- Magnus Pääjärvi
- Victor Hedman
- Peter Andersson
- Niclas Burström
- Tim Erixon
- Anton Lander
- Oliver Ekman-larsson
- Anton Mylläri

etc. etc.. Sweden has never been deeper.
Just wondering.. does 2009 looks like (2yrs away from the event) the most promising draft ever for Sweden?

and more..
how has Pääjärvi been developing along the last year? (let's say since the last time you talked about him..)
At the moment would you still consider him the top prospect out of Sweden for that year or did Hedman overtake that title for you as well?
(one last thing..i can't resist asking this foolish question:
did ever exist a pro hockey player with three 'ä' in his name?? :naughty:
ehm, maybe i should think about Finns and not Suedes :innocent: Jarvenpaa maybe? always liked that name and the player also)

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
2009 > 2003
mark my words, best draft ever !

I highly doubt it. Tavares looks sick, and there are alot of good prospects in the draft, but we do tend to overhype every draft year. 2007 was supposed to be a very good draft, now it is just regarded as an average year. Every year is laballed great, and when the draft gets closer people tend to realise it isn't as good as they thought it was.

2003 is ridiculous and at this point in time i don't see how anyone can say 2009 will be better. It might be, but it is unlikely.

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
(one last thing..i can't resist asking this foolish question:
did ever exist a pro hockey player with three 'ä' in his name?? :naughty:
ehm, maybe i should think about Finns and not Suedes :innocent: Jarvenpaa maybe? always liked that name and the player also)

In the NHL there's Ossi Väänänen in Colorado. It's not that rare: Teemu Jääskeläinen (CHI #205 -01), Tero Määttä (Sharks' illustrious 2nd rounder in 2000) etc.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
"how has Pääjärvi been developing along the last year? (let's say since the last time you talked about him..)"
He is no longer considered the top prospects from Sweden for this draft year. Most have him in the top 5 or so though. For me personally, it is probably 1. Hedman, 2. Lander, 3. Pääjärvi. He was physically more developed than the other players in his age group, which was a reason why he was so dominant 1-2 years ago. Still good and playing as a regular in the Swedish U20 league, but not looking as "special" as before.

"did ever exist a pro hockey player with three 'ä' in his name?? :naughty: "
I assume Ossi Väänänen rings a bell? :)
More players here, should you have an urge: http://www.eurohockey.net/players/search_player.mpl?firstname=&lastname=*%E4%E4*%E4*

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I highly doubt it. Tavares looks sick, and there are alot of good prospects in the draft, but we do tend to overhype every draft year. 2007 was supposed to be a very good draft, now it is just regarded as an average year. Every year is laballed great, and when the draft gets closer people tend to realise it isn't as good as they thought it was.

2003 is ridiculous and at this point in time i don't see how anyone can say 2009 will be better. It might be, but it is unlikely.

2003 draft wasnt as top heavy as the 2009 draft...
and the talent is everywhere and we're still 2 years and half before the draft !
also 2007 is not a bad draft but the top talent are nothing special and the hype surrounding it is not that big!

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Have not seen him yet, but will this weekend. From what I have heard, skating and mobility is his flaw. Although I will be able to make my own opinion this weekend :)

- Patrik Cehlin
- Jacob Josefsson
- William Wallén
- Casper carning
- Carl Klingberg
- Henrik Björklund
- Alexander Jirhage
- Magnus Pääjärvi
- Victor Hedman
- Peter Andersson
- Niclas Burström
- Tim Erixon
- Anton Lander
- Oliver Ekman-larsson
- Anton Mylläri

etc. etc.. Sweden has never been deeper.

I just realized that David Rundblad, 2nd best defenseman of team 90 is also 2009 eligble.))))))

Nanne

Aug 2, 2005
Montréal
here is my top 30

1. John Tavares. Center. Oshawa
2. Andre Kuchin. Center. Russia
3. Steve Anthony. Forward. Dartmouth
4. Matthew Duchene. Forward. OHL
5. Toni Rajala. Forward. Ilves
6. Victor Hedman. Defense. Modo
7. Magnus Pääjärvi. Forward. Malmo
8. Ryan O’Reilly. Forward. Jr Canad
9. Landon Ferraro. Forward. WHL
10. Jared Cowen. Defense. Saskatoon
11. AJ Treais. Forward. US HS
12. Stefan Elliot—Defense—WHL
13. Sam Calabrese. Defense. US U17
14. Kenny Ryan. Forward. Honey Baked
15. John Henrion. Forward. BJB
16. Jacob Josefson. Forward. Djurgarden
17. Jere Ringbom. Goalie. Lukko
18. Tomas Vincour. Forward. Kometo
19. Alexei Avatev. Forward. Omsk
20. Louis Leblanc. Forward. Quebec
21. Jordan Caron. Forward. Rimouski
22. William Wallen. Forward. Sweden
23. Ben Hughes. Defense. SSM
24. Ryan Howes. Forward. WHL
25. Anton Lander. Forward. Timera
26. Oleg Li. Forward. Dynamo
27. Gabriel O’Connor. Defense. Halifax
28. Cody Eakin. Forward. WHL
29. Olivier Roy-Bellevance. Goalie. Quebec
30. Simon Despres. Defense. Laval
31. Peter Holland. Forward. OHL

I don't know if Yann Sauvé for St. John in Q is eligible for 2009 (or maybe 2008). At 16 he yet have 6'3 214 lbs and 12 points for a very bad team. He played in the Russian contest... And he was the firt pick for the Q.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
I don't know if Yann Sauvé for St. John in Q is eligible for 2009 (or maybe 2008). At 16 he yet have 6'3 214 lbs and 12 points for a very bad team. He played in the Russian contest... And he was the firt pick for the Q.

Most players drafted in the '06 QMJHL Draft are eligible for selection in the '08 NHL Draft in Ottawa. As for the '09 Draft in Montreal, I'd like to put a name in for a young kid named Joshua Lazowski. He led the AMBHL in scoring last season with a league record 118 points and 56 goals, which was eclipsed by Edmonton prospect Burke Gallimore at 57 (the new record). He was selected 87th overall in the WHL Draft by Seattle, and is currently 6th overall in AMHL scoring with 43 points in 30 games.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
In the NHL there's Ossi Väänänen in Colorado. It's not that rare: Teemu Jääskeläinen (CHI #205 -01), Tero Määttä (Sharks' illustrious 2nd rounder in 2000) etc.
Predatore said:
I assume Ossi Väänänen rings a bell?
I guess i was fooled by two things:
-if i am not wrong, those 'ä' usually appear as common 'a' on non-scandinavian websites. I didn't know Jääskeläinen's 3 'a' were actually all 'ä' . Heck, now i am left wondering.. does even exist the normal 'a' in Finnish language??
-As i somehow realized myself in that previous post, being Pääjärvi technically Swede i didn't think about Finns at first..

btw Predatore, thanks for your punctual (yet somehow disappointing in the contents) reply. :)

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I know it's early but could you guys rank the 2007, 2008, and 2009 draft classes for me? I'm pretty much clueless on 2008 and 2009 prospects.

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
The best two Finns heading to 2009 draft are (at the moment) Toni Rajala and Erik Haula. There aren't any other top contenders yet visible now. Situations of course change, there is quite much time still...

EDIT: Noticed Jere Ringbom on scoutman1's post... Notice that Haula "tortured" Ringbom with 4+3 in a junior C game lately (his only C game this season). Pretty weird that he is around 60th position on junior C scoring list after just one game...

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
I guess i was fooled by two things:
-if i am not wrong, those 'ä' usually appear as common 'a' on non-scandinavian websites. I didn't know Jääskeläinen's 3 'a' were actually all 'ä' . Heck, now i am left wondering.. does even exist the normal 'a' in Finnish language??
-As i somehow realized myself in that previous post, being Pääjärvi technically Swede i didn't think about Finns at first..

Sure does, "ä" (and "ö" also) is just a letter like "a", "b", "c" etc. What makes it a bit confusing to a foreigner is that those non-scandinavian websites don't identify these special characters. Therefore the differentiation between "a" and "ä" might be difficult to perceive.

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
Watch Jordan Caron. That guy is a late 90 and he's been brillant with the Nics, even in a miserable season. Good speed, size and shot. He's got all the tools.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I do appreciate the effort, but the state of Minnesota has been averaging 4 players in the first round...as usual, 'experts' don't even have the state on its radar.

6-1 Ben Hanowski, currently 3rd as just a sophomore in MSHS (a league that has been delivering several top round picks a year) and is in the running to break the leagues record in scoring.

6-4 Seth Helgason, Minnesota defense recruit (a team that has had as many recent top round defensemen and hobey baker winners as about any team in recent times) that put in 5 goals the night he committed.

I'm waiting for the 2009 version of...who's this Okposo guy?
Hanowski looks good right now, but IMHO, Edina's Zach Budish is a better prospect. He'll go in the first round, and you can write that down.

None of the smaller guys from Minnesota look like first rounders, but this is an exceptionally talented class for the MNHSL as well. Basically, I agree that this will be a good draft year, and I agree that about 3 or 4 MNHSL kids will be in first round territory (most likely the ones that commit to UMN, UND, and WI).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad