Post-Game Talk: 2/3/18 | Lightning 4 @ Canucks 2 | It's 2011 but they're the Nucks and we're the Oilers

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Great pushback in the 3rd....Credit the Canucks for not quitting...Boeser goal was a beauty,and it was good to see that enthusiasm back in the building again..

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
281sfux.jpg

Someone has a man-crush on me ..... :towel:

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Was one of the most exciting fast paced Canuck games I’ve seen all year.

Tampa seems to have a star or two on every single line, and they can all skate like the wind. Incredible team and work by Yzerman!

Loved the Canucks game, the never quit attitude. The B’s were awesome, Horvat was unlucky not to score as he was absolutely on a mission. Edler and Stecher were stalwarts on the back end and dynamic on offence.

MDZ and Virtanen were hitting everything in sight. Brock showed why he will not be stopped, great drive and goal.

And the tank rolls on!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Is get that it's still early, but the two d-men drafted after Juolevi, Sergachev and Chychrun are grading out far better as NHL d-men.....and wouldn't surprise me if that's the way it stays.....if nothing else, the Canucks are consistent in their total inability to scout and assess d-men....and unfortunately the 2018 draft is top-heavy with d-men....so unless they get Dahlin, there's plenty to be concerned about.
Charlie McAvoy's not doing badly either.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
He's generally regarded as an antiquated clown these days, but he does still get some respect from the "old time hockey" crowd.

I share some of his opinions about the softening of the game over the last decade or so... but his take on European players has always been off base. His taste in clothing has always been comical at best, sad/tragical at worst.

hmmm no. the only reason he is still around is because he is down on TO's waist line apendage every time he speaks. He is an over-the-hill embarrassment that makes the rest of Canada sad. I could go on and on about what a waste of time he is .... but i think you already figured that out.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I can't remember Cherry has been right about really anything

I like people who speak honestly and bluntly, but not when they're consistently wrong for decades.

Can be interesting to watch a Coach's Corner from time to time in the playoffs though. He's not a Canuck guy by any means but it's nice when occasionally he says nice things about us or our players in the national media. There weren't many others who would.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Don Cherry's best before date was meet and beat quite some time ago.

He's like the nation's drunken, racist uncle who shows up at family gatherings his fifth scotch on the rocks by 3:30 and sits in the corner ranting about minorities whenever someone makes eye contact for more than a split second.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I had to really look but....

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/why-don-cherry-wants-canadians-to-speak-up-for-animals-1.3093026

There's a little bit of good even in the worst of us....except for Jimson Hogarth obviously.:naughty:

People far far more right wing than Cherry are advocates for animals. It takes a special kind of person to want to hurt animals. We might all eat meat, it's nature, but there is a line that only sickos cross. Glad he's speaking up about it though, I respect everyone who speaks up for animals unless they're nutters about it (see PETA)

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
People far far more right wing than Cherry are advocates for animals. It takes a special kind of person to want to hurt animals. We might all eat meat, it's nature, but there is a line that only sickos cross. Glad he's speaking up about it though, I respect everyone who speaks up for animals unless they're nutters about it (see PETA)
When technically speaking, David Booth is both a left and right winger.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Horvat's presence impacted the team in a big way, we still lost but I like how the team didnt just roll over and quit. Unlike Mr 300 games, Bo actually leads by example and keeps his mouth shut. Cant wait till the next era of the team.
By that I mean i can't wait till jim gets the boot

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
People say the Canucks don't know what they are doing. I think the fans here don't know what they want.
After a win they are all pissed off because it hurts 'the tank'. After a loss it's all confirmation bias that all of their armchair gm-ing was right.

This was a great game to watch.

Tampa is an incredible team. They are indeed like we were in 2011. We showed a lot of resilience in coming back and alot of that is a kudos to Travis Green. I really like what I have seen from him, his in game line adjustments make sense to me. You can see that the players respect him.

He's like night and day from Willy.

Stamkos said after the game that he didn't think they deserved the game and Vasilevsky deserves the Hart.

The Canucks played, for the most part, as well as you can hope. We were outclassed. It happens, the game ebbs and flows. We are on the upswing now.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams

He's like the nation's drunken, racist uncle who shows up at family gatherings his fifth scotch on the rocks by 3:30 and sits in the corner ranting about minorities whenever someone makes eye contact for more than a split second.
He's that guy who did not vote for Trump. but defends anyone who did cuz .... rambles off incoherently mentioning something about Clinton and Fake news.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Racist..no....Redneck..yes

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
People say the Canucks don't know what they are doing. I think the fans here don't know what they want.
After a win they are all pissed off because it hurts 'the tank'. After a loss it's all confirmation bias that all of their armchair gm-ing was right.

This was a great game to watch.

Tampa is an incredible team. They are indeed like we were in 2011. We showed a lot of resilience in coming back and alot of that is a kudos to Travis Green. I really like what I have seen from him, his in game line adjustments make sense to me. You can see that the players respect him.

He's like night and day from Willy.

Stamkos said after the game that he didn't think they deserved the game and Vasilevsky deserves the Hart.

The Canucks played, for the most part, as well as you can hope. We were outclassed. It happens, the game ebbs and flows. We are on the upswing now.

Did you. miss the memo? We want to lose with Bo and Boeser scoring.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Did you. miss the memo? We want to lose with Bo and Boeser scoring.
And yet Boeser scored, we lost, and I see a bunch of confirmation bias type posts about how bad we are and what a waste of time it was to watch.

A big part of the problem is that many folks on here became fans in 2011. They feel owed a Stanley Cup, and they don't understand that this franchise may literally never have a regular season as dominant as that one. Many haven't.

We are one of 31 teams. It is mentally healthier to find something to enjoy even when times aren't great, rather than nitpicking and "I told you so-ing" constantly.

I'm not saying people should be pollyannaish, but Christ has this website devolved into toxic negativity.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
And yet Boeser scored, we lost, and I see a bunch of confirmation bias type posts about how bad we are and what a waste of time it was to watch.

A big part of the problem is that many folks on here became fans in 2011. They feel owed a Stanley Cup, and they don't understand that this franchise may literally never have a regular season as dominant as that one. Many haven't.

We are one of 31 teams. It is mentally healthier to find something to enjoy even when times aren't great, rather than nitpicking and "I told you so-ing" constantly.

I'm not saying people should be pollyannaish, but Christ has this website devolved into toxic negativity.

Maybe that’s their therapy? I enjoy the tank-thread discussion because it turns all the losing into a positive.

Maybe that’s all the venting in the GDT is as well. Doesn’t seem all that “unhealthy” to me.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Maybe that’s their therapy? I enjoy the tank-thread discussion because it turns all the losing into a positive.

Maybe that’s all the venting in the GDT is as well. Doesn’t seem all that “unhealthy” to me.

The tank talk completely loses me. I totally get that if you're 60 games into a hopeless year, it makes sense to sell off vets and give youngsters ice time. If you lose in the process, that's a nice little byproduct. But for those who want to just throw in the towel for 5 years, I always wonder two things:

1. Have they ever played serious team sports?

2. Do they know how corrosive that kind of environment can be to a team (look at Buffalo).

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The tank talk completely loses me. I totally get that if you're 60 games into a hopeless year, it makes sense to sell off vets and give youngsters ice time. If you lose in the process, that's a nice little byproduct. But for those who want to just throw in the towel for 5 years, I always wonder two things:

1. Have they ever played serious team sports?

2. Do they know how corrosive that kind of environment can be to a team (look at Buffalo).

1. Many probably have. Seems silly to draw parallels between rec sports and pro sports though. They are night and day and any attempt to illustrate the pro world using your experience in bantam is just going to lead to erroneous conclusions.

2. No and neither do you unless you are actually on those teams yourself (see Point 1).

Bad teams get better all the time. If you’re arguing that losing “locks in” more losing then you’ll have to refute dozens of examples that show that isn’t so. You can start with Colorado, New Jersey, and Winnipeg from last year alone. Then proceed to Columbus, Toronto, and Edmonton from the season before. I can list more if you like.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Yeah because we are bad. What do you expect people to say? You can be happy about the loss and at the same time comment that this team is horrible.
Yeah I watched that game, hell I watched almost every game and the quality is dog crap. Only reason I watch it is because I am a die hard and if you are not, I don’t understand why you would watch it because the entertainment value is so damn low.

My loyalty somehow forces me to watch it and at the same time I feel this insane anger that the team I love has been mismanaged to the point where we are just bad because we are bad. Where are the futures? Why are we playing vets and not letting Goldy play? Like everything about this team is f***ing messed up. And you are going to give shit to the fans who actually are die hard enough to will themselves through this awful crap?

Reactions: sunnyvale420

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Despite not wanting to come across as pollyannaish, what you are asking for is essentially a form of confirmation bias in itself. As a fan, you want the team to do well and to be looked upon favorably, and when it isn't, you want to look for ways to focus on positives even when this isn't actually reflective of the state of the team.

It isn't any more healthy to ask that people delude themselves and pretend the negative aspects don't exist in order to have a sunnier disposition.

If the state of the team calls for negativity, then we should all be realists and grown-ups about that and be appropriately negative about the team. It's only toxic in the sense that you're allowing something true to offend or frustrate you when there's no reason that it should. We aren't owed a positive and pleasant environment any more than fans are owed a team that doesn't stink.

And honestly, dismissing the negativity and displeasure by baseless-ly spinning a narrative about how people primarily feel this way because they've taken blah-blah-blah for granted and hopped on a bandwagon when the going was good, really does the opposite of encourage healthy discussion.

Perhaps it's healthier to just allow people to be appropriately upset and cynical and realize that it isn't the end of the world that they are.

The only thing that makes this place toxic is unfairness, narrative spinning, and irrationality. That's it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad