2011-2012 NHL TV Ratings Thread

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Yep....this is what happens and the bigger problem for the NHL.
What sells are stars and great play.

The NHL lacks enough stars and by the time finals come teams are so injured you can't tell me the quality of play is the best....this is the challenge for the NHL in my view.

Other question....can anybody tell me where I can find the NBA ratings per market as I'd like to compare how NHL markets are doing for the NBA v NHL final numbers.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Yep....this is what happens and the bigger problem for the NHL.
What sells are stars and great play.

The NHL lacks enough stars and by the time finals come teams are so injured you can't tell me the quality of play is the best....this is the challenge for the NHL in my view.

Other question....can anybody tell me where I can find the NBA ratings per market as I'd like to compare how NHL markets are doing for the NBA v NHL final numbers.

demographics dont help the NHL either.

scotchex

Oct 30, 2008
demographics dont help the NHL either.

What do you mean? Can you be more specific? Normally when I hear people say this what they really mean to say is that they think hockey is "too white". Is that what you mean?

The NBA has very little diversity (whites, hispanics, and asians are all vastly under-represented compared to their #s in the US population) yet Americans of all ethnic backgrounds seem to enjoy the excitement and athleticism of the NBA.

The Heat-Thunder games are getting great ratings even though the vast majority of the fans watching TV are cheering for players from a different ethnic background from themselves. Remember, blacks are only 14% of the US population. The vast majority of the viewers are non-black, but that doesn't seem to be hurting NBA TV ratings.

The sport that most closely matches the ethnic diversity of America is actually MLB -- majority white, with sizable black, hispanic, and asian minority representation.. Weirdly, the word "diverse" seems to be increasingly used to just mean "non-white". Which is odd. An NHL team that is all-white is exactly as diverse as an NBA team that is all-black.

I don't believe people are so racist as to only be willing to support players and leagues that feature stars that match their own ethnicity. And the huge success of the NBA is proof of this. Athletic grace and excellence are more important drivers of fan interest.

And the demographics of MLB is by far the closest match to the actual ethnic diversity of America, but both the NBA and NFL outdraw MLB in TV ratings.

I think ethnic chauvinism is a factor in why people watch certain stars and sports, I just think athletic grace and skill are much more important. I think the lack of black and hispanic interest in the NHL is more to do with unfamiliarity with hockey then ethnic chauvinism. Again the NBA is proof that white, asian, and hispanic fans will happily watch and cheer for an NBA dominated by black star players.

GreatCanadian

Nov 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Well yes and no to a certain extent. In my opinion, fans have to "relate" to players too. It's not JUST about talent. Seeing a guy in the NHL that is similar to them, or might come from the same region as them, makes them want to cheer for that player.

I certainly have nothing against different ethnicities in the NHL. I think it's fantastic. But you can't tell me you would necessarily cheer as much for a team that has 13 russians, 3 czechs, 2 swedes, 2 kazakhs, and not a single canadian player on the team. It would feel like watching a KHL team. Mind you, Russian fans would love it!

On a side note, I think that is something that would help the sunbelt NHL teams IMMENSELY by the way... if there were home-grown NHLers from Arizona, Georgia, Tenessee etc. Guys that grew up in Tempe or Scottsdale or Memphis and went through the same minor hockey system that those kids are going through. Almost any Canadian knows of a local boy that made it big in the NHL. Fans do connect to that stuff. But it's something we never think about. What if none of the players in a particular league had any real connection to my region/country? And I think ratings would skyrocket if sunbelt fans HAD local players on their teams.

So yeah, ethnicity and nationality matters too.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
And the demographics of MLB is by far the closest match to the actual ethnic diversity of America, but... the NBA outdraw(s) MLB in TV ratings.

Only from a national ratings standpoint. Baseball kills basketball for local team games.

Baseball is very much like hockey in that's it's very tribal. Tons of people only want to watch their team play, and don't care once their's is eliminated. Basketball is the opposite, where many don't care about their local team because they know they don't have any chance to win the title, but then they get really into the playoffs.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Only from a national ratings standpoint. Baseball kills basketball for local team games.

Yup. Dragging out those '09/'09-'10 SportsMediaWatch numbers:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2010/04/local-on-eights-ratings-for-nba-mlb-and/

The only markets where the NBA team drew higher local RSN ratings than MLB were LA (not too surprising), DC (which is as much a statement about the pathetic Nats than love of the Wizards), and Cleveland (before LBJ took his talents to South Beach).

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
What do you mean? Can you be more specific? Normally when I hear people say this what they really mean to say is that they think hockey is "too white". Is that what you mean?

The NBA has very little diversity (whites, hispanics, and asians are all vastly under-represented compared to their #s in the US population) yet Americans of all ethnic backgrounds seem to enjoy the excitement and athleticism of the NBA.

The Heat-Thunder games are getting great ratings even though the vast majority of the fans watching TV are cheering for players from a different ethnic background from themselves. Remember, blacks are only 14% of the US population. The vast majority of the viewers are non-black, but that doesn't seem to be hurting NBA TV ratings.

The sport that most closely matches the ethnic diversity of America is actually MLB -- majority white, with sizable black, hispanic, and asian minority representation.. Weirdly, the word "diverse" seems to be increasingly used to just mean "non-white". Which is odd. An NHL team that is all-white is exactly as diverse as an NBA team that is all-black.

I don't believe people are so racist as to only be willing to support players and leagues that feature stars that match their own ethnicity. And the huge success of the NBA is proof of this. Athletic grace and excellence are more important drivers of fan interest.

And the demographics of MLB is by far the closest match to the actual ethnic diversity of America, but both the NBA and NFL outdraw MLB in TV ratings.

I think ethnic chauvinism is a factor in why people watch certain stars and sports, I just think athletic grace and skill are much more important. I think the lack of black and hispanic interest in the NHL is more to do with unfamiliarity with hockey then ethnic chauvinism. Again the NBA is proof that white, asian, and hispanic fans will happily watch and cheer for an NBA dominated by black star players.
Junior hockey has failed to connect with minorities, and kids in general. It's too expensive.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Junior hockey has failed to connect with minorities, and kids in general. It's too expensive.

One reason why NHL/NHLPA, and many local teams/individual players, have been stepping up with equipment and $$ as part of a number of programs, including the NHL Diversity program.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
One reason why NHL/NHLPA, and many local teams/individual players, have been stepping up with equipment and $$ as part of a number of programs, including the NHL Diversity program.

St>paul high school hockey is virtually dead beacuse the two youth hockey programs left dont do anything to reach out despite the fact they knew the demographics were changing for years.They only reason we have any youth hockey left in the twin cities is because of the private school kids. Same thing in scarborough toronto. Nobody is doing crap at to expand the game at the youth level .

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Baseball is very much like hockey in that's it's very tribal. Tons of people only want to watch their team play, and don't care once their's is eliminated. Basketball is the opposite, where many don't care about their local team because they know they don't have any chance to win the title, but then they get really into the playoffs.

And this is why the NFL is the only league with any credibility, just about every team is on a level footing financially, there is parity, the draft works.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
That's good to hear.

St>paul high school hockey is virtually dead beacuse the two youth hockey programs left dont do anything to reach out despite the fact they knew the demographics were changing for years.They only reason we have any youth hockey left in the twin cities is because of the private school kids. Same thing in scarborough toronto. Nobody is doing crap at to expand the game at the youth level .

Well like I said, this is the entire reason for southern expansion whether some want to believe it or not.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
California is one of top 5 states in college recruits. I was at awe when i heard this.

eliostar

May 28, 2008
Toronto

yes it is "too white", happy now

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The NHL doesn't lack diversity. The NHL is probably the most diverse of the four major professional sports leagues. It features players from a dozen different countries, hailing from different cultures, speaking different languages, etc.

Contrast that with, say the NFL, which is not diverse at all. 99% of the players come from the same country, the same culture, and speak the same language. Sure, you have the occasional Canadian, or Aussie kicker or something, but they're comparatively rare.

Basketball - again, generally dominated by Americans. Not very diverse. A few notable Europeans.

Baseball is more diverse. Lots of players from Latin America, the Caribbean, and Japan.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The NHL doesn't lack diversity. The NHL is probably the most diverse of the four major professional sports leagues. It features players from a dozen different countries, hailing from different cultures, speaking different languages, etc.

Contrast that with, say the NFL, which is not diverse at all. 99% of the players come from the same country, the same culture, and speak the same language. Sure, you have the occasional Canadian, or Aussie kicker or something, but they're comparatively rare.

Basketball - again, generally dominated by Americans. Not very diverse. A few notable Europeans.

Baseball is more diverse. Lots of players from Latin America, the Caribbean, and Japan.
All those players are from Nordic, Anglo Saxon or Slavic cultures. Basketball is also not very diverse.

scotchex

Oct 30, 2008
yes it is "too white", happy now

I honestly don't get your point. Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing, or being sarcastic, or what.

I was just trying to understand the other guy's point. I've heard the "too white" complaint before and am always taken aback when people express such open bigotry.

scotchex

Oct 30, 2008
One problem is there's no definition of "diversity".

The broadest definition would just be mirroring the ethnic balance of the entire planet, but that's a ludicrous idea. And 40% of every team would have to be Chinese and Indian.

In the US "diversity" gets used in a very limited way -- largely just to mean non-white. It's stupid, but that is how the term is used informally. So the wide range of European born players in the NHL just get lumped in with the white Americans and Canadians as white, and therefore not "diverse".

Again, it's stupid, but the average American thinks of the NFL as much more "diverse" than the NHL. Even though the NHL pretty much only has white and black American-born players who all speak English, there are small number of hispanics and occasionally one or two asian guys. There used to be European-born kickers, but nowadays the kickers tend to be American-born. There are a good # of Samoans from ... American Samoa ... that's about as diverse as the NFL gets.

The NFL has almost no national diversity or linguistic diversity, but it has many prominent black players and coaches, which is all that most people notice.

Most people seem to think of "diversity" as something you can see in a group photo. So ten white guys in a photo = non-diverse. Even if the ten white guys speak 10 different languages and were born in 10 different countries. It doesn't count, cause in a still picture they have roughly similar skin tones.

Same person can see a picture of 5 white guys and 5 black guys all born and raised in the same suburb of Atlanta, Georgia and attending the same high school and think, ah, what a diverse group!

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
Gotta say, last year's NBA finals was great. I was really into it, hoping for LeBron to lose.....this year I haven't made it past a half, just lost interest and couldn't care less who wins...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad