2012 Draft - 3rd Pick: Jujhar Khaira

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Like many others, I didn't know too much about this pick, but he addresses a team need with his size and offensive abilities. Great pick if he has top nine potential as well. The WCHA route is a good one for players who are going to take a little longer to develop, and as Stu put it, "He's still growing into his body."

I'm liking this draft more, the more I learn about the Oiler's selections in rounds 2-6. Stu and the scouting staff take a different approach in the later part of the draft and turn over all kinds of stones that other teams do not in the later rounds, often finding and selecting the hidden gems. Only time will tell if they are NHL material, but the selections are well considered imo.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
As an east indian, Id like to say that I read through this thread, and after the first few posts was afraid there would be some racist garbage, but, after reading the entire thread, I was pleasantly surprised. Everyone stuck to whats important: the hockey stuff.
Never seen him play. A big guy with a good skill set. I think the US College route is the way to go...allow him some time to really fill out and play against guys who are more men, rather than the boys he's been playing against.
Either way, I think guys like him, esp in a weak draft, are good picks. He has some home run potential, but if he doesnt pan out in that manner, his size means he could carve out a career as 3rd or 4th line grinder...the Kings got some great mileage out of big bodies like Nolan and King, and if that is the worst we can expect (and I realize it isnt necessarily the worst we can expect), its a pretty good pick.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
As an east indian, Id like to say that I read through this thread, and after the first few posts was afraid there would be some racist garbage, but, after reading the entire thread, I was pleasantly surprised. Everyone stuck to whats important: the hockey stuff.
Never seen him play. A big guy with a good skill set. I think the US College route is the way to go...allow him some time to really fill out and play against guys who are more men, rather than the boys he's been playing against.
Either way, I think guys like him, esp in a weak draft, are good picks. He has some home run potential, but if he doesnt pan out in that manner, his size means he could carve out a career as 3rd or 4th line grinder...the Kings got some great mileage out of big bodies like Nolan and King, and if that is the worst we can expect (and I realize it isnt necessarily the worst we can expect), its a pretty good pick.

I don't disagree, but the WHL might be a better measure for him and is a bit better development path. If the worry is getting Educated, he would get that from the WHL I believe.

Either way, he's a big kid with a bit of a mean streak, if he continues to improve and works on his skating, the Oilers will be laughing.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
I don't disagree, but the WHL might be a better measure for him and is a bit better development path. If the worry is getting Educated, he would get that from the WHL I believe.

Either way, he's a big kid with a bit of a mean streak, if he continues to improve and works on his skating, the Oilers will be laughing.

The WHL offers one year of Post Secondary Education and text books for every year he plays. That's 3 years of Education at the most where as the College Scholarship will get him a complete education.

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Liking the responses and the attitude for succeeding. I hope he goes the WHL route but continue with his studies (ENG.). At first I was a little disappointed that they passed on Bozon to pick a "Mikhnov" type of pick but if he's as determine as his coach says he is, this could work out very well.

GXL

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I'm starting to really like this pick. He seems like a driven, talented, and mature guy who shows real NHL potential. Had no idea who he was when his name was called, but he doesn't sound like a stretch in the 3rd round at all.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

I effing love this video and the quotes from the coach, it tells me there's nothing but good things to come for this kid with an attitude like that. This is why interviewing and doing background checks on players can be very important. The amount of information you can glean just from watching his own coach talk about him, even just the body language, is very telling and makes me extremely happy as a fan.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I effing love this video and the quotes from the coach, it tells me there's nothing but good things to come for this kid with an attitude like that. This is why interviewing and doing background checks on players can be very important. The amount of information you can glean just from watching his own coach talk about him, even just the body language, is very telling and makes me extremely happy as a fan.

Agreed, great video. I won't lie, I had never heard of this kid before, but those kinds of accolades are always nice to hear. Big, skilled guy with a mean streak, who is driven to get better. An excellent "swing for the fences" type pick. Stu mentioned that one time Walter Gretzky told him to try to always pick the guy who loves the game. This kid seems to fit that mold.

I will try to keep an eye on him if I can make it down to any of the development camp. And if I can't, I sure hope someone else can give us a scouting report on him.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
Agreed, great video. I won't lie, I had never heard of this kid before, but those kinds of accolades are always nice to hear. Big, skilled guy with a mean streak, who is driven to get better. An excellent "swing for the fences" type pick. Stu mentioned that one time Walter Gretzky told him to try to always pick the guy who loves the game. This kid seems to fit that mold.

I will try to keep an eye on him if I can make it down to any of the development camp. And if I can't, I sure hope someone else can give us a scouting report on him.

I should add, the reason nobody in Edmonton has heard of him is because the Spruce Kings are our Junior B team, its the equivalent of the AJHL. And he was ranked (I believe) 74th overall, so it wasnt really too much of a stretch to pick him where we did.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
they would be smarter to trade for his rights first and then announce he is going to play whl, imo

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
That would be nice if they traded for his right. Theres enough skill and depth that he wouldnt have a lot of pressure, but at the same time that skill and depth would help push him.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I really like what the Oilers are doing with the Oil Kings.

Do any other NHL teams do this?

The last player I remember the Flames had on the Hitmen was Brent Krahn

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Would he get enough minutes on the Oil Kings?

I don't know a whole lot about the Oil Kings, but I assume they are a pretty stacked roster.

What sort of minutes would he see at ES and PP on the Oil Kings?

CanadianCommie

Cold North Comrade
Jul 25, 2006
Sherwood Park, AB
Would he get enough minutes on the Oil Kings?

I don't know a whole lot about the Oil Kings, but I assume they are a pretty stacked roster.

What sort of minutes would he see at ES and PP on the Oil Kings?

The Oil kings are likely to lose a few players on the 3rd/4th lines due to age, so I think there's space for him to at least dip his toe into the 2nd unit PP as well as 3rd line minutes.

Wruck, Peddle, Rachinski, Maxwell, Foster and Pelss could all, presumably, be elsewhere next year due to overage limits as well as being old enough to turn pro if they're ready (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). There is space on the team for him.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Very intriguing pick. Really hope he decides to go the WHL route, as I think it would be best for his development. If he ended up on the Oil Kings, that would be just gravy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad