2010 Blackhawks vs 2022 Avalanche

Who Would Win?

• Total voters

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I don’t know what Chicago’s nutrition was like as a team in 2010, id assume it would be good. But one thing I do know, the reason Colorado was so fast is not only talent, but mackinnon’s nutrition charge on chick pea pasta and making themselves as lean as possible to get any speed edge they could get. If your the first to the puck, it’s better then being second to the puck

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm a Hawks fan and in this matchup, the weakness of the Sopel-Boynton pairing would make me really nervous in this matchup.

The Hawks dominance also coincided with a mini DPE so I wonder how much scoring being down from 2010-2015 helped them.

I think if you ripped the Hawks from 2010, and played the Avs they would get beaten. The NHL is so, so much better than it was even 12 years ago. But against the field, I think the 2010 Hawks on paper were more stacked vs. the 2010 league than the Avs are against the league now.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
IMO the real cap-era contender against the Avs would be a tie between the Wings and the Ducks. Avs would out skate the Hawks, but the Wings would be a real possession threat and the Ducks would be a real physical/shutdown threat. Possibly Kings but I feel like the speed could break them like it did the Bolts.

Aside from those teams, there's not many cap era runs that would give me concern to go the distance and beat this team. Their speed and puck possession were incredible and when down they always shifted into another gear laying seige to any goalie in their way. Niemi/Crawford wouldn't have stopped that, you'd need that crazy run from Giggy or Quick in front of an insane team defense. Or simply out possess the Avs like the Wings could do with Lidstrom, Rafalski, Dats and Zetter.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Even when the Avs sucked they played the Dynasty Hawks pretty well. Their team speed is just out of this world.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
IMO the real cap-era contender against the Avs would be a tie between the Wings and the Ducks. Avs would out skate the Hawks, but the Wings would be a real possession threat and the Ducks would be a real physical/shutdown threat. Possibly Kings but I feel like the speed could break them like it did the Bolts.

Aside from those teams, there's not many cap era runs that would give me concern to go the distance and beat this team. Their speed and puck possession were incredible and when down they always shifted into another gear laying seige to any goalie in their way. Niemi/Crawford wouldn't have stopped that, you'd need that crazy run from Giggy or Quick in front of an insane team defense. Or simply out possess the Avs like the Wings could do with Lidstrom, Rafalski, Dats and Zetter.

I think the 2016 Pens would be interesting. They were also a fast team that played fast and dominanted possession and had a dominant scoring 3rd line that might be the difference-maker.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

The 07 ducks vs 22 avs would be interesting.

Would likely depend on what era you are playing in tho.

Takes place in 07 i think ducks would physically beat em down

Takes place in 22 and i think the ducks would spend majority of the game shorthanded, the change in how you play defense would have killed that 07 roster vs a team with the skating of the avs.

Reactions: Lonewolfe2015

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Even when the Avs sucked they played the Dynasty Hawks pretty well. Their team speed is just out of this world.

I still remember being one 7 Avs jerseys in the United Center when my friend & I went to see Varly ended Kane’s point streak. People were so mad at her for bringing along an Avs fan :laugh:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Takes place in 22 and i think the ducks would spend majority of the game shorthanded, the change in how you play defense would have killed that 07 roster vs a team with the skating of the avs.

Good point. I was imagining this exercise as magically teleporting a cap-era cup team in time to play the Avs and everything being as-is (e.g. No benefit of new training/equipment, change in rules, etc).

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Those old Blackhawk teams would crush the Avs, IMO. Lining up against Toews, Bolland, Bickell, Hjalmarsson, Buff, prime Hossa, Keith, Seabrook...man they had a lot of guys who could shut you down.

I would also take the Red Wings of that era over the Avs as well.

The Hawks roster was ridiculous, they had 9 top 6 forwards.

The poll results are just a matter of what have you done for me lately. Those Hawks teams had to shut down prime Dats/Zetts/Lids and prime Crosby/Malkin, which is a tougher task than shutting down Mac/Rants/Makar. You add to that having the insane offensive depth. Damn.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Hawks roster was ridiculous, they had 9 top 6 forwards.

Thats a bit of a stretch. They had middle 6 guys that may have gone on to play top 6 on weaker teams that lacked the talent to push them down the lineup, but they were still firmly middle 6 talent.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

It's really odd to say a team from 07 would spend the game shorthanded, since the rules were actually enforced at that point vs. whatever the refs have been doing for the last 12 years.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I can't imagine genuinely thinking this given how many fewer powerplays there are now vs back in 07 (or really any other time in NHL history). Literally 40% fewer now vs back then.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I’m surprised so many are saying Avs forwards are better. That’s a clear advantage for Hawks IMO. Maybe people are forgetting how good players like Maddon and Brouwer were. Guys like Kopecky and Bickell couldn’t even break the starting 12. Bolland was also a SENSATIONAL 3C. The Avs didn’t have as strong of a 3rd line, or bottom 6 in general. And also Toews/Kane/Hossa/Sharp > MacKinnon/Rantanen/Landeskog/Kadri

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’m surprised so many are saying Avs forwards are better. That’s a clear advantage for Hawks IMO. Maybe people are forgetting how good players like Maddon and Brouwer were. Guys like Kopecky and Bickell couldn’t even break the starting 12. Bolland was also a SENSATIONAL 3C. The Avs didn’t have as strong of a 3rd line, or bottom 6 in general. And also Toews/Kane/Hossa/Sharp > MacKinnon/Rantanen/Landeskog/Kadri

...Kopecky played 91 games for them that year, Bickell hadn't broken through yet, and by 2010, Madden was far from the Selke winner he once was...

Bolland was a beast but there was a sizeable step down from him & Byfuglein (who was even more important than Bolland IMO) to Versteeg, Brouwer, Ladd, etc...just like we had a sizeable step down from Nichushkin & Lehkonen (our 5th & 6th most important forwards) to Burakovsky, Compher, Newhook, etc.

I guess I just don't see what's surprising when the top 4s were this close; when the 5th & 6th forwards were so close; when the 7-9th forwards were also a toss-up; and when the only clear win for either team is Colorado's 4th line :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: