2007 NHL draft

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Anybody ever heard of Josh or Jeremy Schappert who played for the Seattle T-Birds as 16 year olds last year? Any projections on if or where they will be drafted?

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
scoutman1 said:
yeah but who would you move down in order to raise Hamill? Hamill is good I agree, but IMO this whole draft is awsome for the 1sts two or three rounds.
Yeah it's really hard to take someone of the top 10. What do you think about David Skokan and Colton Sceviour? First round material?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
orangeandblack said:
pat kane will be a top 5-10 pick in my opinion. he will have every opportunity to succeed next year in london. i think he will score 100 points next season. you should add brandon sutter and bill sweatt. i doubt gillies and o'brien will go that high. van riemsdyk could also climb those rankings pretty quickly.

It'll be nice to see Vanny rise a lot. Man alive is he a nice kid. Super talented, but also SUPER nice. Very classy kid.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Also, Colton Gilles anyone on here see him play on a regular basis? When i saw him I wasn't overly impressed. He's a big kid but I can;t see him being a top 10 next season unless he makes considerable strides in his game this summer and over the course of the season.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
ktownhockey said:
Also, Colton Gilles anyone on here see him play on a regular basis? When i saw him I wasn't overly impressed. He's a big kid but I can;t see him being a top 10 next season unless he makes considerable strides in his game this summer and over the course of the season.

well here is why Gillies is very highly thought of right now

1. Big Kid
2. Best big skater in sometime (smooth, speed, strength, agility)
3. super mean
4. Hits and Hits hard
5. Shows raw offensive skill including a nice shot

Gillies will come back stronger, faster and a little better developed next year, he is very talented just very raw. But his upside is pretty damn high right now, so of course next year will be the deciding factor if he is worthy and did everything he should have in the off season to have gotten better.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
scoutman1 said:

1. Big Kid
3. super mean
4. Hits and Hits hard

Gillies will come back stronger, faster and a little better developed next year, he is very talented just very raw. But his upside is pretty damn high right now, so of course next year will be the deciding factor if he is worthy and did everything he should have in the off season to have gotten better.

I really appreciate all the input you guys are sharing, but a lot can happen to a prospect in a calendar year. Look no further than the upcoming '06 draft. 18 months ago the top 3 picks without a doubt were Kessel, Frolik and Joensuu battling it out for top spot. Now a month away from the draft, we have Kessel, (while still most likely a top 5 pick) not a consensus 1st overall. You have Frolik, who may slip out of the top 10, and Joensuu, who may be a mid 2nd rounder.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy looking ahead and trying to figure out who has what it takes, but the fact is anything and everything could happen to any one of these kids to stunt or spur on their development. Were all the so called experts wrong in choosing the aforementioned trio to go 123 in '06? NO! but Frolik and Joensuu didnt impress in their Euro leagues and Kessel didnt live up to the hype. All that and the fact that Toewes, Staal, Johnson and Backstrom, all had very solid seasons.

The trickiest part of evaluating prospects is obvioulsy judging how well they can adapt to the NHL game, bigger, faster, stronger. These kids are still growing and based on what they have now, and what they are willing to work hard to get, will give you a finished product.

Joensuu and more importantly Frolik are very gifted players. The fact that they have not maintained the levels that everyone felt they should is nobodys fault including the players themselves. Imo, they have the tools and some players just do what is necessary to make it to the NHL. Look at Zetterberg, taken 200+ in the draft. Everyone feels that Detroits scouting staff are genius', but if they knew he was going to be this good, they would have chosen him in the 1st or 2nd round wouldn't they? Not to mention the time it took for him to round into form. As a 1st rounder you have the pressure to make the jump in 2-3 years, and depending on how bad the team is, even sooner than that. Some 1st rounders who are deemed busts, could have potentially become NHLers if given the time to develop properly.

All that being said, I still enjoy reading all the prognostications, and look forward to it continuing.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
scoutman1 said:

1. Big Kid
3. super mean
4. Hits and Hits hard

He is huge and a very good skater... He sounds like he has a very high ceiling. Did he not get alot of ice time last season? is that a reason for the low point totals? Not that points mean everything but for a top 5 talent they usually do.

Round John

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
He is huge and a very good skater... He sounds like he has a very high ceiling. Did he not get alot of ice time last season? is that a reason for the low point totals? Not that points mean everything but for a top 5 talent they usually do.

Saskatoon was pretty deep at forward last year, Gillies for most of the season saw third line ice time, and limited special teams play. His Regina tourney opened up a lot of eyes he had a strong showing against his peer group.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
scoutman1 said:
1. Angelo Esposito
2. Mikael Backlund
3. Nick Petrecki
4. Colton Gillies
5. Logan Couture
6. Tristian Llewalynn
7. Mark Katic
8. Jakub Voracek
9. Alex Grant
10. Jimmy O'Brien
11. Michael Repik
12. Zach Hamill
13. Sam Gagne
14. Tyson Sexsmith
15. James Van Rymsdyke

Don't know to much about these guys, but I'm preety sure Hamil would make top 10 at least. Also...what makes Sexsmith such a high pick? Am I missing something here, is he not the Giants back-up?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Wait a minute--I have not seen Backlund--but I have Esposito--and I can tell you right now that if KYLE "THE KID" TURRIS is not the #1 NA skater for the '07 draft the you have to fire every scout in every scoting service or team--did you not see the amazing skill set/hockey sense this guy showed in that RBC CUP Final? He was electrifying...looks like a Nextky to me --franchise material and a rare WTPOA (worth the price of admission) ...the hottest ticket in the NCAA this season won't be in Minnesota to see Phil The Thrill (if he stays),but rather to see "THE KID" playing for the Wisconsin Badgers...

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
KStewart113 said:
Don't know to much about these guys, but I'm preety sure Hamil would make top 10 at least. Also...what makes Sexsmith such a high pick? Am I missing something here, is he not the Giants back-up?

well a few things...if you don't know much about the guys how do you know that Hamill is better than the rest. Also Sexsmith was in his rookie year this year, thats why he is backup, he is possibly the best goalie in North America for his age, but when you are young like that you go as back up for a year usually and learn the ropes of the league before getting thrown into duty.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
scoutman1 said:
well a few things...if you don't know much about the guys how do you know that Hamill is better than the rest. Also Sexsmith was in his rookie year this year, thats why he is backup, he is possibly the best goalie in North America for his age, but when you are young like that you go as back up for a year usually and learn the ropes of the league before getting thrown into duty.
Yeah, and Sexsmith is also with the Tigers now, not the Giants, I think.

88Nords19

Apr 7, 2003
Alma
Visit site
Thoughts?

Not sure how old this ISS list is but just noticed it on TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=257&hubname=)

No. Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Shot DoB Team
1. Gillies, Colton C 6.04 182 L 2/12/1989 Saskatoon
2. Couture, Logan F 6.00 191 L 3/28/1989 Ottawa
3. Voracek, Jakub RW 6.02 174 L 8/5/1989 Kladno
4. Esposito, Angelo LW 6.01 170 L 2/20/1989 Quebec
5. Gagner, Sam RW 5.10 182 R 8/10/1989 Sioux City
6. Petrecki, Nick LD 6.03 205 L 7/11/1989 Omaha
7. Katic, Mark LD 5.10 179 L 5/9/1989 Sarnia
8. Sutter, Brandon C 6.02 155 R 2/14/1989 Red Deer
9. Ellerby, Keaton D 6.03 182 L 11/5/1988 Kamloops
10. Backlund, Mikael C 6.01 182 L 3/17/1989 Vasteras

I'm not an expert by any stretch but this list is quite surprising IMO (for example Backlund being down at 10th)

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
hawksfan50 said:
Wait a minute--I have not seen Backlund--but I have Esposito--and I can tell you right now that if KYLE "THE KID" TURRIS is not the #1 NA skater for the '07 draft the you have to fire every scout in every scoting service or team--did you not see the amazing skill set/hockey sense this guy showed in that RBC CUP Final? He was electrifying...looks like a Nextky to me --franchise material and a rare WTPOA (worth the price of admission) ...the hottest ticket in the NCAA this season won't be in Minnesota to see Phil The Thrill (if he stays),but rather to see "THE KID" playing for the Wisconsin Badgers...

Turris is 2008 due to the late birthday. He'll go top 3 IMO. And no, Sexsmith isn't with Medicine Hat.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
scoutman1 said:
is he, I thought he was 89 born, well isn't my face red, sorry.

For all intents and purposes, Repik could be thrown in with the early '89 borns ---- his dob is 12-31-88.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
hawksfan50 said:

OK, let's get a few things straight here!

Turris will not be attending Wisconsin until the 2007/2008 season. He will play another year in the BCHL or be lured to the WHL.

Turris is not close to being the top ranked '89 for the '07 NHL Draft. Remember he is playing Junior A, while a kid like Esposito is playing Major Junior. Espo racked up more points than 'THE KID', playing in a better league!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
88Nords19 said:
Not sure how old this ISS list is but just noticed it on TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=257&hubname=)

No. Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Shot DoB Team
1. Gillies, Colton C 6.04 182 L 2/12/1989 Saskatoon
2. Couture, Logan F 6.00 191 L 3/28/1989 Ottawa
3. Voracek, Jakub RW 6.02 174 L 8/5/1989 Kladno
4. Esposito, Angelo LW 6.01 170 L 2/20/1989 Quebec
5. Gagner, Sam RW 5.10 182 R 8/10/1989 Sioux City
6. Petrecki, Nick LD 6.03 205 L 7/11/1989 Omaha
7. Katic, Mark LD 5.10 179 L 5/9/1989 Sarnia
8. Sutter, Brandon C 6.02 155 R 2/14/1989 Red Deer
9. Ellerby, Keaton D 6.03 182 L 11/5/1988 Kamloops
10. Backlund, Mikael C 6.01 182 L 3/17/1989 Vasteras

I'm not an expert by any stretch but this list is quite surprising IMO (for example Backlund being down at 10th)

These rankings must be fairly recent because Sutter and Ellerby are ranked higher than I've ever seen them ranked and Espo is lower than I've ever seen him.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
monster_bertuzzi said:
Turris is 2008 due to the late birthday. He'll go top 3 IMO. And no, Sexsmith isn't with Medicine Hat.
Oops my bad about Sexsmith, for some reason i thought he was still there. Will he be no.1 in Vancouver next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad