2010 Blackhawks vs 2022 Avalanche

Who Would Win?

• Total voters

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
Lots of players have said the league is a lot faster and more skilled now than it was even 10 years ago, so I voted Avs. The teams are similar relative to their actual competition though.

Reactions: wetcoast

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
People forget how deep the 2010 Blackhawks were.

Their blueline was ridiculously stacked and they had great depth behind their big 4 forwards (Kane, Toews, Hossa, & Sharp)...but they look more stacked than they were because a lot of that depth was just depth at that time. Your Ladd's & Byfuglien's weren't yet the stars they would later go on to become.

Kinda like if Newhook goes on to become a 70+ pt player and people start talking about these avs as having stars even on their third line. Newhook could go on to become a star as soon as next season, but for this run, he was "just depth".

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I give the edge to Colorado up front, Chicago on D, and a wash in net.

Chicago had the tough opponents to get to the cup, Colorado had the tougher opponent in the finals.

My gut says Colorado would win a 7 game series, but it would be pretty close to a coin-flip.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Head to head Colorado would clean up, the game is so much faster now and even then the Avs made their competition look very slow.

Relative to the rest of the league it's pretty close. Chicago was a stacked team but Colorado imo is a special team that may change the way teams play moving forward.

Reactions: McJedi

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Chicago was stacked and better on paper, but this Avs team was special. Every piece just fit.

Think i'd give a slight edge to the Avs, something like 52/48 odds.

Reactions: McJedi

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Immediately thought Hawks when reading the poll, but after letting nostalgia fade, my choice is Colorado.

Would certainly be close and isn't really a level playing field given the speed of the game now compared to then.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Their blueline was ridiculously stacked and they had good depth behind their big 4 forwards (Kane, Toews, Hossa, & Sharp)...but they look more stacked than they were because a lot of that depth was just gritty depth at that time. Your Ladd's & Byfuglien's weren't yet the stars they would later go on to become.

Kinda like if Newhook goes on to become a 70+ pt player and people start talking about these avs as having stars even on their third line. Newhook could go on to become a star as soon as next season, but for this run, he was "just depth".
Byfuglien was straight up dominant as a forward on this playoff run. It’d be interesting to see how the Avs would have defended him if Chris Pronger couldn’t move the guy.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Byfuglien was straight up dominant as a forward on this playoff run. It’d be interesting to see how the Avs would have defended him if Chris Pronger couldn’t move the guy.

True, buff was basically a much slower Nichushkin during that run :sarcasm:

...being serious, I should've written "great depth behind their big 4 forwards[...]" rather than calling it merely "good". As that depth was great that year...not just Buff & Ladd, but they also got significant contributions from Bolland, Brouwer; even Versteeg still had it!

I was just trying to point out that this wasn't yet the workhorse-#1-blueliner Buff or 60pt-letter-wearing Ladd, that many of us remember those players as.

Last edited:
Reactions: tucker3434

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm a Hawks fan and in this matchup, the weakness of the Sopel-Boynton pairing would make me really nervous in this matchup.

The Hawks dominance also coincided with a mini DPE so I wonder how much scoring being down from 2010-2015 helped them.

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Good poll, however one request: Please provide the team roster and/or lines in the OP for these kinds of polls. One cant simply remember the 2010 team.

If my memory isn't failing me the Hawks iced at least at times in finals

Byfuglien-Toews-Kane
Brouwer-Sharp-Hossa
Ladd-Bolland-Versteeg
Eager-Madden-Kopecky
(Burish, Bickell, Fraser as extra's)

Keith-Seabrook
Campbell-Hjalmarsson
Hendry-Sopel
(Boynton)

Niemi
Huet

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If my memory isn't failing me the Hawks iced at least at times in finals

Byfuglien-Toews-Kane
Brouwer-Sharp-Hossa
Ladd-Bolland-Versteeg
Eager-Madden-Kopecky
(Burish, Bickell, Fraser as extra's)

Keith-Seabrook
Campbell-Hjalmarsson
Hendry-Sopel
(Boynton)

Niemi
Huet

Here are the pt totals for their top 9 as well (regular season; playoffs)

Kane - 88 in 82; 28 in 22
Toews - 68 in 76; 29 in 22
Sharp - 66 in 82; 22 in 22
Hossa - 51 in 57; 15 in 22

Bolland - 16 in 39; 16 in 22
Brouwer - 40 in 78; 8 in 19
Byfuglein - 34 in 82; 16 in 22
Ladd - 38 in 82; 6 in 19
Versteeg - 44 in 78; 14 in 22

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Chicago was stacked and better on paper, but this Avs team was special. Every piece just fit.

Think i'd give a slight edge to the Avs, something like 52/48 odds.
I know the feeling. Trouble is the 2010 Hawks had "it" as well. I loved watching you guys so much this year because you could tell from the start of the playoffs and watching every game that the Avs were winning the Cup. You guys did everything right out there except for goaltending. Tons of fun to see Colorado win the Cup as even in 2013 the Avs speed always gave the Hawks dynasty trouble

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
A decade in the NHL is like 45 years of advances in telecommunications.

Look how slow a 1999 team like the champion contender Buffalo sabres were. Half their players fall down trying to skate backwards and their goalie flops around like a fish.

That's the same era difference as the Hawks to the Aves.

Half the Hawks players probably didn't own smart phones to watch replays. The ipad wasn't even invented until 2016. And the Hawks had no vaccines so covid would have put them all out of action for 4 months at a time.

Advanced stats back in 2010 were limited to AE/60 and plus minus so the Aves pro scouting has a significant advantage. Not to mention MacKinnon has a the highest confirmed AE/60 of the salary cap era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad