Confirmed with Link: 2 year deal ($1.075 million AAV): Kyle Clifford

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I'll admit, I'm very surprised by this. So, does this mean the end of the road for King then or does he split time with Carcillo? Personally, I still consider Clifford, King and Carcillo to be all 4LWs. Imo, we could still use an upgrade on our LW.

In any case, good signing deano!

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
At that price DL should of got 3...lol I guess it comes down to King\Carcillo and a D for our 23 man roster. No way we move Cliffy now at that AAV for 2 years.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Williams-Kopitar-Brown
Carcillo-Richards-Carter
Frattin-Stoll-Toffolli
Clifford-Lewis-Nolan

Yes, please hate on my 2nd line predictions.. It's a Philly type of thing, you never know..

But that 3rd line I can see having good chemistry that could rack up points.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Carcillo is our answer to Brad Richardson and Kevin Westgarth. Both those guys sat most or all of the playoff run. Kings didn't have extra toughness last year, just Toffoli and Richardson and spares...

Trading for Carcillo, who is coming off a few injury ridden seasons and has a 1 year deal doesn't spell the end of Clifford.

If Carcillo plays even 41 games he'll be lucky and I think the Kings will have other issues if he's forced to (if he's even healthy enough to do it). For people to think he was brought in to replace ANYONE, much less Clifford after they "traded" him (to EDM of course) was always funny to me.

I still have a feeling that if Jeff Schultz can turn his game around, he'll be with the big club all year. If that happens, Martinez needs to use some of his new found wealth on a nice new set of luggage, cuz we could get a couple mid-round picks for him I believe. Solve the cap problem with Ellerby going to Manch.

HolyShot*

I'd like a 4th line of clifford - nolan - carcillo please.

KingKopitar11*

Imagine AA centering Kyle and Nolan and car bomb playing on another line.

Lol. That's DL kinda hockey...

That'd be absolutely sexy. We'd have a whole line of flat out nasty.

We were missing that so much last season.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Williams-Kopitar-Brown
Carcillo-Richards-Carter
Frattin-Stoll-Toffolli
Clifford-Lewis-Nolan

Yes, please hate on my 2nd line predictions.. It's a Philly type of thing, you never know..

But that 3rd line I can see having good chemistry that could rack up points.

I would like to see Carbomb on the second line at least to start. Having him banging and crashing takes a bit of pressure off Richards to do the same.

gtwyc

FlyingHeadButts4All
Jun 5, 2011
los angeles, ca
clifford can do a better job bangin and smashin on that 2LW spot than carbomb and also cntribute more offensively. but i agree with you, i would love for richards to not have to do as much bangin and smashin so he can stay healthy. that being said, the 2LW is frattins spot to lose. i think frattin will thrive playing with richards and carter as there wont be any confusion with his role on that line. be the first guy in on the forecheck, take the body, and go to the net while richards and carter to their thing. hes got a great shot too.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It's tough to see people talking about Carcillo or Clifford playing on that 2nd line spot. Carcillo could not even crack the lineup in Chicago, Clifford was a non-factor offensively and physically in the playoffs. If Toffoli truly can't play the LW, you have to hope that a guy like Pearson can win a job in camp, and you would hope a 21 year old former first round pick would be able to beat out guys like Clifford and Carcillo. I still think one of Clifford or King is moved before the season starts and hope like hell that Frattin can stay healthy and be good on either the 2nd or 3rd line.

Imagine AA centering Kyle and Nolan and car bomb playing on another line.

Lol. That's DL kinda hockey...

What is DL hockey, a bunch of tough guys? Well that certainly was not the 2012 STANLEY CUP TEAM

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Richards - Carter
King - Stoll - Lewis
Richardson - Fraser - Nolan

Scuderi - Doughty
Mitchell - Voynov
Martinez - Greene

That is the lineup that the Kings used for the majority of the 2012 playoffs. Tell me how many tough guys are in this lineup. The Kings forwards are already an area of concern, and you want to have Clifford, Carcillo, AA and Nolan all in the lineup? Maybe we could sign Mark Visheau as a 3rd pairing d-man while we are at it.

The Kings need to add more skill to the lineup, not dress a goon squad.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So, does this mean the end of the road for King then or does he split time with Carcillo?

I don't think certainty should be looked for right now. The Kings are over the cap, there are 9 defensemen on the roster, Mitchell is a question mark until bodies start banging, and 13 forwards are on one-way deals, plus Toffoli. Someone has to go somewhere, but who knows who or where right now.

Martinez was supposed to be gone after Voynov, Ellerby, and Schultz all signed deals. Hasn't happened yet. Clifford was supposed to go after Carcillo was traded for. Hasn't happened yet. Is it the end of the road for King? Other than him being the whipping boy at the moment, it hasn't happened yet.

It's early August. There are a couple weeks of training camp still to come. The Kings don't have to be under the cap until the season starts. Certainty just isn't needed yet.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I just don't see how any of the kids make the lineup this season out of training camp. DL has stocked the team with excess players all under NHL contracts. Unless someone just blows Sutter and Lombardi away in training camp, I think all return to Manchester (except Toffoli).

I really think our system has some NHL ready players, but it's going to take some injuries for them to get their chances. Muzzin is a good example of this.

I love the deal for KFC, though. About what I expected.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I just don't see how any of the kids make the lineup this season out of training camp. DL has stocked the team with excess players all under NHL contracts. Unless someone just blows Sutter and Lombardi away in training camp, I think all return to Manchester (except Toffoli).

I really think our system has some NHL ready players, but it's going to take some injuries for them to get their chances. Muzzin is a good example of this.

The problem with the Kings roster, it's very top heavy. But when it comes to the excess forwards and defenseman it's more quantity than quality. I mean you know you have issues when your best bottom six forward is currently on a 28 game goal-less streak and has 3 goals in 45 career playoff games with the club and the team as a whole got 0 goals from the 3rd and 4th lines in three playoff rounds this past season.

As of right now it looks like Frattin replaces Penner rather than strengthening the third line (which I had hoped at the time of the trade).

Kings are strong in the key positions, but man, looks like the bottom six is going to be a major major weakness again.

KingKopitar11*

The problem with the Kings roster, it's very top heavy. But when it comes to the excess forwards and defenseman it's more quantity than quality. I mean you know you have issues when your best bottom six forward is currently on a 28 game goal-less streak and has 3 goals in 45 career playoff games with the club and the team as a whole got 0 goals from the 3rd and 4th lines in three playoff rounds this past season.

As of right now it looks like Frattin replaces Penner rather than strengthening the third line (which I had hoped at the time of the trade).

Kings are strong in the key positions, but man, looks like the bottom six is going to be a major major weakness again.

Our bottom 6 has mostly always sucked.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Before I get into addressing the bottom six, I will not stand for any Visheau badmouthing! That team sucked so much that he was actually a bright spot since he would fight anybody and actually had a good shot from the point since it was usually low and on target. The 98-99 team was such a disappointment: at least he provided some entertainment value.

As for the bottom six being lacking, I completely agree and am still banging the Richards for 3C drum.

23-11-14
21-77-73
74-10-22
13-28-71

This allows Toffoli to remain at RW where he appeared to have chemistry with Carter. Richards instantly makes the 3rd line better and still gets used in all special teams situations. Stoll doesn't score much anyways and, while sad, Clifford and Nolan pretty much finish just as often as King and Lewis so it's not like Stoll is getting downgraded.

If Sutter feels the need to jumble lines mid-game, he can always put Richards back with Carter and he can do his usual two-competent-faceoff-guys for important draws by plugging Stoll in when needed.

I know some will say "Frattin and Carter and Toffoli are shooters and need someone that can make plays". Well, IMO, Carter can make plays and Toffoli can pass pretty well also. Won't bum me out to have three guys with lethal shots on the ice at the same time.

Stoll is good on the forecheck...much better than Fraser. The 4th lines biggest problem last season was not playing enough in the offensive zone. Having Stoll center the 4th line over Fraser would definitely improve that.

I don't know why there is such negativity for a lineup like this. Carter and Richards don't have to play together just because they are best buddies. They are great players in their own right and can carry a line as its center. We have "insane center depth", yet we have projected lineups with Fraser at a center position. If we have this center depth, we should use it instead of diluting it for an additional RW position that we do not need.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
I'd like a 4th line of clifford - nolan - carcillo please.

sweet jesus! after STL's 4th line hammering away at the Kings last playoff run, i could definitely see that happening. i was also pleased to see that the Colonel acknowledged he needs to be more physical this coming season....cant wait for it to start!

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Jason I would first like to say I love reading ur blogs on hb. I think you fighting a uphill battle getting people in here to read them in there.The site you write them for is not very respected by alot of this forum. The person before you matt berry isnt very respected in here. In fact his rumours is no longer allowed in here sence he left hockey buzz. I wish you all the best in getting the respect you deserve for covering our beloved kings.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
BigKing,

I agree 100% on going with the 3 centers, it lets everyone play natural positions and gives the Kings three lines capable of scoring. Like you said, the Kings have insane center depth, but will go into the season with two centers who will provide zero offense and in Fraser's case, zero everything. But sadly it appears the Kings want to keep the status quo with Carter on the rw.

As for Visheau, while he was entertaining, I am quite happy that the team has moved on from employing guys like Visheau and Ryan Flinn. Although neither one could compare to the awfulness that was Raitis Ivanans. I don't know if we will ever see a player that bad as a King again.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Before I get into addressing the bottom six, I will not stand for any Visheau badmouthing! That team sucked so much that he was actually a bright spot since he would fight anybody and actually had a good shot from the point since it was usually low and on target. The 98-99 team was such a disappointment: at least he provided some entertainment value.

As for the bottom six being lacking, I completely agree and am still banging the Richards for 3C drum.

23-11-14
21-77-73
74-10-22
13-28-71

This allows Toffoli to remain at RW where he appeared to have chemistry with Carter. Richards instantly makes the 3rd line better and still gets used in all special teams situations. Stoll doesn't score much anyways and, while sad, Clifford and Nolan pretty much finish just as often as King and Lewis so it's not like Stoll is getting downgraded.

If Sutter feels the need to jumble lines mid-game, he can always put Richards back with Carter and he can do his usual two-competent-faceoff-guys for important draws by plugging Stoll in when needed.

I know some will say "Frattin and Carter and Toffoli are shooters and need someone that can make plays". Well, IMO, Carter can make plays and Toffoli can pass pretty well also. Won't bum me out to have three guys with lethal shots on the ice at the same time.

Stoll is good on the forecheck...much better than Fraser. The 4th lines biggest problem last season was not playing enough in the offensive zone. Having Stoll center the 4th line over Fraser would definitely improve that.

I don't know why there is such negativity for a lineup like this. Carter and Richards don't have to play together just because they are best buddies. They are great players in their own right and can carry a line as its center. We have "insane center depth", yet we have projected lineups with Fraser at a center position. If we have this center depth, we should use it instead of diluting it for an additional RW position that we do not need.

Richards and Carter are most effective together, and really should remain together. The only way I see Carter taking a center spot is if Richards goes down again (which is very possible). Having 2 shooters in Toffoli and Carter on the same line doesn't make sense. If anything, I'd rather see the top line shaken up instead. They've been very mediocre lately and could use a change. Lets see what Frattin can do with Richards/Carter before splitting them up. We still have Stoll, who is an ideal 3rd line center...

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Richards and Carter are most effective together, and really should remain together. The only way I see Carter taking a center spot is if Richards goes down again (which is very possible). Having 2 shooters in Toffoli and Carter on the same line doesn't make sense. If anything, I'd rather see the top line shaken up instead. They've been very mediocre lately and could use a change. Lets see what Frattin can do with Richards/Carter before splitting them up. We still have Stoll, who is an ideal 3rd line center...

But Richards is a better version of Stoll so that should make the 3rd line better.

Carter and Richards will still play together on the PP and PK and possibly later in games if needed.

The one thing I keep seeing that makes no sense at all is Toffoli playing alongside Stoll. Having a shooter play with two guys with limited offensive skill is what doesn't make sense. Toffoli should be playing with a skilled centerman and should not be moved from his natural RW spot.

There will be rebounds and chaos galore if they run a Frattin-Carter-Toffoli line since all of these guys can shoot from anywhere. Then you'd hope that having a playmaker in Richards on the 3rd line will put King and Lewis in position to score easy goals that even they couldn't screw up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad