Post-Game Talk: 2/8/18 | Canucks 2 at TBay 5

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Eh.

I don’t think there is harm in pointing out that in the past 13 games Boeser has just one even strength goal. It is the least of our concerns to be sure but no need to be defensive about it.

Probably good to also note that top players often go lengthy stretches without scoring at even strength though. This season alone, Tavares had a 14 game stretch with just one even strength goal, while Malkin had a 16 game stretch with just one even strength goal.

Hope Brock can start scoring soon at even strength again though since it would be a nice boost to his Calder chances. Barzal's hit a bit of a slump himself with 0 goals, 6 assists and -8 in his last 10 games.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Kaitlyn-Lawes-call-resized.jpg

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I would not get rid of the Sedins if they sign for around 3 million each. They are still good for 40-50 points... besides I think after next year we really should start being more competitive. Even with the Sedins here you still have spots for all the prospects. I think after getting another top 5 this year its not in our best interest to tank anymore. You can only tank so much untul you turn into the Coyotes.
t this point the Sedins aren't worth more than 3m in total

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Yup.

Starts with the Sedins. They're done. Simply can't skate at this level at ES in this league anymore. They've been outscored at ES by a nearly 2:1 ratio this year despite being spoon fed the softest minutes imaginable with 75% offensive zone starts. They're still good on the PP but if you're this much of a liability at ES ... you're finished. It shouldn't be an option for them to return next year and take the minutes that should be going to younger players. Exact same thing goes for Vanek.

Past that ... just such a mess.

If you could get rid of all of the Sedins, Vanek, Eriksson, Gagner, Granlund this summer, you do it. And that's literally 2/3 of our top 9 forwards that are just junk and liabilities.

You couldn’t be more right. What I see creeping in now is the bad habits to the rest of the team. There is a huge lack of leadership and these guys cannot be brought back as the culture of turnin* the other cheek is just another nail in the coffin.

Boeser is learning to pass before shooting now. Elder is another that must go. His soft breakouts have been brutal, and cost the team on several occasions.

I love the sedans as you know ms. But it’s time to say it’s time.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I knew they were getting fairly easy deployment but damn, I didn't realize it was to that extent with those results.

I still think we're better off with them getting limited minutes and 2PP time than guys like Sutter and Granlund, but I might have to change my position on the situation.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Probably good to also note that top players often go lengthy stretches without scoring at even strength though. This season alone, Tavares had a 14 game stretch with just one even strength goal, while Malkin had a 16 game stretch with just one even strength goal.

Hope Brock can start scoring soon at even strength again though since it would be a nice boost to his Calder chances. Barzal's hit a bit of a slump himself with 0 goals, 6 assists and -8 in his last 10 games.

Certainly

Hell kucherovs goal today broke an 11 game drought.

I've been expecting boeser to go 10-15 games without a goal at some point this year and the fact that he hasn't is remarkable

Reactions: Jack Burton

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
MS is saying things that have been true for years. Sedins were a bad signing and doomed the team.
I disagree. I agree in the sense they are done now but Sedins aren't the reason where we are. That is all on Benning and company. They have used the sedins as an excuse for their incompetence in not being able to proprEly rebuild.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Getting 40-50 points when you're being outscored by a 2:1 margin is not an accomplishment.

I love the Sedins. I've been one of their biggest supporters for almost 20 years. But they're finished, and are the biggest liabilities on the roster.

Again, they're being spoonfed absurdly butter-soft minutes (of the sort that should be going to young players to put them in positions to succeed) and getting absolutely destroyed and outscored by an absurd nearly 2:1 ratio. They can't keep up anymore in even the most contrived, easy scenario our coaches can create.

Getting rid of the Sedins isn't tanking. It's what will make this team better. Our old, slow players are the biggest problem with this team holding us back and the biggest reason we're where we are in the standings.

this is completely true. with regular shift deployment the sedins subtract more than they add at this point. even with sheltered starts they are a liability at even strength.

green knows this and plays them less whenever he can.

unfortunately a lot of the time they are among the best options he has. anytime the bo line is a little off, or there are injuries, or we are down a goal or more, which is collectively often, the sedins still get the call. it's the same logic as pinching when you are down. it is dangerous and bound to cause odd man rushes, but you need to get back in the game.

the issue is whether we would be better off without the sedins right now keeping in mind we are losing a lot of games either way. in other words, in the short term, is the alternative even worse?

i would say yes. add together the poise and control they still maintain on the pp, to the fact they do generate even strength offence at a higher rate than the folks we could dress instead of them, and it's better than nothing..

it's kind of a trap. there is definitely no way we can win with the sedins playing in anything but a very limited role, but so long as we can't win anyway they may in fact be providing enough offence to give our young players a chance to develop in games that are somewhat competitive, and, it also bears emphasis that when the sedins do get burned, it's on them, not the young guys.

Reactions: Ozone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad