2 forwards to expose in expansion draft (using 7/3 protection)?

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Id only protect maroon if he signs at least a 2 y extention through 2020. Cant protect a guy who you may only keep for 1 year

I can agree with this, though I would really hope we could sign Maroon. Gotta think he would be pretty open to staying in Edmonton. Within a calendar year he has gotten to play with the next young superstar in the nicest building in the league, met some of his hockey idols more than once, had a crowd chanting his name and fits like a glove on every line.
Why not give Gryba a one year extension right now? He would then fit the criteria of a dman needing to be exposed since he's already over 70gp over the last 2 seasons and would be under contract for 17/18

Good idea, though doesn't Mark Fayne already fill that criteria?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Why not give Gryba a one year extension right now? He would then fit the criteria of a dman needing to be exposed since he's already over 70gp over the last 2 seasons and would be under contract for 17/18

I think they're keeping Fayne for that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Pretty sure I'd expose Davidson. We'd have a much harder time replacing Maroon, especially internally than Davidson. I also think Maroon would be higher on Vegas' radar, even if he is only signed another year. Davidson really isn't that proven and is a little bit overrated by Oilers fans. And if he does get claimed it's a loss but not a huge one. We already have Klefbom, Sekera and Nurse on the left side long-term with a ton of guys in the system too. Our wing depth on the other hand is atrocious and replacing a guy like Maroon who you can just plug and play on any line and who seems to be a great locker room guy too is much harder. Not to mention he is one of few guys that seem to mesh with McDavid.

I would expose Davidson and hope that his injury history scares Vegas away. We also need tk think about Letestu. He has been great this year and I would rather protect him and Maroon than Davidson at this point.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Davidson has been solid.. I think he's a top 4 dman and I'd personally keep that asset over Letestu.

Maroon vs Davidson is a tougher choice as Maroon is pretty much exactly what this team needs on the wing... and he is probably the ONLY Oilers winger that has met or exceeded expectations. Pitlick as well but we pretty much knew it was only a matter of time before the injury bug cut him down yet again... unfortunately.

Oct 15, 2008
Jordan Neverbe would have to be one of them. No way you keep his soft, no compete ass over someone who competes night in and night out like Maroon.

One goal in the last 18 games.

Pffft.

You could probably waive him and he wouldn't be claimed.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Who else could technically be picked up?
Pitlick
Lander
Reinhart
Russell

What's the ruling? How many players can we lose?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Of course they'd protect Eberle and Maroon. There is no chance they won't protect both. One bad season isn't going to sour the organisation on Eberle.

Imo, they will protect RNH, Drai, Lucic, Eberle, Maroon, Letestu, Kassian, Sekera, Larsson, Klefbom, and Talbot. They they will offer a pick to Vegas to not take Davidson. They will expose Pouliot, Hendricks, and Fayne to meet the requirements.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'd protect

Drai Lucic Nuge Eberle Maroon Letestu Kassian

Klefbom sekera Larsson

Talbot

It will suck losing Davidson but won't be the end of the world.

I think Vegas' draft strategy will be to load up on top 4 D and then trade some D to bolster their forwards. They won't have many good forwards but will likely end up with around 9 or 10 top 4 defensemen.

If this meets the expansion draft requirements this is what I do as well.

I would however, sign Russell and leave him exposed. That way if we lose Davidson its not as hard on us. And if they take Russel, we get to keep Davidson.

I personally really like Pouliot and would have pushed to protect him but something is very wrong with him this year. If there was a way to make sure he gets picked by Vegas that would be great but I believe he has played himself off any teams radar. No way Vegas takes him now.

I wonder if playing poorly has actually been his plan. I dont think I have ever seen a player collapse so completely before.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
If this meets the expansion draft requirements this is what I do as well.

I would however, sign Russell and leave him exposed. That way if we lose Davidson its not as hard on us. And if they take Russel, we get to keep Davidson.

I personally really like Pouliot and would have pushed to protect him but something is very wrong with him this year. If there was a way to make sure he gets picked by Vegas that would be great but I believe he has played himself off any teams radar. No way Vegas takes him now.

I wonder if playing poorly has actually been his plan. I dont think I have ever seen a player collapse so completely before.

Sign Russell after the expansion draft but before July 1.

Vegas needs to build an entire franchise. Unless Davidson blows everyone away I think a 2nd should be enough to convince them to not pick him

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
You expose Kassian, Pouliot, Letestu, Maroon. Neither of them will be an irreplaceable loss. The Oilers are actually one of the few teams who don't risk losing really good players. Teams like Tampa Bay will be losing legitimate top 6 forwards.
i think Larrsson, Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson need to be protected (Russell, if he's re-signed). It is harder to acquire top 4 D, than bottom 6 forwards, who are dime a dozen.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
You don't see Vegas taking Jordan Eberle if the Oilers were stupid enough to expose him for the expansion draft? That's ridiculous.

exactly, its ridiculous...of COURSE they would take him.... i'm one of the hardest guys on eberle on these boards (i've wanted him traded for about 3 years now), but he is being tarred/feathered entirely too often here... he still holds a decent amount of value, and once he goes on a 3-4 game span where he scores 3-4 goals, peoples opinions are going to swing wildly again

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Sign Russell after the expansion draft but before July 1.

Vegas needs to build an entire franchise. Unless Davidson blows everyone away I think a 2nd should be enough to convince them to not pick him

I don't know how they will do it but supposedly the NHL really wants to keep collusion and trades like you mention not possible this time around.

Vegas also gets a bigger window for FA so I would not be surprised if they pursued someone like Russell very aggressively. I think they will be a cap team and with no stars to speak have a ton of money to throw around.

Russell is a top 4 defender and Vegas dropping 5 × 5 on him would really work for everyone.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
it would have to be a "gentlemans agreement" then, as he can't sign extension until july 1st i believe? is that correct? or is it jan 1st?

I believe he can be extended now, could be wrong though. Just have a feeling he seems like a family guy who would prefer to play closer to home like alot of americans

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I don't know how they will do it but supposedly the NHL really wants to keep collusion and trades like you mention not possible this time around.

Vegas also gets a bigger window for FA so I would not be surprised if they pursued someone like Russell very aggressively. I think they will be a cap team and with no stars to speak have a ton of money to throw around.

Russell is a top 4 defender and Vegas dropping 5 × 5 on him would really work for everyone.

I am pretty sure teams are allowed to offer up picks and prospects if a team doesn't take a guy they want to keep. It's up to Vegas if they want to accept.

And I am sure they will pursue a bunch of players with their expanded window. But who's to say Russell wants to sign with an expansion team? I think he is comfortable here and if the Oilers offered him a solid contract he would take that instead of signing with an expansion team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I am pretty sure teams are allowed to offer up picks and prospects if a team doesn't take a guy they want to keep. It's up to Vegas if they want to accept.

And I am sure they will pursue a bunch of players with their expanded window. But who's to say Russell wants to sign with an expansion team? I think he is comfortable here and if the Oilers offered him a solid contract he would take that instead of signing with an expansion team.

Russell effectiveness is very controversial but imo undeniable. However that unconventional effectiveness already hurt his contract negotiations considerably.

The rumor is that he was holding out for 5 mill 5 years. That's a lot more money than the Oilers will/did pay. Truth be told more than I think he is worth and I like him.

Vegas is the only team I see giving him the money and term he wants.

Edmonton is probably trying for 4 mill per and as few years as possible. Even 4 x 4 is 16 mill versus 25... I don't think I could leave 9 mill or more on the table to play in Edmonton.

Doesn't mean Vegas will offer him 5 x 5. They will have tons of options. But Vegas could afford to pay him what it is rumored he wants where as I don't really think anyone else would.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Protect:

Drai, Lucic, RNH and Maroon
Larsson, Sekera, Klef and Davidson

Trade:

Ebs for a 1st or 2 2nds

I know this is not the 7-3 format. But I feel the team is better going forward with these 8 players protected

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad