2010 NHL draft prospects

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Having seen yesterday's game Jokerit Kalpa on tv (free on cable), I fear Pulkkinen might have to wait a long time for his first goal. Unless he gets a better center than Tomi Mäki, that is. Granted, Kalpa held on to the puck so much the whole team didn't have much scoring chances but he didn't get a single shot or even a shot opportunity. The one situation where he had his stick up ready for a shot(2-1 near the Kalpa goal) but Mäki failed to make a pass (or take the shot himself). For his sake, I really hope Aravirta reads Jatkoaika and tries some of the line combinations that the similarly concerned Jokerit fans have drawn up. Frustrating to see Pulkkinen offensive potential wasted on such a line, or rather center.

I thought exactly the same, when I saw that horrible pass attempt from Mäki, that would have been a goal if he knew how to make a saucer pass. I dont know why Mäki is even playing the center position, he was an average winger in his junior years. Very frustrating situation for Pulkkinen, hopefully he succees in WJC and U18WJC.

FINNtastic

Apr 24, 2004
If the most promising player from Finland since, maybe T.Ruutu/O.Jokinen/S.Koivu is projected to be 60+ player in NHL then...IMO that really shows that Finlands hockey is on slump:) Ruutu,Koivu and Jokinen were projected to be point/game players in the NHL. Ruutu and Koivu were both on that pace, for a half of a season but they both had suffered numerous injuries in their careers. Jokinen has stayed healthy, and he has few 90 points seasons under his belt.

Of course it is very hard to say what kind of point totals Granlund can score in his prime (what team will draft him, who he plays with, injuries). But IF he doesnt suffer any major injuries in his career and continues to develop at the same rate as he has this far, I´d expect him to be the next Finn who scores 90-100 points in the NHL. He has just too much offensive potential to be regarded as "only" 60-70 point player. But we´ll just have to wait and see.

Well I didn't say he'd be a 60-70 point player... I said he'd be a 60+ point player, so to make my point clearer I think MG will be at least a 60-point player in the NHL. Sorry about that.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought exactly the same, when I saw that horrible pass attempt from Mäki, that would have been a goal if he knew how to make a saucer pass. I dont know why Mäki is even playing the center position, he was an average winger in his junior years. Very frustrating situation for Pulkkinen, hopefully he succees in WJC and U18WJC.

Well in today's game against Kärpät he's playing with Ossi Saarinen and Janne Hauhtonen. Not showing on the score sheet so far. If Janne Lahti picked up a bigger injury, maybe he'll see some PP time.

Grove

Mar 19, 2007
Pulkkinen was credited with the second assist on 3-2 goal against Kärpät, so he also now has his first SM-liiga point. Still hoping to see a goal.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Troy Rutkowski started off the season with 2 goals and an assist last night and was a +4.

Seen some people with him in the second round but I think he'll move up into the first round. had 6 goals last season as a 16 year old.

As for WHL defenseman i've got him as #2. Pysyk is better but not by as much as you'd think.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
i think you all forgot nino niederreiter. he`s one of the best swiss forwards i`ve ever seen. gave his national league A debut at 16 years with swiss champion HC Davos
after registering 39 goals and 26 assists for 65 points in 32 games with the U18 team…In 2006-07 he posted 43 goals and 19 assists for 62 points in 32 games with the U18 team.
he also scored 6 points in 6 games during the junior world cup last year.
had a goal and 2 assists on saturday in his WHL-debut.

in my opinion, he could be a top 20 draft in 2010!

player profile nino niederreiter

JT 91 NYI*

Taylor Hall + John Tavares + Kyle Okposo + Josh Bailey = Juggernaut

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i think you all forgot nino niederreiter. he`s one of the best swiss forwards i`ve ever seen. gave his national league A debut at 16 years with swiss champion HC Davos
after registering 39 goals and 26 assists for 65 points in 32 games with the U18 team…In 2006-07 he posted 43 goals and 19 assists for 62 points in 32 games with the U18 team.
he also scored 6 points in 6 games during the junior world cup last year.
had a goal and 2 assists on saturday in his WHL-debut.

in my opinion, he could be a top 20 draft in 2010!

player profile nino niederreiter

I'd be surprised if he's not a top 15 pick..

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
I'd be surprised if he's not a top 15 pick..

he's one of those players who even if he "busts" he'll still be a very good third liner. When I see him I see a player who can protect the puck, stickhandle in a phone booth, get to top speed (which is very quick) in just a few quick strides. He's got good hockey sense and was surprisingly physical. One of the things that stands out is he's just able to make things happen, can avoid a defender to keep a play going and back checks well. Very big fan from my short exposure to him, some people had jacob berglund rated higher which I just don't understand

Ams1fan

Sep 10, 2009
But Nino is playing in the WHL this year.

Niedereitter is a stud, and I think he'll be a first rounder for sure. He's playing for Portland in the WHL this year which is a smart move because the automatic knock of playing in Switzerland won't be there. He'll have proved that he can play the North American style in the most physical of the 3 CHL leagues. I saw Portland play 2 preseason games last weekend and he was by far the best player on the ice in both games.

My team (the Tri-City Americans) are playing Portland this Friday and I'm already wondering how we'll stop him. He's big, fast, and has great hands.

Portland's been at the bottom of the barrel for 3 years, but I think they'll win the division this year in large part to Nino Niedereitter.

FINNtastic

Apr 24, 2004
Mikael Granlund has three assists against JYP. HIFK leads 4-3 with 6 minutes left in the game. Season totals for Granlund are 1+5 in 7 games.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
An amazing game from MG, happy that they showed it on urheilukanava. Really looking forward to see how the kid can hold up in a long season in a real mens' league!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad