GDT: 2/8/2021 CAR Red Sweaters at CBJ Blue Jackets II. Discuss.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm not mad but I'm pretty disgusted that the refs have had such a huge and direct impact on the final score of the last 2 games.

Not really. Just like the Jackets had an entire period yesterday to win the game after that blown call, we had an entire period to win the game after tonight's blown call.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Something that we’ve learned the past decade plus from the likes of Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa, Boston, Chicago...

Doesn’t matter what the circumstances are, a team that wants to be taken seriously will come off a loss like that and win 4 of the next 5, 5/6, 6/7 and so on, no questions asked.

Petr is out, Reimer looks poor, third string Ned will have to face a few more starts most likely. Doesn’t matter.

Half of the top six are either out or currently severely impacted by time out due to covid. Doesn’t matter.

Pesce dragging around five defenseman since the first Dallas game. Doesn’t matter.

Not to be too melodramatic of course, team is 7-3 and looking ok. We’ll see how solid we look as the season progresses.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
What exactly was Pesce doing on the winning goal? Did he think Ryan Dzingle on the wrong side of him was going to stop him?
Pesce is pretty much my favorite, and I’d love to defend him but he got dangled. It happens. Doesn’t mean anything and you move on.

On the other hand, Tripp breaking down the play going into detail spinning that to be a Dzingle mistake makes me wish Tripp could be suspended a week for poor analysis. Go stick your head in the sand bud.

Reactions: Tryamw

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Pesce is pretty much my favorite, and I’d love to defend him but he got dangled. It happens. Doesn’t mean anything and you move on.

On the other hand, Tripp breaking down the play going into detail spinning that to be a Dzingle mistake makes me wish Tripp could be suspended a week for poor analysis. Go stick your head in the sand bud.

Rod said in the interview "each guy thought the other guy had him, it happens."

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
And I agree that’s what happened with Pesce in that moment but it certainly isn’t on the “back pressure” guy. That’s the point of back pressure, to help the guy providing front pressure. He never chases the puck carrier all the way to the net from behind and the back pressure guy doesn’t usually catch all the way up. He just limits time and space. That’s why it’s not at all on Dzingle and Pesce knows that. He for a second got caught up in it and made the wrong choice. It happens. Tripp shouldn’t be throwing either of them under the bus, and certainly not Dzingle.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Yeah this is what it looked like but didn’t really make sense based on everyone’s positioning. Shit happens though.

I wasn’t listening so the idea that trip tried to blame that on Dzingle solely is a complete joke. The guy isnt good defensively, but making that play isn’t his job as bleed said above.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I thought before this season started that Columbus was the most likely of the new division opponents to bring a lot of drama, and these two games didn't disappoint. That 4 game set they'll play on a few weeks should be intense

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yeah this is what it looked like but didn’t really make sense based on everyone’s positioning. Shit happens though.

I wasn’t listening so the idea that trip tried to blame that on Dzingle solely is a complete joke. The guy isnt good defensively, but making that play isn’t his job as bleed said above.

Tripp was not saying that at all. He pointed out both errors: that Pesce got himself outside of the dots, and that Dzingle stopped skating for a second. Both of those things are true, and both of them contributed to the goal, which was, let's be clear, a very nice exploit of two smallish mistakes.

But the point of backchecking is not just to limit time and space; it's also to break up the play if the guy comes into your lane. You can't do that if you don't keep skating.

I thought Tripp's call of it was spot on.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Meh, the difference was missing on 4-5 prime opportunities moreso than that one penalty shot...it was garbage no-doubt but we didn't have much luck on those close chances
Bingo. Jackets capitalized on their chances, we didn't despite having more of them. Yeah the penalty shot was iffy... You still don't win many games only scoring twice even in soccer, yet alone hockey.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Wouldn't be surprised either way. Torts is a great coach but his ego is arguably the biggest thing between him and winning another Cup.

Hopefully Aho was whispering sweet nothings into Laine's earn causing him to sign a 3 year 20 million dollar contract with us this offseason.
Yes, one can only hope. Laine should know he belongs with the Hurricanes so he can play with skilled fellow countrymen :nod:

Rod would never bench Laine hint hint wink wink
Also, yes.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I've got some questions on the cap situation and would appreciate an explanation from a capologist/armchair gm.

1) If they put McCormick on LTIR, would that have given them enough cap to bring up an 18th skater?
2) If so, what would be the downside of this move?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad