2011 Canucks vs 2021 Lightning... who wins a 7 game series?

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Assuming both teams are 100% healthy.

On paper I think Tampa is the better team. They have a clear #1 defensman in Hedman obviously, but I think the Canucks had a more deep d-core. I also take Luongo over V.

Tampa offense is much deeper than the Canucks offense. Although I think the top end is equal. Sedins and Kesler probably is about equal to Kucherov, Point, and Stamkos. Canucks offense kinda dried up after the second line though.

Would be a very entertaining series.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I wanted the Canucks to face the Lightning in 2011, because I thought the two teams played a similar style and it would be an entertaining series.

2011 Canucks seems a little too top heavy in comparison to the 2021 Lightning. No matter which line goes head to head against the twins, and whoever Kesler is tapped with shutting down, there's still a third line that is better than anything the Canucks could throw out there. Unless Torres lays out some of the Lightning and evens the odds.

Edit if the 100% healthy includes Malhotra that makes it a little more even, but I think Tampa gets more from their depth scoring wise than Vancouver.

Last edited:

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
I loved Luongo, but Vasilevskiy is better. Him and Hedman would make the difference.

I think they are close but I genuinely think Luongo is the better goalie. V is protected by a very good team. Tampa does not rely on him like the Canucks had to rely on Luongo.

The Hedman factor I can agree on.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Assuming both teams are 100% healthy.

this would be

sedin sedin burrows
raymond kesler samuelsson
torres malhotra hansen
glass lapierre higgins
tambellini/oreskovich/bolduc/hodgson/rypien

hamhuis bieksa
edler ehrhoff
ballard/rome salo
alberts

luongo
schneider

vs

palat point kucherov
killorn cirelli stamkos
goodrow gourde coleman
maroon colton johnson
joseph/stephens/bunch of guys i don't know

hedman rutta
mcdonagh cernak
sergachev savard
schenn/foote

vasi
mcelhinney

that's a really tough one

Reactions: HockeyWooot

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think the Canucks win their first cup in 5 games had the f***ing Lightning scored in Game 7 of the 2011 ECF.

That said. 2021 Lightning beat the 2011 Canucks in 5. This Tampa team is up there with the 2001 Avs, 2002 Red Wings, 2010 Blackhawks.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Fully healthy? Close but I still give the edge to Tampa. You got Vasi, a true #1 D in Hedman, and scoring throughout their lineup.

2011 was still constructed on the mentality of top 6, checking line, 4th line for energy and our 4th is trash compared to Tampa's

Plus. AV never adjusts his game plan. Give the edge to Cooper here.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
if you're talking a straight up time-travel scenario, like the 2011 Canucks are transported into the future to play these lightning then I think Tampa would beat them handily. The NHL is a lot faster and higher skill than it was 10 years ago, and the Lighting epitomize that. They'd skate rings around them.

If you're talking a more comparative approach where we're adjusting for differences in era then I think the 2011 Canucks, who dominated every statistical category all season, would be a tough matchup for any cup finalist in the cap era.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I think they are close but I genuinely think Luongo is the better goalie. V is protected by a very good team. Tampa does not rely on him like the Canucks had to rely on Luongo.

The Hedman factor I can agree on.

Vasilevskiy is so much better - I say this as a nucks fan.

Luongo allowed several 5+ goal games

Reactions: Zippgunn

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
I think the Canucks win their first cup in 5 games had the f***ing Lightning scored in Game 7 of the 2011 ECF.

That said. 2021 Lightning beat the 2011 Canucks in 5. This Tampa team is up there with the 2001 Avs, 2002 Red Wings, 2010 Blackhawks.

The Canucks would have smashed Tampa in 2011. 4-5 games easy. Roloson would have gotten peppered all series.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Plus. AV never adjusts his game plan. Give the edge to Cooper here.

yeah this is probably the x factor

tenor.gif

i said this in the around the league thread, but watching game two gave me 2011 finals PTSD. montreal was totally carrying the play but tampa's huge D was totally dominating them in the slot so all of montreal's shots came from the outside and vasi, while obviously extremely sharp, wasn't really having to break a sweat. meanwhile, tampa scored opportunistic goals against the grain when they found their chances.

but i guess the question is, with a healthy henrik, kesler, manny, plus sammy, would boston's D still have had their way with us like they did?

Reactions: CanuckCity

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
yeah this is probably the x factor

tenor.gif

i said this in the around the league thread, but watching game two gave me 2011 finals PTSD. montreal was totally carrying the play but tampa's huge D was totally dominating them in the slot so all of montreal's shots came from the outside and vasi, while obviously extremely sharp, wasn't really having to break a sweat. meanwhile, tampa scored opportunistic goals against the grain when they found their chances.

but i guess the question is, with a healthy henrik, kesler, manny, plus sammy, would boston's D still have had their way with us like they did?

I think Bostons team was overrated that year. The Canucks lost because of the injuries an awful officiating.

The Rome suspension is still mind numbing.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
The 2011 Canucks were one of the best teams in recent memory not to win a cup, and I firmly believe they would have won if healthy... but this Tampa team is better than the Canucks in every position. Superior goaltending, defense, and a dominant Kucherov.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think team to team no doubt 2011, but when you add coaching… cooper is much better and I like AV.

people are forgetting just how dominant a team we were in 2011 when healthy.

but again I think cooper out coaches AV and Tampa takes it.

Reactions: Indiana

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Similar forward depth, Tb higher top end D but Vancouver stronger D core. Vasi >> Luongo. I give AV the edge in coaching.

If it was a seven game series with a healthy Vancouver, I give the edge to Van. If it was the Van (majority of the roster injured) that actually played vs Boston, then TB. Though it might go to 6-7 as Thomas stood on his head in that series.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
better than the Canucks in every position

the only clear advantage for us is defensive forwards. i would take burrows on our first line vs palat on theirs, kes anchoring our second line vs cirelli, and our third line over theirs (assuming manny never loses that eye).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Whenever we are comparing players/teams from different eras I always assume that the players from the past era would have the benefit of modern day training/nutrition/equipment. Otherwise, it's a pointless comparison.

So assuming that everyone is healthy, I would give the edge to Tampa. Kucherov and Point are producing in the playoffs at a rate that the Sedins didn't match and Hedman is a true #1 Dman. With that said, I think the Canucks would have the edge on the PP and faceoff wins. They also have a deeper defense. If a prime Kesler or healthy Malhotra can shut down the Point Kucherov line, I'm not sure if Tampa can take the series. The Canucks didn't have the best secondary scoring so if the Sedins and the PP are shut down, there's not a whole lot of offense there.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Whenever we are comparing players/teams from different eras I always assume that the players from the past era would have the benefit of modern day training/nutrition/equipment. Otherwise, it's a pointless comparison.

So assuming that everyone is healthy, I would give the edge to Tampa. Kucherov and Point are producing in the playoffs at a rate that the Sedins didn't match and Hedman is a true #1 Dman. With that said, I think the Canucks would have the edge on the PP and faceoff wins. They also have a deeper defense. If a prime Kesler or healthy Malhotra can shut down the Point Kucherov line, I'm not sure if Tampa can take the series. The Canucks didn't have the best secondary scoring so if the Sedins and the PP are shut down, there's not a whole lot of offense there.
The 2011 Canucks generated a lot of offense from their D though. While their scoring depth up front isn't the greatest, their D acts as their secondary scoring, and it was enough to win them the President trophy, as well as scoring one of the highest total goals that season iirc.

I think it goes 7 games and either team have a good chance to win. A injury-riddled Canucks team still takes the Bruins to 7 despite Thomas' amazing play. A completely healthy Kesler, Hamhuis and Malhotra changes the dynamics and as dominant as Tampa is this year, I think it would be a very close series. I guess the X-factor to me is Point and Kucherov. They rack up an insane amount of points this playoff and last, and they were able to do it against Selke level Bergeron and the defensive Islander. Would prime Kesler and Malhotra be able to slow them down? Tough to say. If not Tampa takes it.

Reactions: Indiana

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
We don’t stand a chance even fully healthy because our team that year was too mentally frail and the goaltending was bad. Can’t at all play when trailing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zippgunn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad