Post-Game Talk: 2/6/18 | Canucks 1 @ Panthers 3

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
You and others that keep pushing Holm into the lineup realize you have never seen him play in his own end, but probably like the points you see him putting up.Remeber Subban put up points in the same manner with the same emphasis on the PP, but no one cried a lot of tears when you never saw him play one NHL game in Vancouver. Holm is no guarantee of any kind to sparkle the same way in Vancouver. We note some defensive problems here that will be multiplied in the bigs.

I'd like to see him succeed up there, but I wouldn't count my sheep too quickly.
I literally made one post about holm, in like a year I think

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
3265dc5e8af66ce124ae97b145bad1a9.png
holy shit was this actually the scene lmao

I mean I know the first period just started but that's depressing af

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It wasn't just Hutton.....this defense is basically a bunch of pylons when it comes to dealing with a swift-skating team like the Panthers or the Lightning......they give up the blueline and back in, but get beat inside out anyway.

Outside of maybe Buffalo this the worst defense in the NHL....even Arizona is better with guys like OEL, Chychrun and a number of young guys who are improving......Colorado, which was a blueline disaster last year, is far better this year. After four years of the Linden-Benning regime, this is the best blueline they can come up with?

Young guys better watch out. There is a system being taught at both levels. For 4 of 5 seasons I have sat in my seat and criticized the backing in of the Comets' D. The only season it wasn't prevalent was 2014-15. Stanley Cup vet and on ice coach Kent Huskins wouldn't allow it. Bobby Sanguinetti wasn't a sagger either and Biega wasn't a fan as well. They had the younger guys in their pairings challenging the puck carrier, getting into the body, and forcing him to the outside. Kind of the way a keeper prefers to see his brethren on D to play.

Right now it's worse than ever and the Vancouver fan favorite to become a Canuck, Brisebois, is the worst. There HAS to be a philosophy that involves backing in. If there wasn't these guys would be getting raked over the coals by the coaching staff. As a keeper I'd be chopping heads off my D if they backed in like that consistently. Very hard to stop what you can't see. Also the deflections are much tougher to react to the closer to you they occur.

I believe the philosophy is to keep the puck carrier wide and force shots to come from the outside. It's hard to do that when you are driving backwards as the opponent crosses the blue line and you give him a 10 ft+ gap while continuing to sink. Until recently this season you almost never saw a Comet D-man challenge the puck carrier at the blue line and force his *** wide way out on top. Blujus seems to have that element in his defensive play and Sautner is doing it as well. Chattie is trying to do it, but too often lunges instead of stepping up and making the turn to force the puck carrier to the outside. The lunge gets him off balance and he ends up chasing. It's a learning process. Forwards at this level have learned how to better handle the less skilled D-man and take advantage of the guy who is overly aggressive. That's why he is here. However, I believe we are seeing the sink in order to avoid the walk around when over committing to the forward's moves. Sink and get in the shooting lane and hope he passes since he can't see the net. Last resort, rely on your keeper to come up big.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Looks like I didnt miss much what a great game to miss. Gonna be GLUED to the tv for thursdays game that much i DO know hope its not a nother craptastic preformance

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I literally made one post about holm, in like a year I think

Never said you posted more than once. Simply included your post as one of a bunch all calling for or placing Holm in the Vancouver lineup. I just think one needs to actually see and know more about the guy they are thinking fits so readily before thinking it will be fine to trade another guy away who just might be better than player being named to replace replace him.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
wow, Chris Higgins is just told it like it is on tsn 1040 tonight. Love it. Nice not hearing a schill speaking about the team.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
What did he say?

Basically Virtanen should be in the AHL right now, and how poorly his whole situation has been handled. Then went on to talk about Granlund being what he actually is this year, opposite of what Abbott was saying, and that the team looks like they're just coasting to the end. Nice to hear opinions that aren't rose coloured glasses.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, Florida's crap defense non-system is a notch or two more entertaining than our crap defense non-system. At least they have younger players. Who put up long, long stretches of possession in the Canucks' end.

The giving a shit threshold was nowhere in sight on the ice. I lost count of the no-look backpasses that failed and nothing happened. It had all the intensity of a preseason split-squad scrimmage. The writing's on the wall in ten foot high letters. Sucks but was inevitable. Not like you don't see it coming, but it's still not a lot of fun. Virtanen and Gaunce benched in the 3rd...yeah, why not.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Gaunce made a nice pass and Eriksson almost scored from it. Virtanen wasnt great with a couple bad giveaways but atleast he is hitting a bit more now. Granlund fooled the goalie and got a nice SH goal with his speed. Did Vanek even play, I have a faint memory of him being angry tonight but didnt notice him. PC is right on how this game looked like a scrimmage. It did not look, hear, or feel like an NHL game

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It doesn't. No coach will put out a guy that gets walked like that. And his fancy stats and regular stats just aren't good enough to justify it.

Funny this coach constantly puts out Gudbranson, Del Zotto and Pouliot who also constantly get walked. Hutton screwed up and he shoul likely be a #6 on a decent team. But he has been better than those other 3.

Oh it may not be getting walked at the blueline (it often is) but they get walked down low etc. people are also treating this as some unknown player...Barkov is an excellent player who is going to turn in some Kesler like Selke performances in his career. Point per game shutdown center.

I also want to ask..why does Barkov make that move? He’s a responsible player that is going to make the safe play more often than not. So why does he cut inside instead of attacking down the wing? Is it because he thinks to himself “this is Ben Hutton and I can walk him!” Or is it “wow those defenders are really far apart giving me a straight shot to the net if I make a quick fake to the outside”. It is likely the latter and while Hutton looks bad one on one the guy on the other side isn’t off the hook either.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Extrapolater

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Never said you posted more than once. Simply included your post as one of a bunch all calling for or placing Holm in the Vancouver lineup. I just think one needs to actually see and know more about the guy they are thinking fits so readily before thinking it will be fine to trade another guy away who just might be better than player being named to replace replace him.

Nobody thinks Holm is some saviour or maybe even a top-six defenceman. But we already know what we have up here so it makes sense to see what he can offer at the NHL level and if he fits going forward.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i only saw the third.

stecher getting absolutely incinerated late in a shift when he was gassed because he had repeatedly pinched early pretty much sums up the current situation. our young dmen are getting destroyed trying to play an aggressive system that we have not been able to sustain for two months now except in short spurts.

they are being set up to fail.

Reactions: sting101

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
i only saw the third.

stecher getting absolutely incinerated late in a shift when he was gassed because he had repeatedly pinched early pretty much sums up the current situation. our young dmen are getting destroyed trying to play an aggressive system that we have not been able to sustain for two months now except in short spurts.

they are being set up to fail.

Yes they are. Green thus far has not shown that he coaches based on what he has available. Wanting to play a certain system is fine...trying to play that system when you don't have the personnel to do so is not.

Remember back to AV and Gillis. AV coached a very boring style. Gillis wanted to know if he could coach a more exciting up tempo system IF he got AV the players that could play that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad