Pre-Game Talk: 2 Days Till Next Game

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Knob should make the team watch all the first two periods of their last 10 games. A full day session. Let em roast each other.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Then we fly to Seattle to play a Saturday afternoon game, rush to the airport to fly home and play Pittsburgh Sunday evening.

The schedule maker when making the schedules:

focus-homer-simpson.gif

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Then we fly to Seattle to play a Saturday afternoon game, rush to the airport to fly home and play Pittsburgh Sunday evening.

If you're getting back to backs, that's a pretty much optimal option. Practice at home Friday. Fly out late afternoon eat dinner in Seattle and get to bed early. Get up for the optional. Play at 1PM local time. Out of the rink by 5PM, fly home arrive in Edmonton by 8 or 9 PM and get a good night's sleep in your own bed. Much better option than the Pens who will have back to back where they likely don't get into the hotel in Edmonton until 1 or 2 AM.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Yet despite it all, if the we win our next two, we are only 4 points back of Vancouver after 59 games....
1709246356667.png

***knocking on wood***

snag

Feb 22, 2014
At least Pens will be playing back to back on the road as well, though they will be in Calgary.

Play at 1PM local time. Out of the rink by 5PM, fly home arrive in Edmonton by 8 or 9 PM and get a good night's sleep in your own bed. Much better option than the Pens who will have back to back where they likely do

Maybe there will be a freak snowstorm to shut down YYC and they have to bus it. :thumbu:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The schedule maker when making the schedules:

focus-homer-simpson.gif

I don't think the schedule maker is necessarily at fault. It's more the NHL catering to certain markets that don't want hockey played when football is going on and/or stacking a ton of games on certain days while other days only have 1 or 2 games.

When you have all these roadblocks eventually you get weird crap like this pop up in the schedule..

The NBA for example, has 6-8 games a night and you see way less issues over the course of the season imo.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I don't think the schedule maker is necessarily at fault. It's more the NHL catering to certain markets that don't want hockey played when football is going on and/or stacking a ton of games on certain days while other days only have 1 or 2 games.

When you have all these roadblocks eventually you get weird crap like this pop up in the schedule..

The NBA for example, has 6-8 games a night and you see way less issues over the course of the season imo.

That job would be a logistical nightmare that I wouldn't want and no matter how much we may question it or bemoan it.....it is impressive they get 'er all done.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That job would be a logistical nightmare that I wouldn't want and no matter how much we may question it or bemoan it.....it is impressive they get 'er all done.
That's why they have sophisticated computers.;)

snag

Feb 22, 2014
That's why they have sophisticated computers.;)

I know they do...but they still have to enter all that shit in and some of them are moving targets until the very end. I am sure dozens of schedules are generated before final sign-off is done. And then that is another thing....I assume each franchise has to sign-off on their schedule. Getting them to do that and dealing with any grievances they may have which may naturally affect other teams and their agreeance and of course other facility commitments etc...

It would just be a shitty mundane job.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Our March schedule is going to be busy with 15 games, but it’s the last stretch of games in April that are absolutely brutal, with 6 games in 9 days to close out the season.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Our March schedule is going to be busy with 15 games, but it’s the last stretch of games in April that are absolutely brutal, with 6 games in 9 days to close out the season.

If ever they needed to secure their spot early and just coast into the playoffs....

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I think this is a blessing in disguise. The last few years we have had a few dud games against zero teams to finish the season and I'm not convinced that those didn't play a factor in sleepy Game 1 starts.

Even if we have a spot locked in, playing a better opponent will force us into playing the right way.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think this is a blessing in disguise. The last few years we have had a few dud games against zero teams to finish the season and I'm not convinced that those didn't play a factor in sleepy Game 1 starts.

Even if we have a spot locked in, playing a better opponent will force us into playing the right way.
I don’t mind playing the better opponent part, it’s the volume of games in that time frame that can lead to injuries and burnout just prior to the playoffs that concerns me.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Worried we’re going to burn out Skinner for playoffs.

I don’t know what GMKH is up to but if there is an expectation that we’re winning anything with 97 & 29 together we’re in for a vast disappointment.

Reactions: brentashton

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I know they do...but they still have to enter all that shit in and some of them are moving targets until the very end. I am sure dozens of schedules are generated before final sign-off is done. And then that is another thing....I assume each franchise has to sign-off on their schedule. Getting them to do that and dealing with any grievances they may have which may naturally affect other teams and their agreeance and of course other facility commitments etc...

It would just be a shitty mundane job.
Some people like those shitty mundane jobs though (compared to the rest of us). They're usually accountants or computer geeks and programmers. I think they probably find it exciting and challenging.:D

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

I don’t know what GMKH is up to but if there is an expectation that we’re winning anything with 97 & 29 together we’re in for a vast disappointment.

I tend to agree with you. I think Hyman has taken over the Draisaitl role this season, so McDavid-Hyman should stay together and Draisaitl-RNH can form a second line, maybe with Foegele as the third wheel. McLeod, Kane or Holloway can work on the first line depending on who's hot at the time.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
We started playing good again and now we get extra days off.
The team definitely needs all the extra days they can get playing 37 games in 72 days. That’s a stupid amount of hockey. Such a weird schedule playing so little in the first half and then dumping it all onto the next half. But that coukd be a good thing. Despite the grind it gets players in a groove and a rhyme. Something players like Mcdavid loves.

Edm has a bunch of back to backs still. Could be wrong but I thought I read they had something like 8 after the all star break. I’m probably wrong but I know they have a bunch. And with 37 in 72 it’s going to be a grind for not just skinner but the entire team. Is what it is.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Starting Saturday there will be a stretch of 6games in 9nights= Nutty schedule.

We have all these games in hand but the NHL screws us over putting big lumps of them together. Other teams just get a properly paced out schedule. March and April feature some brutal schedule packing of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad