Post-Game Talk: 2/3/18 | Lightning 4 @ Canucks 2 | It's 2011 but they're the Nucks and we're the Oilers

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Keeping my fingers crossed for the deadline.....ideally one or both of Gudbranson and Del Zotto are down the road for prospects/picks....and if there's a team desperate enough to take on one of the Canuck goalies, that would be another possible deal. And Vanek is dramatically improving his trade value. The TDL is almost as important to the Canucks future as the lottery balls.

And all those media pundits and posters lobbying for a return of the Sedins needed to step back take note of this game.....other than on the pp, the Sedins just looked like Wile E Coyote out there on a straight stretch of blacktop......just overwhelmed with the speed of the game. I know it'll be gut-wrenching...but it really is time.

Reactions: DecideFreedom

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Who, in their right mind would give a penny for either of our goalies? If you think we get a dime for our goalies at deadline you are gonna be sorely disappointed

Keeping my fingers crossed for the deadline.....ideally one or both of Gudbranson and Del Zotto are down the road for prospects/picks....and if there's a team desperate enough to take on one of the Canuck goalies, that would be another possible deal. And Vanek is dramatically improving his trade value. The TDL is almost as important to the Canucks future as the lottery balls.

And all those media pundits and posters lobbying for a return of the Sedins needed to step back take note of this game.....other than on the pp, the Sedins just looked like Wile E Coyote out there on a straight stretch of blacktop......just overwhelmed with the speed of the game. I know it'll be gut-wrenching...but it really is time.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Jimbo is not only good at identifying awful hockey players, he also excels at finding guys with god awful character like Gudbranson, Sutter, and Prust.

Reactions: arttk

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Boeser looked amazing all night. His passing is so much better than like, anyone else on the team lol. His board play is amazing, the way he wins battles, holds onto pucks, never throws it away but rather always seems to find someone open. And his solo effort to bring the game within 1 was pure magic.

And on the flipside, I cannot believe we are paying Loui Eriksson so much money for this. Him and Sutter and Granlund just looked lost with the speed of the game. So many times they were close to legitimate scoring chances and just could not chase pucks down. Four more years at six million??!?

I'm really hoping Vanek will pull in something nice at the deadline, he's been over-performing for what we paid him and any real contender lacking a top 6 winger will be nuts to not at least ring Jimbo's phone.

And again on the flipside, do you think anyone will take MDZ off our hands?

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Missed alot of the game but noticed Jake only played 8+ minutes.....was he that bad or just penalized for some bad give away?

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Missed alot of the game but noticed Jake only played 8+ minutes.....was he that bad or just penalized for some bad give away?

Wasn't horrible but not good by any means. Had a few rushes where he had the obvious play to sauce the pass over but he doesn't have the IQ to process the game fast enough and instead held on and shot it.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Wasn't horrible but not good by any means. Had a few rushes where he had the obvious play to sauce the pass over but he doesn't have the IQ to process the game fast enough and instead held on and shot it.

Him having a few rushes, and I noticed him actually being physical again, is actually encouraging even if he's not performing yet. He may not have had a good game, but by his standards I think his last 2 games have been at least somewhat encouraging. He's making steps towards being a 4th liner, and maybe he can actually keep improving.

I've never wondered the statistics on shooting vs passing 2 on 1. Would be interesting to learn if say shooting had a higher chance of success.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Give the Canucks an "A" for effort and for hanging in when it would have been easy to quit. However, the game illustrated a basic difference between teams like Tampa Bay and us. Tampa showed a much better team game whereas the Canucks play often gets fragmented.

I think that comes down to Tampa having a better overall conceptual framework for their team. They know the style and systems they want to play and draft and trade to get players to fit that framework. The Canucks, on the other hand, seem much more random in their team building. They acquire whatever they can get off free agency and the draft (especially in the latter rounds) based on criteria seemingly unconnected to some general scheme. Get a little of this and a little of that and then expect the coach to make something coherent out of it. For example, Tampa would never pick up an Ericksson since he doesn't skate well enough to play their type of game. Same goes with Pouliot - how does he fit some overall plan for the team. He is way too slow to play any type of speed game. I think you would be hard pressed to identify the type of game Vancouver is intending play and how they are selecting players to suit that game.

In the end, you see this difference show up in the play. Tampa team game is much better. Their puck movement is better, their cycle is better and certainly their puck support is better. Lot of what the Canucks do is based on individual efforts and scrambling the play.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I was 1 million times wrong about sergachev, he has developed way faster than I every thought he would, guy looks dynamite damn!

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I was 1 million times wrong about sergachev, he has developed way faster than I every thought he would, guy looks dynamite damn!

I'll have to admit fault here as well.

I had pegged Sergachev to be a guy with high octane offense avec zero defensive savviness. I also took him to be flaky, and I'll have to admit that it was because of his Russian background. That's on me.

He's an amazing talent for sure.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'll have to also admit - I effin' love Tampa's style of game.

They remind me of the 2008 Red Wings.

I'll be cheering for Tampa Bay come playoff time, barring an unexpected Hank or Dan trade somewhere (in which case, I would cheer for that team).

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The NHL channel showed the feed from Hockey Night in Canada last night and I watched the Coach's Corner. Is Don Cherry held in high regard in Canada (I know he hates European players)? Must say that I personally think he comes across as a bit of a nutter. what's with the outlandish jacket/suit!

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
The NHL channel showed the feed from Hockey Night in Canada last night and I watched the Coach's Corner. Is Don Cherry held in high regard in Canada (I know he hates European players)? Must say that I personally think he comes across as a bit of a nutter. what's with the outlandish jacket/suit!

He's generally regarded as an antiquated clown these days, but he does still get some respect from the "old time hockey" crowd.

I share some of his opinions about the softening of the game over the last decade or so... but his take on European players has always been off base. His taste in clothing has always been comical at best, sad/tragical at worst.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
most Canadian hockey fans under 30 probably see him as senile tbh, he has his moments but his rants turn more obscure and hilarious by the year

With that said he'll still retain "Canadian legend" status when he retires just because of his history of work

His anti-European bias is pretty cringeworthy to listen to, almost as bad as when he gushes over the Leafs

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
He's generally regarded as an antiquated clown these days, but he does still get some respect from the "old time hockey" crowd.

I share some of his opinions about the softening of the game over the last decade or so... but his take on European players has always been off base. His taste in clothing has always been comical at best, sad/tragical at worst.

What about the redline offside, he wants that back if I understand it correctly? Has the elimination of it made the game better or worse?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Sergachev rush was a beauty. Kids a beast. That being said tho, it may have more to do with the Canucks (Travis green) strategy away from the puck. This is the 3rd or 4th time a player has gone coast to coast on us this year. It makes our D look like turn styles but it’s actually more the forwards fault. The forwards job is not necessarily to take the puck away but to slow the puck carrier down and get in his lane. Our forwards aren’t doing that leaving our defenders pretty much flat footed to defend against a player coming in at full speed.

You would think Green would have seen this as it’s happened 3 times successfully and a bunch of other times that didn’t work out.

But alas , he is a terrible coach.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Sergachev rush was a beauty. Kids a beast. That being said tho, it may have more to do with the Canucks (Travis green) strategy away from the puck. This is the 3rd or 4th time a player has gone coast to coast on us this year. It makes our D look like turn styles but it’s actually more the forwards fault. The forwards job is not necessarily to take the puck away but to slow the puck carrier down and get in his lane. Our forwards aren’t doing that leaving our defenders pretty much flat footed to defend against a player coming in at full speed.

You would think Green would have seen this as it’s happened 3 times successfully and a bunch of other times that didn’t work out.

But alas , he is a terrible coach.
Look who’s back... it’s ES JC lol

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
boeser found another gear to score off the rush

sergachev looked great. amazed at how many tampa roleplayers are playing out of their minds.

canucks were outgunned but showed up and pushed back harder than expected. except for pouliot and dowd i thought everyone had moments.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is get that it's still early, but the two d-men drafted after Juolevi, Sergachev and Chychrun are grading out far better as NHL d-men.....and wouldn't surprise me if that's the way it stays.....if nothing else, the Canucks are consistent in their total inability to scout and assess d-men....and unfortunately the 2018 draft is top-heavy with d-men....so unless they get Dahlin, there's plenty to be concerned about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad