't always win.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No one sent their 'B' team to the Hlinka hahaha, yes the USA doesnt send their true development team but even that isnt their best collection of players at the U18 age group as many top Americans are playing in the CHL.

I get the fact the Finns were missing a couple players, Russians maybe 1, Czechs a few, but it would not have mattered. The Finns and Czechs have never won gold at this tourney. The Czechs have co-hosted this tournament for the last 10 yrs, dont you think they would want to do well? Team Canada cut 20 kids that would have probably made any of those teams.

Finnish hockey federation has never put too much emphasis on this tournament, the U-20 tournament held around the same time each year has always been seen as the more important one for player development. Hence why the likes of Granlund and Pulkkinen played at the U-20 tournament in their draft years (if i recall correctly).

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Who were the Finns missing other than Barkov, who could have been a game changer. I'm not worried about the other guys who might be 3rd or 4th round NHL draft picks.

Who was Russia missing? Anyone??

Prob is no one can beat Canada, look at their record.

When we have our best available its pretty much a sure thing....

You won! Congrats! Good job! Hooraaaaay!!:handclap:

Ok, now can we get back to discussing development, individual players, who was/wasn't playing, and the relative strength of the tourney without hearing "Canada would have won anyways!!" every 2nd post?

Much appreciated

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Remember I am not talking about 3rd or 4th round draft picks or guys who are eligible for the tournament....

Canada cut 20 guys that are anywhere from 1st rounders to 4th rounders.
In some cases player's draft value has very little to do with what he can achieve in weak tournaments like this. Let's face it, U18 competition is several steps below NHL. Juuso Ikonen had 4g+1a in 5 games against USA's and Sweden's U20 teams, would have had an impact at this level. Artturi Lehkonen was the top goal scorer at last year's WU18C's, would have had an impact in this tournament. Matias Pulli might have been the top offensive defensemen in this event, impact player for sure. Canada would most likely have won nonetheless, but it's a fact that many teams were missing "game changer" players. For a team like Finland this had a big impact due to lack of depth.

and why would that result in poor showings at the U18?

So the scouts have it all wrong? Maybe you're on to something :sarcasm:
For example Teemu Pulkkinen are Toni Rajala were 4th round picks despite often scoring 2 points per game in these tournaments. There has also been plenty of guys going undrafted despite being top-5 scorers in these tournaments.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Come on man. This wasn't close to the best team the U.S. (talent-wise) could have sent to this tourney.

Yeah, it seems it's similar to the team Canada sends to the U18's.

It'd be nice to see the USA's U18 team against Canada's Ivan Hlinka team for evaluation purposes, wouldn't it?

I wish there was a way that best of each age group of all the top 6-8 countries could play against each other at least once a year.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Anybody think Hockey Canada unleashes McDavid on the world at next year's IIHF U18 in the spring or at the Ivan Hlinka tournament, or neither, does HC hold him back to let the other 97 born players catch up? Can you imagine a One-Two punch of McDavid and Barzal? Buckle up world!

McDavid will get an invite to the Hlinka summer camp next year, similar to Ekblad. McDavid will make the team though, unlike Ekblad.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Maybe you need to lower your expectations a bit then.

The highest point total a Canadian player has ever had at this tournament is 13 (Jeff Friesen in 93 and Brett McLean in 95).

Mackinnon puts up 11 pts, more than any Canadian player in a long time. More than RNH, Hall or Seguin. The 1992's had a good tourney a few years and steamrolled the competition, ie: Seguin, Skinner, Toffoli, Couturier, Connolly, etc.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Mackinnon puts up 11 pts, more than any Canadian player in a long time. More than RNH, Hall or Seguin. The 1992's had a good tourney a few years and steamrolled the competition, ie: Seguin, Skinner, Toffoli, Couturier, Connolly, etc.
Yeah, I was just saying that expecting him to put up 15 points easily was just going to lead to disappointment since it's such short tournament and no one else has ever done it.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Yeah, I was just saying that expecting him to put up 15 points easily was just going to lead to disappointment since it's such short tournament and no one else has ever done it.

Plus the quality and depth of all teams is greater now than in the past. There's not too many 12-0 blow-outs in which a player can get 5 or 6 pts.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
It was basically our 'B' team, at least in terms of impact players.
There's no way we have more than a b-team when missing are Miska, Santini, Butcher, McCoshen, Savage, Thompson, Compher, Cammarata, Motte, Fasching, Allen, Kelleher, Louis, etc.

IMHO this "B" team very well could've beaten any US "A" from 5 years+ ago.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Anyone see how Ritchie looked?

Thought he looked really good. That line with him and Horvat established some pretty good cycles early on, and Ritchie ended up moving onto MacKinnon's line (for powerplays?), presumably because he was constantly getting involved everywhere in the Finnish zone. Did a bit of gliding on his back checks, but there's no doubting that he's ahead of the curve when it comes to working a puck possession game in the offensive zone. Solid forechecking, too.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Thought he looked really good. That line with him and Horvat established some pretty good cycles early on, and Ritchie ended up moving onto MacKinnon's line (for powerplays?), presumably because he was constantly getting involved everywhere in the Finnish zone. Did a bit of gliding on his back checks, but there's no doubting that he's ahead of the curve when it comes to working a puck possession game in the offensive zone. Solid forechecking, too.

Thanks for your reply.

Glad to hear he did well.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Is it true that MacKinnon's point total is the second highest of all-time at this tourney? I read somewhere that only Halpern and MacLean in 95 scored 13 for 1st all-time...

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
How did Robert Hägg look in this tournament?
Saw him in all games (except the bronze medal, but there he should have not played, I guess). For me, he was the best player of Piešťany part of tournament till the semifinal match, where he didn't play so well, plus he took totally stupid match penalty after the game as he was apparently not able to stomach the loss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad