Post-Game Talk: 2/9/18 | Canucks 1 @ Hurricanes 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I can’t even bring myself to care anymore. The only reason I was paying attention was for Boeser and that’s been taken away.

Other teams get rewarded for sucking, I’m literally expecting us to win the lottery and the league will somehow install a rule about taking away first round picks for back diving contracts right after.

This sucks. It sucks even more that our destitute neighbours in Edmonton had to go and screw up so many high picks that they changed the rules. And then they still got a generational talent and they’re right back in the basement.

This is exhausting. We’ve had 2 (maybe 3 if you’re old enough to remember) times of being contenders and everything had to go wrong when there was a chance. Canucks fans who’ve stuck through the years, decades and literal existence of the team waiting for something is likely never going to happen. We’re going to be that’s team that has to draft well (lol) with improbable odds, be the mockery of a league where teams are saved because of their location, and be that un-Canadian Canadian team.

Sure our management is garbage. But even when we had good management it didn’t matter. We could literally have Stephen Hawking run this team with the Scotty Bowman of 1977 coaching and everything would go wrong. I don’t even think anything the management does matters anymore. We’ve literally gotten ****ed with a pine cone covered in barbed wire and tiger balm and still managed to be half respectable.

We think the future looks bright because for the first time in forever we actually have a group of more than average young talent. But in the grand scheme were never going to get a McDavid, a Dahlin, a Matthews, anything aside from “steals”.

It blows and I’m tired of being a good sport about it. f*** the oilers for messing up so much talent that they had to go and change the rules, and based off history they’re probably going to get Dahlin and f*** him up too.

Last edited:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I’d also like to take a moment to point out that the 2010-11 Canucks were the most dominant regular season team since the 1976-77 Canadiens DESPITE getting their power plays cut by 60% half way through the season because the PP was so lethal.

All of this will be forgotten because all that will be remembered from that year is burning down the city and losing to a team that literally broke a players neck and another’s back with 0 repercussions.

Rinne mirrored Luo’s performance last year but you don’t see the constant mockery of how Laviolette didn’t play the backup. Think about that for a moment.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Alex Auld: "Where teams have all young players, that's not a situation where teams succeed".

What a crock. All that matters is if you're good, young or old.

Well it is true because for the most part no matter how good you think your prospect pool is, it won’t be good enough to fully build you a successful team. You need to be good at other things as a management team. You need to be make smart free agent signings. Smart trades. Smart contract extensions. Etc. But I have a feeling that was not how Auld meant his comments. He likely meant it in a mentoring way and that’s BS I agree.

Eveb if we were to give them a pass on drafting (I don’t agree), they are so terrible at everything else that you can’t possibly move forward with Benning and company.

Reactions: Pump n Dump

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Time to clean house, but unfortunately there is little in Utica to promote other than Demko who hasn't played in 2 weeks and Goldobin who has little clue and looks very uncomfortable in his own zone......... Probably better off tanking and hope to get lucky in the lottery.........or at least break even in the lottery.........

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Time to clean house, but unfortunately there is little in Utica to promote other than Demko who hasn't played in 2 weeks and Goldobin who has little clue and looks very uncomfortable in his own zone......... Probably better off tanking and hope to get lucky in the lottery.........or at least break even in the lottery.........

Assuming we have any chance in the lottery is optimistic at best. We’re looking forward to picking 5th yet again.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Assuming we have any chance in the lottery is optimistic at best. We’re looking forward to picking 5th yet again.
Right not the Canucks are in the 4th spot, and the senators are only one point behind. I can't see this Canucks squad winning many games with this rag tag group... Top 3 spot for sure....

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Right not the Canucks are in the 4th spot, and the senators are only one point behind. I can't see this Canucks squad winning many games with this rag tag group... Top 3 spot for sure....
The top 3 spots are all lottery for any team that doesn’t make the playoffs. Even if we finish dead last, there’s a higher probability that they pick 4th than first.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yes there is higher probability they don’t pick first however the lower you fall the odds of picking first do increase.

And with that said they are bottom 3 by point percentage.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Well it is true because for the most part no matter how good you think your prospect pool is, it won’t be good enough to fully build you a successful team. You need to be good at other things as a management team. You need to be make smart free agent signings. Smart trades. Smart contract extensions. Etc. But I have a feeling that was not how Auld meant his comments. He likely meant it in a mentoring way and that’s BS I agree.

Eveb if we were to give them a pass on drafting (I don’t agree), they are so terrible at everything else that you can’t possibly move forward with Benning and company.
Yeah, let’s say we get lucky and get Dahlin and every one of Boeser, Petterson, Dahlin and Demko hit their absolute peak within 3 years. That alone will eat up around 30M in cap and with Bo and Eriksson’s contract, that’s like 40M with 6 guys. Does anyone really think this management group can fill out the rest of the roster with like 30-40 M?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I’d also like to take a moment to point out that the 2010-11 Canucks were the most dominant regular season team since the 1976-77 Canadiens DESPITE getting their power plays cut by 60% half way through the season because the PP was so lethal.

All of this will be forgotten because all that will be remembered from that year is burning down the city and losing to a team that literally broke a players neck and another’s back with 0 repercussions.

Rinne mirrored Luo’s performance last year but you don’t see the constant mockery of how Laviolette didn’t play the backup. Think about that for a moment.

How about one year later when the team STILL finished 1st overall in the regular season (4th in GF & 4th in GA) but a number of people still expected/wanted to start the rebuild then?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks have been the "Sedin" team since before Benning. It's why they had to accept Benning. It's why they cannot find an NHL Coach. It's why nobody wants to sign here every off season.

Brad Marchand did more damage to this franchise in ten seconds than either GM. What GIF plays in every player's mind when somebody say "Sedin"?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I can’t even bring myself to care anymore. The only reason I was paying attention was for Boeser and that’s been taken away.

Other teams get rewarded for sucking, I’m literally expecting us to win the lottery and the league will somehow install a rule about taking away first round picks for back diving contracts right after.

This sucks. It sucks even more that our destitute neighbours in Edmonton had to go and screw up so many high picks that they changed the rules. And then they still got a generational talent and they’re right back in the basement.

This is exhausting. We’ve had 2 (maybe 3 if you’re old enough to remember) times of being contenders and everything had to go wrong when there was a chance. Canucks fans who’ve stuck through the years, decades and literal existence of the team waiting for something is likely never going to happen. We’re going to be that’s team that has to draft well (lol) with improbable odds, be the mockery of a league where teams are saved because of their location, and be that un-Canadian Canadian team.

Sure our management is garbage. But even when we had good management it didn’t matter. We could literally have Stephen Hawking run this team with the Scotty Bowman of 1977 coaching and everything would go wrong. I don’t even think anything the management does matters anymore. We’ve literally gotten ****ed with a pine cone covered in barbed wire and tiger balm and still managed to be half respectable.

We think the future looks bright because for the first time in forever we actually have a group of more than average young talent. But in the grand scheme were never going to get a McDavid, a Dahlin, a Matthews, anything aside from “steals”.

It blows and I’m tired of being a good sport about it. **** the oilers for messing up so much talent that they had to go and change the rules, and based off history they’re probably going to get Dahlin and **** him up too.
The only thing that gives us a chance at Dahlin is the lottery

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Canucks have been the "Sedin" team since before Benning. It's why they had to accept Benning. It's why they cannot find an NHL Coach. It's why nobody wants to sign here every off season.

Brad Marchand did more damage to this franchise in ten seconds than either GM. What GIF plays in every player's mind when somebody say "Sedin"?
almost 9.5 million so far this year for 15 goals.

i hate to pick on the old guys but 75% O zone starts and 1st line PP for 15 goals and people want them back at 5 million each?

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
almost 9.5 million so far this year for 15 goals.

i hate to pick on the old guys but 75% O zone starts and 1st line PP for 15 goals and people want them back at 5 million each?
Yeah Benning inherited that; course he didn't inherit the other Sedin-like contract who has 8 goals so far this season for his $6 million cap hit. A bit misleading adding in Hank's goal totals since even when he won the Art Ross trophy, he only had 29 goals IMHO. Never a goal scorer (WAS an elite playmaker).

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So the first time (v Canes) was as good as we've been. We won... then lost everything right after.

This loss (v Canes) certainly seems like this current season's rock bottom.

Incoming run!

Canes are good at providing our team turning points in our seasons.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah Benning inherited that; course he didn't inherit the other Sedin-like contract who has 8 goals so far this season for his $6 million cap hit. A bit misleading adding in Hank's goal totals since even when he won the Art Ross trophy, he only had 29 goals IMHO. Never a goal scorer (WAS an elite playmaker).
Sure defend their honor all you want by deflecting to Eriksson or whoever but the FACT is they are getting prime opportunities unlike any other players in the entire NHL and they are sucking at it. Not only that they are getting eaten alive 5v5. It's over and the longer we prop them up the longer it takes for other to learn how to be effective producers.

In 2011 we paid 12 million for 60 goals and they made others around them better and were good 2 way. Need to stop living in 7-8yrs ago

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Sure defend their honor all you want by deflecting to Eriksson or whoever but the FACT is they are getting prime opportunities unlike any other players in the entire NHL and they are sucking at it. Not only that they are getting eaten alive 5v5. It's over and the longer we prop them up the longer it takes for other to learn how to be effective producers.

In 2011 we paid 12 million for 60 goals and they made others around them better and were good 2 way. Need to stop living in 7-8yrs ago
Wasn't trying deflect; didn't mean to imply that. Only pointing out Benning came here in with one handcuff on (the Sedins) but his own actions but the other handcuff on the other hand.

I don't want them re-signed for the record; only your 2011 statement should reflect both Sedins still did manage one last hurrah in the 2013-14 season (both in the top ten in the NHL in points).

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

utterly deranged

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think the twins COULD be still effective, but THEY now NEED a player like Hansen. Someone with speed who is good defensively who can get back quick and slow down the other team. A puck retriever with finish. We don't have anything like that. They use to be able to carry a line with whoever played with them, now they NEED major help.

They aren't bad in the half-court game, but they don't have the speed in transition or the quickness to go and get pucks.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So Boquist would be the pick but Im sure Benning will reach again and take Dobson or someone else who normally go around 10-15 :(

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So the first time (v Canes) was as good as we've been. We won... then lost everything right after.

This loss (v Canes) certainly seems like this current season's rock bottom.

Incoming run!

Canes are good at providing our team turning points in our seasons.
Ha thats hopefully true but whend it happen before this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad