2007 NHL draft

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Where does Ruslan Bashkirov fit into the puzzle? He finished 4th in scoring in the U18 and led Russiia with 6 goals and 2 assists. He scored more than both Frolik and Tlusty. Pat Kane scored more, but it looks like USA had a much stronger team than anyone else, did Bashkirov have a good supporting cast?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Yep, guaranteed - unless Slade comes back as an overage goaltender, which is rare.

I would think Slade will be back next year with Vancouver, as they are hosting the Mem Cup and he has the experience of helping the team get there this year by winning the WHL title. Unless Sexsmith really shows something in training camp or at some point during the season, Slade should be back no question!

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
HabLover said:
I would think Slade will be back next year with Vancouver, as they are hosting the Mem Cup and he has the experience of helping the team get there this year by winning the WHL title. Unless Sexsmith really shows something in training camp or at some point during the season, Slade should be back no question!

Yes I think Slade will be back. And I would not be too sure about Sexsmith being a number one if Slade doesn't come back. As said earlier the Giants need a strong run next year for hosting the mem cup and no way this kid is ready for prime time as a 17 year old.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
BleedBlue44 said:
backstrom is an impressive player.. care to give details about Backlund? strengths, weaknesses, etc
Its like comparing Gomez to Forsberg. As much as I like Espo, Backlund seems to be the class of next years draft. At least so far.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Top 20 Russians 2007 Draft in my rating:

1.(2) Rostislav Bashkirov(Spartak) RW 5'11 175
2.(7) Sergei Korostin(Dinamo) RW 5'10 180
3.(18) Alexei Cherepanov(Avangard) W 5'11 180
4.(15) Nikolay Lukianchikov(Dinamo) D 5'11 190
5.(12) Vitaly Karamnov(Dinamo) C 6'1 190
6.(3) Roman Bashkirov(Spartak) LW 5'11 170
7.(1) Alexei Mirnov(Dinamo) RW 5'9 165
8.(NR) Vadim Zhelobnyuk(Dinamo) G 6'0 190
9.(5) Yakov Seleznev(Neftyanik A) D 6'1 190
10.(9) Dmitriy Shchetinkin(Spartak) C 6'2 185
11.(14) Egor Averin(Avangard) W 5'10 170
12.(NR) Albert Polinin(Lokomotiv) D 6'3 190
13.(6) Alexei Mikov(Avangard) C 5'8 165
14.(10) Maxim Isaev(Dinamo) D 6'1 185
15.(11) Vladimir Bakika(Dinamo) C 5'11 190
16.(NR) Maksim Goncharov(CSKA) D 6'0 180
17.(16) Artem Dubinin(Lada) D 6'6 195
18.(NR) Denis Trakhanov(CSKA) D 5'11 180
19.(17) Vladimir Zavarzin(Krylia Sovetov) C 6'1 200
20.(NR) Alexei Dostoinov(Lokomotiv) C/W 6'1 185

In parentheses - places in the my previous rating (15.05.05).

Reactions: JoseTheodore2002

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
gars59 said:
i'm not sure maxime tanguay , if he break out next years , he could be pick up in secound round

I agree with Tanguay. I love his speed and drive. He didn't get much quality ice time on a strong Chicoutimi squad but had a much better opportunity to blossom and put up respectable numbers when traded to Rimouski... I think he will break out and shoot up everybody's ranking during the next year and will ultimately end up first round material.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
HabLover said:
Too bad for him, he has the worst possible B-day for a hockey player!!
lol, so that means Brule has the best possible B-day for a hockey player since he was born on 01-01-87?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Big Daddy said:
Yes I think Slade will be back. And I would not be too sure about Sexsmith being a number one if Slade doesn't come back. As said earlier the Giants need a strong run next year for hosting the mem cup and no way this kid is ready for prime time as a 17 year old.

Sexsmith is one of the best goalies in the world for his age. And he has an early birthday, so he will be 18 by the time the Memorial cup rolls around.

CH Wizard

Repik is awesome, he works hard to generate some offence.

He's got decent size 5'11 170 is average, he still has time to grow.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
monster_bertuzzi said:
Well if Karl Alzner isn't in the top 15, Id say pretty deep.

Alzner is going to be an absolute gem of a pick for whomever is lucky enough to select him. He's an all around workhorse defenseman and can log major minutes. Having completed 2 full seasons in the WHL already, Alzner's coming out party will be next season. I don't know a ton about other avialable selections for next season, but Alzner would have to be at the top of most lists. He's the complete package.

Reactions: JoseTheodore2002

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
monster_bertuzzi said:
Sexsmith is one of the best goalies in the world for his age. And he has an early birthday, so he will be 18 by the time the Memorial cup rolls around.

I would agree he is a good goalie. However, what has he done to prove he is a great goalie? Let alone one of the best in the world at his age? He was injured the first half of the season + had mono. In the mem cup he takes a shot off the dome in practice and has a concussion. He has been riding pine most of the season and has no record of success in the WHL. Please explain your comments.

No way Van hosts the mem cup with an unproven, untested goalie. If Slade is gone next year Van trades for a vet in the net.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Big Daddy said:
I would agree he is a good goalie. However, what has he done to prove he is a great goalie? Let alone one of the best in the world at his age? He was injured the first half of the season + had mono. In the mem cup he takes a shot off the dome in practice and has a concussion. He has been riding pine most of the season and has no record of success in the WHL. Please explain your comments.

No way Van hosts the mem cup with an unproven, untested goalie. If Slade is gone next year Van trades for a vet in the net.

Sexsmith is possibly the best goalie for the 2007 NHL draft, he was ranked that 2 years ago as well. THis guy is a real super gem of a goalie, no way Vancouver would trade for another goalie next year if they have this guy. But thought there might not be anyone close to Sexsmith for goalie for the 2007 draft he is not the best in the world for his age...I would have to say that would go to the late born goalie from Finland who is ranked for 2008, Tomi Karhunen. THis guy will be a top 5 pick in 2008, he is a late born 89 and he is going to be right up there with Lehtonen and Fleury for the top young goalies in the game.

But Sexsmith though he was hurt and rode the pine most of the time, he has the most talent of anygoalie for 2007.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
moosefan said:
THis guy is a real super gem of a goalie, no way Vancouver would trade for another goalie next year if they have this guy.

I wouldn't be so sure about that Moosefan, no one is saying that they trade Sexsmith, only that Van may trade another player(s) for a top end vet in net. I can't believe a gm would go with a young un-proven guy in a cup run season. I still ask, what has he done to prove himself a top end goalie in the WHL? No one knows because he has a limited amount of games this season and in the U-17 he did not look that sharp.

Husky

Feb 3, 2006
Ottawa
Logan Couture should challenge for the no. 1 spot. From the hometown Jeff Hayes looks good if he can make the Guelph squad. Fast feed, smart with the puck and can give and take hits. He may never be an NHL'er but i thought i'd throw him out because he played in my home organization lol.

(be mindful i mean he is a good late, late round pick not the first round)

McLeod73

Feb 6, 2004
How about Kurtis Mucha from Portland? Had a pretty good finish to reg. season and playoffs. Good year next season, do you think he could become 1st round talent?

Default101

thats the lowest i've seen Katic, i strongly doubt he'll fall that far, unless he gets injured, he's an amazing talent and has proven to be a better player than Couture... 12 months ago i never thought i'd hear myself saying that, here's the last ISS rankings put out on Hockeys' future, it's only a top 5 but sounds more accurate to me....

ISS Top 5 2007 NHL Draft

1. Gillies, Colton – Center, 2/12/1989, Shoots: L, H: 6-4, W: 182, Saskatoon (WHL)

2. Esposito, Angelo – Left Wing, 2/20/1989, Shoots: L, H: 6-1, W: 170, Quebec (QMJHL)

3. Katic, Marc- Defense, 5/9/1989, Shoots: L, H: 5-11, W: 179, Sarnia (OHL)

4. Petrecki, Nick, Defense, 7/11/1989, Shoots: L, H: 6-3, W: 205, Omaha (USHL)

5. Gagner, Sam, Right Wing, 8/10/1989, Shoots: R, H: 5-10, W: 182, Sioux City (USHL

i think Espsito will turn out as the #1 pick, he seems like he's just got too much talent, Mark Katic (spelt Mark not Marc) has got speed like i've never seen out of someone his age, they're saying that he's got more speed than anyone as a 16 year old since Paul Coffey in the late 70's which is alot of pressure to put on a kid, but he's got great puckhandling skills, is a very offensively while still being a responsible defenceman, he looks smaller on the ice than 5'11" but unless a team is looking for a big craash and banger defenceman Katic will easily be the 1st defenceman selected. Everyone will get a better look at what he can really do with some of the spotlight moved to Stamkos; Katic will have more room to show what he can do.

Default101

monster_bertuzzi said:
Right now id say 2006 has better top end talent (more of it I should say), but 2007 is way deeper.
absolutely, this draft has got great depth some of the more unproven players will probably even climb the rankings of 2008 and make that draft stronger.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
Ry-Dogg said:
thats the lowest i've seen Katic, i strongly doubt he'll fall that far, unless he gets injured, he's an amazing talent and has proven to be a better player than Couture... 12 months ago i never thought i'd hear myself saying that, here's the last ISS rankings put out on Hockeys' future, it's only a top 5 but sounds more accurate to me....

ISS Top 5 2007 NHL Draft

1. Gillies, Colton – Center, 2/12/1989, Shoots: L, H: 6-4, W: 182, Saskatoon (WHL)

2. Esposito, Angelo – Left Wing, 2/20/1989, Shoots: L, H: 6-1, W: 170, Quebec (QMJHL)

5. Gagner, Sam, Right Wing, 8/10/1989, Shoots: R, H: 5-10, W: 182, Sioux City (USHL

i think Espsito will turn out as the #1 pick, he seems like he's just got too much talent, Mark Katic (spelt Mark not Marc) has got speed like i've never seen out of someone his age, they're saying that he's got more speed than anyone as a 16 year old since Paul Coffey in the late 70's which is alot of pressure to put on a kid, but he's got great puckhandling skills, is a very offensively while still being a responsible defenceman, he looks smaller on the ice than 5'11" but unless a team is looking for a big craash and banger defenceman Katic will easily be the 1st defenceman selected. Everyone will get a better look at what he can really do with some of the spotlight moved to Stamkos; Katic will have more room to show what he can do.
is that ranking just for NA skaters? If it's including Euros, Backlund should definately be up there in the top 3.

Default101

Crosby=Gretzky said:
is that ranking just for NA skaters? If it's including Euros, Backlund should definately be up there in the top 3.
not sure it just says ISS top 5, but then again ISS had Backstrom #6 or 7 at that point as well, so he very well may have been ranked #6 or something, because the rankings before had Katic @ 3, a big Czech d-man @ 2 and Esposito @ 1

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Ry-Dogg said:

ISS Top 5 2007 NHL Draft

QUOTE]

This is the ISS ranking from several months ago, the most recent ranking list has changed significantly and was also posted here earlier.
In the recent rankings both Katic and Gagner dropped somewhat and others moved up
Ry-Dogg it is interesting to read your comments comparing Katic and Couture who play different positions (F vs D). That is only your opinion obviously, because in the OHL rookie-of-the-year voting conducted by the league GM's, Tavares won of course, but Couture finished second followed by Kostitsyn. If Katic is that much better as you claim, why didn't he finish second or even third in the voting as he was also a rookie this season?
Regardless, Katic is a very good D prospect and if I had to choose between Katic and Doughty I would select Katic at this point. But I also think Karl Alzer is a very good defensive D-man who will get a long hard look from NHL scouts too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad