GDT: 2/8/2021 CAR Red Sweaters at CBJ Blue Jackets II. Discuss.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I've got some questions on the cap situation and would appreciate an explanation from a capologist/armchair gm.

1) If they put McCormick on LTIR, would that have given them enough cap to bring up an 18th skater?
2) If so, what would be the downside of this move?
1) yes.
2) LTIR resets your cap ceiling to your current usage level. i.e we would be capped out at 80.6 million or whatever it was with McCormick on the roster. The problem with that is we do not gain any cap space while we have someone on LTIR. We cant add daily salary cap space to make a good deadline acquisition. Obviously, we gambled and lost when Necas and then Trocheck went down. We were having to replace 2 offensive players with 14 offensive players already counting against the cap.

*edited out hindsight because it seems to be wrong.*

So now that they played a game with 17 skaters, they can use the emergency loop hole and get a 18th skater without using the cap.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I've got some questions on the cap situation and would appreciate an explanation from a capologist/armchair gm.

1) If they put McCormick on LTIR, would that have given them enough cap to bring up an 18th skater?
2) If so, what would be the downside of this move?

There's some disadvantage in terms of "banking cap space" if you use LTIR space above the cap limit. I'm not sure, but don't think it would apply if McCormick is on LTIR and nobody else is called up, but when other guys are out, they have to call people up and be above the cap and use LTIR space, they can't "bank" cap space for use at the deadline.

EDIT: 0506 beat me to it.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
1) yes.
2) LTIR resets your cap ceiling to your current usage level. i.e we would be capped out at 80.6 million or whatever it was with McCormick on the roster. The problem with that is we do not gain any cap space while we have someone on LTIR. We cant add daily salary cap space to make a good deadline acquisition. Obviously, we gambled and lost when Necas and then Trocheck went down. We were having to replace 2 offensive players with 14 offensive players already counting against the cap.

hindsight being 20/20 putting McCormick back on the taxi squad would have been the better thing to do and let him ride out the injury on the taxi squad free of cap hit.

So now that they played a game with 17 skaters, they can use the emergency loop hole and get a 18th skater without using the cap.

Can they do that? I thought you couldn't assign an injured NHL player to the minors to hide cap / save money (2-way contract)? If that's true, I'd think a similar rule would exist with regard to the taxi squad. Actually asking the question, I don't pretend to know the details for sure.

Reactions: DaveG

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
hindsight being 20/20 putting McCormick back on the taxi squad would have been the better thing to do and let him ride out the injury on the taxi squad free of cap hit.

Thanks for the explanations. More questions to continue my education:

1) If they could've moved McCormick back down the taxi squad and replaced him with Lorentz in a cap neutral move, what was the argument against doing this?

2) What is the "emergency loop hole" that allows a team to get a another skater without using cap space?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Thanks for the explanations. More questions to continue my education:

1) If they could've moved McCormick back down the taxi squad and replaced him with Lorentz in a cap neutral move, what was the argument against doing this?

2) What is the "emergency loop hole" that allows a team to get a another skater without using cap space?

1) Im going to assume that I misspoke on this one. The CBA says that if a player is hurt while performing his duties then they have to paid their salary and for any treatments. Article 11, para 5. I am going to assume that means his NHL salary since he was in a NHL game. Also, one of the taxi squad rules was an injured player on the taxi squad is assumed injured during an AHL game.

2)
e) Roster Emergency Exception. In the event that (i) a Club has Payroll Room less than the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $100,000 (i.e., that Club’s Averaged Club Salary is greater than the Upper Limit minus the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary minus $100,000); (ii) a Player on such Club becomes unfit or unable to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) or is suspended; (iii) such Club is unable to sign and/or Recall a Player with an Averaged Amount equal to the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus $100,000 under the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception; (iv) as a result of such Player being unfit or unable to play or suspended and the Club having Payroll Room less than the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $100,000, the Club has fewer than eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goalies (“18 and 2”) on its Playing Roster (pursuant to Section 16.4(c)); and (v) the Club played its previous game with fewer than 18 and 2 (a “Roster Emergency”), then such Club may, beginning with the second game and continuing with all subsequent games and without any charge to the Club’s Averaged Club Salary for the duration of such Roster Emergency, add to its Playing Roster the requisite number of “emergency replacement” Player(s), provided, however, that (i) each such Player may not have an Averaged Amount that is more than the then-applicable Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus $100,000 (e.g., $625,000 in 2012-13); and (ii) each such Player may only remain on that Club’s Active Roster during the period of the “Roster Emergency.”
(i) The Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonus of any Player added to the Playing Roster pursuant to this Section shall be included in the Players’ Share.
(ii) No Club shall be limited in the number of times it may invoke the Roster Emergency Exception in any League Year, provided that the Exception is at all times invoked in full compliance with this Section 50.10(e).​
Article 50.10 (e) of the CBA

Last edited:

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
1) place holder

Thanks for sharing the loop hole details. I was unaware of that.

So, by playing with 17 skaters, they will now be able to bring up Lorentz without him counting against the cap (if Tro ahd Necas are still out).

I'm still confused as to why this was preferable to simply swapping McCormick and Lorentz yesterday and rolling with 18.

By running 17 yesterday, did they accrue a cap benefit even though McCormick is still technically on the roster?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Can they do that? I thought you couldn't assign an injured NHL player to the minors to hide cap / save money (2-way contract)? If that's true, I'd think a similar rule would exist with regard to the taxi squad. Actually asking the question, I don't pretend to know the details for sure.
Im going to go with no but it took a lot of digging to get there.

I guess the CBA says that is a player is hurt while performing his duties then they have to paid their salary and for any treatments. Article 11, para 5. I am going to assume that means his NHL salary since he was in a NHL game. Also, one of the taxi squad rules was an injured player on the taxi squad is assumed injured during an AHL game.

Maybe I misspoke on that one. I havent found anything that clearly says it but Im guessing there is something I havent found yet that does.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Thanks for sharing the loop hole details. I was unaware of that.

So, by playing with 17 skaters, they will now be able to bring up Lorentz without him counting against the cap (if Tro ahd Necas are still out).

I'm still confused as to why this was preferable to simply swapping McCormick and Lorentz yesterday and rolling with 18.

By running 17 yesterday, did they accrue a cap benefit even though McCormick is still technically on the roster?

I caused that confusion from a misassumption of mine because i hadnt seen anything that said it wasnt allowed but I think the CBA kind of says otherwise. I edited the post you quoted to clarify.

Basically emergency call ups are allowed to stay on the roster 10 days or until reported injured player is now able to play, whichever comes first. Waiver and cap exempt (no matter the waiver requirement of the emergency call up). So yes to your question.

The only cap benefit they would have accrued yesterday would be the tiny amount of unused dollars that were not used because the were under 100k in cap.

Reactions: Tryamw

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So after unpacking all that it sounds like McCormick blowing out his shoulder might be the most financially beneficial thing he ever does.

Do I have that right?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Im going to go with no but it took a lot of digging to get there.

I guess the CBA says that is a player is hurt while performing his duties then they have to paid their salary and for any treatments. Article 11, para 5. I am going to assume that means his NHL salary since he was in a NHL game. Also, one of the taxi squad rules was an injured player on the taxi squad is assumed injured during an AHL game.

Maybe I misspoke on that one. I havent found anything that clearly says it but Im guessing there is something I havent found yet that does.

The more you think about it the more unlikely it seems that the players union would ever agree to a clause that would, e.g., let the Canes put Necas on the taxi squad and pay him at a rate of $70k instead of at his current salary of $833k after he was injured in an NHL game.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah this is what it looked like but didn’t really make sense based on everyone’s positioning. Shit happens though.

I wasn’t listening so the idea that trip tried to blame that on Dzingle solely is a complete joke. The guy isnt good defensively, but making that play isn’t his job as bleed said above.
It’s not the initial replay I was talking about, during the timeout with about 45 seconds left Tripp does a more thorough breakdown where he very specifically highlights Dzingle, even puts the graphic over his head so you follow him and says he stopped skating. Hank may be talking about the initial replay. I said my comment after watching the timeout comments, when I watched the game later than y’all.

Like I said I didnt think it was right as Dzingle did zero wrong there. Pesce went outside for some reason and then hesitated because he thought maybe Dzingle had the guy that Pesce should’ve been in front of. Dzingle couldn’t have prevented the shot in any way, Roslovic was on his forehand.

It happens, but Pesce chose the wrong lane then doubled down hesitating thinking someone behind the guy on the wrong side had him. In like half a second. It’s not worth dwelling over but Dzingle doesn’t get any blemish on that.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
If Pesce simply hits Roslovic, it's a turnover and Dzingel takes possession, but at the same time, if Dzingel moves his feet, he's able to keep Roslovic to the outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad