Post-Game Talk: 2/8/18 | Canucks 2 at TBay 5

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
haha! Is it wrong that I like Katelyn? Go Canada Go!

Again with the spelling.... damn.

My cousin is a curler from Winnipeg too. I'll see if I can get him to hook you up with a phone number. He's in Calgary now but he's connected. He won Olympic gold in 2014 yo! :yo:

(I just had to work that in somewhere with it being the Olympics and all)

Reactions: Ozone

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

My cousin is a curler from Winnipeg too. I'll see if I can get him to hook you up with a phone number. He's in Calgary now but he's connected. He won Olympic gold in 2014 yo! :yo:

haha! I was just so excited by her eyes...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Last three games against the Florida teams illustrate just how far removed the Canucks are from the reality of where the NHL is going.....at times it looked like 40 year old beer league players chasing a team of NHL prospects.....surely the Canucks have to the slowest team in the NHL....can't think of another team that's even close.

And I don't care who's in the pipeline.....until those kids arrive and prove they belong, all you can do is base your assessment of this team on the current NHL roster. And after four years of Linden-Benning it's just laughably bad.....and to make matters worse the Canucks are spending to the cap every year.....is there a single player, excluding the kids on entry-level deals and maybe Vanek/Horvat, who are performing to the dollar-value of their contracts?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
YAWN Montreal aint won nothing since most a us being alive so means as much to me as the Canucks not winning. There a joke with a joke of a GM joke of a coach joke of a captain joke of a team joke of prospects. Joke

Canucks at least have a positive future with some great pieces. Blues have the same crappy core like we use to have and they have had for a while which will CONTINUSUOULY lead to playoff DISASTER time in time again

Boeser PBP BoHo Gaudfather Demko and others to lead our NEW CORE

Man I love this team :yo:

Nothing you have said here changes a thing. You can ignore history or face facts. I know what path you are going to take so there is no sense going any further.

You can believe "most of us being alive" never saw the phenomenal Canadiens, but I suffered through their Cup wins in 60, 65, 66, 68, 69, 71, 73, 76, 78, 79, 86, and 93. That's only 12 of the 24 since the NHL was formed.

Your new core is a long ways off if Benning keeps up his work. An extension will bury this club in spite of the youth which he will no doubt trade some away in order "to win now". You've been alive long enough to know how that will turn out based on past experience. The Vancouver media and the majority of the fan faithful outside of this blog all support the man. If Linden wants to keep him on, it will take Aquaman going against his "historical favorite" to overhaul management. If he was actually hockey knowledgeable enough, he would have done this duo and their crew in long ago.If they are all capable of snowing him one more time, he will be re-signed and God help their future.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There were parts of this game where the Canucks were hopelessly outclassed - just dominated. Only when Tampa backed off were the Canucks able to do much.

Thought both Horvat and Boeser had a couple of tough periods until they were able to get a little going in the third. When Tampa got the right match-ups the Horvat line couldn't hardly get the puck out of the zone

Del Zotto seems to have lost any mobility. Has no ability to help offensively ATM. Started the season skating well but now down to a walk. Coverage problems also evident. Tanev struggled again and Edler was so-so. Stecher seemed the only d-man playing with any energy. Canuck defense very much exposed in this one and often just couldn't cover the front of the net

Eriksson had some chances but was too slow reacting to do anything. Both him and Vanek couldn't skate with the Lightening and point to the slowness of the team. You have to wonder why management would pursue such players when teams like Tampa are showing the league is moving towards increasing speed. Vanek should not be retained. Players like him are dinosaurs in a changing NHL.

Boucher demonstrated some good puck management and illustrated he had little problem staying in the play. However to get a true read on him, he needs to be played with offensive players. Being out with Virtanen and Dowd gives him little chance to show much. Virtanen had some good moments but seems on a different page than his teammates too often.

Sutter did very little in this game. Inability to distribute the puck was evident again.

Sedins were poor. This again points directly to the slowness problems with the team and that is all related to brain dead management.

Yup.

Starts with the Sedins. They're done. Simply can't skate at this level at ES in this league anymore. They've been outscored at ES by a nearly 2:1 ratio this year despite being spoon fed the softest minutes imaginable with 75% offensive zone starts. They're still good on the PP but if you're this much of a liability at ES ... you're finished. It shouldn't be an option for them to return next year and take the minutes that should be going to younger players. Exact same thing goes for Vanek.

Past that ... just such a mess.

If you could get rid of all of the Sedins, Vanek, Eriksson, Gagner, Granlund this summer, you do it. And that's literally 2/3 of our top 9 forwards that are just junk and liabilities.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Yup.

Starts with the Sedins. They're done. Simply can't skate at this level at ES in this league anymore. They've been outscored at ES by a nearly 2:1 ratio this year despite being spoon fed the softest minutes imaginable with 75% offensive zone starts. They're still good on the PP but if you're this much of a liability at ES ... you're finished. It shouldn't be an option for them to return next year and take the minutes that should be going to younger players. Exact same thing goes for Vanek.

If you could get rid of all of the Sedins, Vanek, Eriksson, Gagner, Granlund this summer, you do it. And that's literally 2/3 of our top 9 forwards that are just junk and liabilities.
I would not get rid of the Sedins if they sign for around 3 million each. They are still good for 40-50 points... besides I think after next year we really should start being more competitive. Even with the Sedins here you still have spots for all the prospects. I think after getting another top 5 this year its not in our best interest to tank anymore. You can only tank so much untul you turn into the Coyotes.

Reactions: Index

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would not get rid of the Sedins if they sign for around 3 million each. They are still good for 40-50 points... besides I think after next year we really should start being more competitive. Even with the Sedins here you still have spots for all the prospects. I think after getting another top 5 this year its not in our best interest to tank anymore. You can only tank so much untul you turn into the Coyotes.

Getting 40-50 points when you're being outscored by a 2:1 margin is not an accomplishment.

I love the Sedins. I've been one of their biggest supporters for almost 20 years. But they're finished, and are the biggest liabilities on the roster.

Again, they're being spoonfed absurdly butter-soft minutes (of the sort that should be going to young players to put them in positions to succeed) and getting absolutely destroyed and outscored by an absurd nearly 2:1 ratio. They can't keep up anymore in even the most contrived, easy scenario our coaches can create.

Getting rid of the Sedins isn't tanking. It's what will make this team better. Our old, slow players are the biggest problem with this team holding us back and the biggest reason we're where we are in the standings.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I feel so bad for Stecher right now. You can see he's really really trying, but the results are on a different planet.

Also, this team sucks.

The 4-0 and 5-2 goals were so sad. They've thrown in the towel.

I look at this roster, and who would I want to keep longer than one year? Boeser, Horvat, maybe Baert...then who? Hutton and Stecher I think could at least make a good contribution on a winning team if given decent support within a strong system...neither of which we have.

Dark days continue.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I want to like that post @MS but i can't bring myself to do it. :(

I feel shitty writing it but it needs to be said.

It's nuts that these guys are not only completely in control of whether they'll be on the team next year, but that the entire direction of the team is resting on them.

Strong management would be having a quiet meeting with these guys now and letting them know their playing time here is done and allowing them to plan their exit in April in the way they feel is best. They should not be back.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yup.

So much this

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006

so your cousins Ryan Fry? lol

can he hook me up with Lawes' replacement on Jones' team? Shannon Birchard, lol :P

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Henrik has been on for 26 ES GF and 43 ES GA. Daniel 23 ES GF and 41 ES GA. Not great, but not quite 2:1.

Henrik is on pace for 53 points, Daniel for 49 points.

And I'm seeing 55.9% of faceoffs for the Sedins have been in the offensive zone on NHL.com and Corsica shows a 50.6% ES OZ Start % for both of them. Not sure where the 75% is from.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Getting 40-50 points when you're being outscored by a 2:1 margin is not an accomplishment.

I love the Sedins. I've been one of their biggest supporters for almost 20 years. But they're finished, and are the biggest liabilities on the roster.

Again, they're being spoonfed absurdly butter-soft minutes (of the sort that should be going to young players to put them in positions to succeed) and getting absolutely destroyed and outscored by an absurd nearly 2:1 ratio. They can't keep up anymore in even the most contrived, easy scenario our coaches can create.

Getting rid of the Sedins isn't tanking. It's what will make this team better. Our old, slow players are the biggest problem with this team holding us back and the biggest reason we're where we are in the standings.

This is definitely one of the hardest things I've had to come to terms with as a fan. It's time to know when an era is over and to move on from it in a manner where both parties can have some dignity.

I really hate hearing that it's the Sedin's decision too—yes, they have been amazing players for us and got us to the brink of a championship, but the longer we let them linger the longer it's going to take to rebound from this.

For one, I would like to see the team run at least two years of significantly reduced salary expenditures, more in the range of 80-85% of the cap instead of 98-100% range. There's no reason to bloat payroll for a team that performs in the bottom-3 range for 3 straight years. Having $14MM come off the payroll would provide tremendous flexibility and relief.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Henrik has been on for 26 ES GF and 43 ES GA. Daniel 23 ES GF and 41 ES GA. Not great, but not quite 2:1.

Henrik is on pace for 53 points, Daniel for 49 points.

And I'm seeing 55.9% of faceoffs for the Sedins have been in the offensive zone on NHL.com and Corsica shows a 50.6% ES OZ Start % for both of them. Not sure where the 75% is from.

Do you have a link because I see 73.22 and 73.12 on NHL.com

NHL.com - Stats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad