2012 Draft Watch Part 2

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Soon after that Langway said he liked Gustafsson over Eberle.
Based on reports of their respective well-roundedness, which is of course comedy at this point. Well-roundedness at 18 doesn't matter if you have zero drive (or lack a complete game yet are very instinctive). It's interesting how a Regina-based player like that slipped through their hands when that's where their head scout is based out of. Carlson was thought to be a mid-to-late first rounder that year...not really off the map.

‏@SportsnetSpec: Good chance both CGY + VAN trade down for organizational depth. Teams with 2 2nds likely to move up: CBJ, TBL, BUF, CAR, MON, DAL.

Perhaps WSH looks to move up from 16 to 14 by adding their second. Either way two of Grigorenko, Faksa, Trouba, Maatta, Lindholm, Ceci & Girgensons seems possible (albeit with the first listed players increasingly only an option at 11). I'm a little wary of a telegraphed Maatta pick at 11 but at 16 he's a no-brainer.

I'd avoid Gaunce, Wilson, Skjei & Aberg.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I remember expecting Carlson to go in the mid-teens (based partly on McKenzie's ranking, IINM). When he was still on the board when the Flyers picked, I remember being sure they would take him. Then I was sure the Rags would take him, then the Devils, then the Ducks (may be getting my orders mixed up but you get the drift).

Then I remember the sense of dread I had when the Caps traded for the 2nd pick. He was on the board and we weren't going to take him, I just knew it.

But thankfully GMGM salvaged the whole situation and all is well.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Lol people weren't too happy with the Alzner pick at the time and now he's many peopke's favorite Dman it seems like and really just what we needed... And a good amount of hate on the Mojo pick at the time but IMO that's great value in the later part of the 1st round and IMO he will be a 60+ point guy for years to come, just needs to put on a few pounds.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
I always liked the Alzner pick.

I LOL at the MaJo hate from the time, but still think he is a good prospect with upside.

Carlson was simply robbery (and I like the AnGus pick at the time, but thought the Caps probably could have drafted him in the second round. Oh well)

Liberati0n*

Perhaps WSH looks to move up from 16 to 14 by adding their second. Either way two of Grigorenko, Faksa, Trouba, Maatta, Lindholm, Ceci & Girgensons seems possible (albeit with the first listed players increasingly only an option at 11). I'm a little wary of a telegraphed Maatta pick at 11 but at 16 he's a no-brainer.

I'd avoid Gaunce, Wilson, Skjei & Aberg.

If they pick Maatta at 11 with Grigorenko available I will absolutely bug. I mean, if they pick anyone other than Faksa there with Grigorenko still around I will.

IkeaMonkey*

Based on reports of their respective well-roundedness, which is of course comedy at this point.

Which just comes full circle as to why forming your own opinions, on other people's opinions is just silly.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
...and why evaluating players based on their on-ice play alone isn't enough either. Teams need to know the person as well (and not just who their father was). Go down another round in that draft and there's Mestery too, another guy that quit.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Funny line from Langway back in the Gus draft...

"TSN compares Carlson stylistically to Komisarek...me likey."

Really TSN....Carlson/Komisarek?

Halpysback*

Well OF COURSE all of us on this board knew who Carlson was and everything there was to know about him, lol. If you look through any prospect/pre draft threads it's obvious we're generally 2-3 steps ahead of GMs in terms of evaluating draft talent. I meant more in terms of NHL GMs being familiar enough with him to pick him in the 1st round over players from higher profile leagues. I'm not sure he would have gone before 30 if McPhee did not pick him in the 1st.

Halpysback*

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=388658

According to this article Grigorenko had 73 points in 39 games, he ended with 85 in 59.

Now if the 12 in last 20 is explained by the mono, we could be talking about him actually being the 1st overall by a long shot.

What? A top prospect from the QMJHL getting his season submarined by mono, dropping like a rock but then proving everyone wrong next year? Outrageous. Would never happen.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
That was a really dumb statement Liberation.

How was it dumb?

A lot of the Quebec posters on this forum think he is far and away better than Yakupov.

A lot of people have also pointed out Yakupov plays like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk, the only problem is he isn't either one of those guys.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The mono supposedly happened in the playoffs toward the end of the second round. Maybe the WJC ankle injury explains the decline in production but then again he's not exactly a player that thrives primarily through pushing the pace to begin with.

IkeaMonkey*

How was it dumb?

A lot of the Quebec posters on this forum think he is far and away better than Yakupov.

A lot of people have also pointed out Yakupov plays like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk, the only problem is he isn't either one of those guys.

Q fans think Q players are better than O players?!

:teach:

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Maybe he started to disappear as physical play ramped up for the playoffs. Would explain the sentiment that he won't perform in crunch time.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Someone did an analysis, and his (Grink's) drop in production came on special teams. His ES production was more-or-less steady even when his overall production decline (before the playoff no-show, at least). Don't know what to make of that.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Funny line from Langway back in the Gus draft...

"TSN compares Carlson stylistically to Komisarek...me likey."

Really TSN....Carlson/Komisarek?

To be fair, that was before Komi became totally awful. I sorta get it, because Carlson's calling card at the time was how dominant he was physically compared to his peers. Kinda glosses over the offensive potential that he was showing even at the time (not to mention the skating) but it could be something of a hedge in case that was only due to the physical advantage. IINM that was the biggest risk associated with him as well.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
NHL Tonight Mock draft had us taking Girgensons at #11 and Maatta at #16. Not sure if that was posted...

Definitely not worst case scenario, although I'd rather both of those guys be targets at the 16th overall, and they had Grigorenko going 17th overall, which better not happen...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad