20 Toews versus 20 Ovechkins

Just for interest sake who do you think would win in a playoff series against each other, 20 Toews o

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Just for interest sake who do you think would win in a playoff series against each other, 20 Toews or 20 Ovechkins?

Please don't bog the thread down with non-variables like who the goalie is or who plays what position or anything other then a hypothetical straight forward who wins.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ovechkin is a better player and each Ovechkin would get more dangerous the more Ovechkins you get, as you wouldn't be able to cheat on his shot or have as much obstruction.

I think you have to look at it from the opposite side.

It'll come down to whose weaker, not whose better.

5 Ovechkins attacking 5 Toews? Well - Ovechkin is really skilled, they'll score some, but Toews likely blocks off a lot too as he's pretty good at defense.
5 Toews attacking 5 Ovechkins? I don't trust Ovechkin to do good at all here, and Toews scores more.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
5 Ovechkins attacking 5 Toews? Well - Ovechkin is really skilled, they'll score some, but Toews likely blocks off a lot too as he's pretty good at defense.
5 Toews attacking 5 Ovechkins? I don't trust Ovechkin to do good at all here, and Toews scores more.
Offense is way more valuable, especially in a forward. Both will struggle adapting to defensive roles anyway. There is no defensive system or individual defensive ability that works effectively against 5 Ovechkins or that shot; which is why Ovechkin has been near or at the top for so long, even on the PP where he's been doing the exact same thing for over a decade. You don't just "block" that.

Ovechkin attacking 5 Toews will control the play more because he is a better player. Ovechkin is faster. Ovechkin is stronger and more physical. Ovechkin has the way better shot and gets shots on net way more. Passing is fairly equal. Also, as I said, Ovechkin's strengths are amplified by having more of him to a way bigger degree than Toews. You can block off one elite shooter in ways that you can't when there are 5 of them.

Literally the only thing that Toews has on Ovechkin is potential defensive ability, which is in reality, largely a reputation built off of Keith's abilities, and the surrounding team. Chicago is one of the worst teams in the league defensively now. Toews is still there... many that surrounded him during those good years are not, or have deteriorated significantly.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think you have to look at it from the opposite side.

It'll come down to whose weaker, not whose better.

It's also an unfair question in that one is a natural center who is already elite at faceoffs, so one team is bound to have way more possession than the other team.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
200' 2 way complete game with 100% effort versus limited game participation involving some solid hits, albeit potentially suspension worthy dirty ones, a wicked good shot and really nothing further along with non 100% effort and no tangibles.

Toews in 4 maybe 5.

Reactions: qqaz

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Peak Ovechkin no doubt. Team Toews would have absolutely zero chance to keep up with team Ovechkin skating speed.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I think it comes down to speed and skating. Ovechkin definitely has the edge there, especially if we're talking prime.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I would take Ovechkin now over Toews now, and Ovechkin at his peak over Toews at his peak, but Toews at his peak over Ovechkin now. I would rather have a mix of both though. I also think Ovechkin is capable of doing a lot more, he just doesn't do it as much because of how good a shooter he is. It's not his game to be the primary forechecker, puck carrier, net presence, playmaker, etc, but he's talented enough and has the size to be good at all those things, and I'm sure a line of all Ovechkin's would adapt.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Peak Ovechkin no doubt. Team Toews would have absolutely zero chance to keep up with team Ovechkin skating speed.

I will expand on my previous post.

Peak Toews is a 40 goal 90 point guy with Selke defense and faceoff % of nearly 60% (probably higher against Ovechkin).

Having the puck 60% of the time (and is a possession monster) and being the better checker makes up for the offensive difference Ovi has IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad