Post-Game Talk: 2/28/18 | Rangers 6 @ Canucks 5 (OT)

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
That was awesome entertainment, Leipsic looks like a good.

One thing that really bothers me with this team is the lack of support the d-men have from the forwards who break really early up ice in transition. This forces a lot of long passes from the d-men that opposition teams key in on creating way too many turnovers. A perfect example of this was the Hutton pass to Horvat standing on the right boards by the blueline that was disrupted and turned into a good scoring chance against (3rd period 11:22). Two forwards were on the forecheck cutting off the return pass to Pouliot and Leipsic is way over on the far boards with the net in between him and Hutton. Horvat is the only option as far as I can tell from the TV view and so predictably the rangers swoop in on him.

Green made it clear at the beginning of the year that he wanted to play a faster game and that quick transitions to counter attack are part of that, but they need to support the d-men better. This sort of play has happened a lot this season. Nearly all of the d-men on this team are pretty decent in transition, but this is just leaving them too much to do.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I wonder if Goldobin stays up for the duration.?.He scored a beauty goal,and then on cue had a brutal giveaway which conceded a goal...Green benched him for the rest of the game.

KHL bound next year?

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
LAOrUkQ.jpg

Sorry M2B, seems we have a new GOAT poster.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Loosely played obviously but I guess mostly a fun game. Canucks deserved a point (although I didn't want one) and Lundquist deserved the victory.

Good

Boeser - looks like he is getting a second life after looking a little tired the last while. You wonder about the wrist being heavily taped and hope it isn't going to lead to long term problems. Hopefully team medical staff is on top of this.

Horvat - best effort in awhile. Got to look at the competition but it was Horvat who brought the team back into the game. At times he can personally turn games around. Really good in this game and probably the first star

Leipsic - there were times he was cutting through lanes and jamming up the play as he got use to his new linemates. Kind of his history as he is a bit of free lancer and roamer. However, he sees the ice well and in this game showed he could create offense. No doubt he has game but still needs to prove he can put away chances (something he has not shown in the NHL yet) and be disciplined defensively. Plays like this and he is ATM solidly in Canucks top 9.

Not So Good

Markstrom - one step forward, one step backwards. Just not ready to play at times. Not totally at fault for the bad start but getting him out of there helped turn the game around. The contrast with Lundquist was very evident tonight. Did not like Nilsson much either.

Sutter - poor game. Doing next to nothing. Keeps it up and needs to be sat.

Others

Goldobin - thought it was one of his better efforts. Did get in along the boards and battled better. Also at times showed off his uncanny ability to see the ice and spot open men. However, still has the tendency to make overly quick and overly cute passes that put his team mates in trouble. He is a lot like Virtanen in this regard. Both tend to do things at hair trigger speed. It illustrates their immaturity .The Canucks need to allow these players to grow and gain that bit of timing and confidence to manage the puck better. In this way, this liability will become an asset. Not all have the ability to make the plays so quickly and if that can become more refined in doing this they will supply offensive chances. Right now I, and I think most fans, are quite willing to live with their mistakes and let them develop. Goldobin should have been out on the 5 on 3.

Motte - skates a ton like Milano - feet barely touch the ice. Can really fly around. However, you do wonder how solid he is on his skates and whether he'll end up getting bumped around. Got some nice pressure on the PK and on the fore check. Not bad in his initial game.

Baertschi - you wonder where he fits in. If he is not in your top 6 (especially after the draft next year) then he looks expendable. Doesn't appear to be able to create offense on his own. Right now you have to wonder about up-side. Might end up being just a stop gap in the teams development. Always felt he might end up being trade bait. Maybe at the draft this summer.

Sedins - Daniel has to be one of the hottest players in the League. Neither looks ready for retirement. Work on PP remains excellent. However, giving up lot defensively.

Hutton - again huge problems along his end boards. Not getting to the puck quick enough and not getting body position along the boards. Is fundamentally weak on defense and puck watches and let players easily slip in behind him. . He did have a better game supporting the play up ice and him and Pouliot not the disaster you would assume they would be. Actually, after miserable stretch, Pouliot looks to have more of chance of becoming a lower end NHL player.

Thought Namestinikov was very good. Too bad we can't trade for players like this. And how deep was and is Tampa Bay?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I thought Hutton was pretty solid. He makes a lot of subtle nice plays that I think people tend to overlook since he does tend to make 1-2 plays that make you shake your head during some games.

Overall, I feel like he does more good than bad.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
The Canucks outshot the Rangers 55-27 tonight. It was a high-tempo, exciting game with two new additions who add elements that this roster severely lacked.

Canucks, Rangers play awesome inconsequential NHL regular-season game - Sportsnet.ca
Canucks, Rangers play awesome inconsequential NHL regular-season game
Iain MacIntyre
@imacSportsnet March 1, 2018, 2:08 AM

VANCOUVER – The Vancouver Canucks and New York Rangers, two teams unburdened by expectations and uncluttered by veterans, played a game without consequence on Wednesday night. And it was awesome.

The Canucks dominated territorially and fired 55 shots on veteran New York goalie Henrik Lundqvist, who may be the loneliest man in Manhattan after Rangers management announced three weeks ago the organization was quitting on this season, then began to dismantle the team.

The best Canuck may have been Brendan Leipsic, the former junior dynamo who went from the Toronto Maple Leafs to the Vegas Golden Knights in the expansion draft, played on the fourth line in Nevada and Wednesday, at age 23, found himself on Vancouver’s first line after joining his fourth NHL organization two days earlier.

Acquired at the trade deadline for minor-league defenceman Philip Holm, Leipsic logged a season-high 17:49 of ice time, led the Canucks with seven shots on net, set up Brock Boeser’s beautiful tying goal with 46 seconds remaining in regulation time and nearly won it in overtime with a dash down the right wing.

“This has got to be it,” Leipsic said of another chance to prove he belongs in the NHL. “These opportunities don’t come around every day, especially playing with two guys like this in an organization like this. I got to play in Canada once and the opportunity has come around again. I’m just trying to make the most of it.

“Bo [Horvat] is a big guy and holds the puck down low, and Brock’s the guy who finds holes, so I’ll try to get him the puck. We haven’t even had a practice yet, so we can build off this.

Boeser scored twice, pushing his rookie goals total to 29, and Horvat had a goal and two assists in 22:38 of ice time. The new first line combined for 18 shots on goal. The Rangers team had 27.

“He was awesome tonight,” Horvat said of Leipsic. “He makes plays out there, he skates, moves the puck well. I remember playing against him at the Memorial Cup. Such great speed, such high skill. He adds a great element to our lineup.

Eriksson, Gaunce, Granlund, and Dowd -- passive, two-way forwards -- all seem expendable.

Today's forward lines: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXK7TQyUMAAFfxZ.jpg:large

Daniel-Henrik-Goldobin
Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Archibald-Sutter-Motte
Baertschi-Gagner-Virtanen

With Gaudette and Pettersson slated to compete for roster spots next season, there won't be space for everyone.

Last edited:

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Been around forever? He's been in the AHL for two seasons. You must've really thought Cory Schneider was a bust.

No, what I'm saying is he's halfway to being 23 years old. And after years of hype as a "Blue Chipper" is now almost "Post-prospect" age.

He hasn't played a single game. Why?

I don't expect that he'll be a better goaltender at 24 than he is now.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
That was awesome entertainment, Leipsic looks like a good.

One thing that really bothers me with this team is the lack of support the d-men have from the forwards who break really early up ice in transition. This forces a lot of long passes from the d-men that opposition teams key in on creating way too many turnovers. A perfect example of this was the Hutton pass to Horvat standing on the right boards by the blueline that was disrupted and turned into a good scoring chance against (3rd period 11:22). Two forwards were on the forecheck cutting off the return pass to Pouliot and Leipsic is way over on the far boards with the net in between him and Hutton. Horvat is the only option as far as I can tell from the TV view and so predictably the rangers swoop in on him.

Green made it clear at the beginning of the year that he wanted to play a faster game and that quick transitions to counter attack are part of that, but they need to support the d-men better. This sort of play has happened a lot this season. Nearly all of the d-men on this team are pretty decent in transition, but this is just leaving them too much to do.
That specific example happened because Horvat was gassed and going for a line change. Then Hutton threw it at him at the blueline before he was able to change. They weren't trying to break out there. Hutton should've moved the puck out faster rather than looking for a play, just lob the puck out of zone if you can't find a pass quickly. The other forward (Leipsic?) probably should've rotated from the far side to the middle in order to help out Hutton after realizing the pass Pouliot wasn't going to happen, but I think he was gassed too.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
No, what I'm saying is he's halfway to being 23 years old. And after years of hype as a "Blue Chipper" is now almost "Post-prospect" age.

He hasn't played a single game. Why?

I don't expect that he'll be a better goaltender at 24 than he is now.

Pretty standard though for a college goalie.

Schneider wasn't given the back-up role until he was 24. Hellebyuck was Demko's age now when he first saw an NHL game, and Winnipeg's goal was a shit-show then (he didn't come good until this year, his 24th, either).

Pretty much every goaltender in the league was better at 23/24 than they were at 21/22 with rare exception.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Random tidbits

- Boeser surpassed last year's points leader (Horvat, 52)
- Daniel tied his point total for last year.
- Markstrom got yanked for the (I believe) 3rd time in 102 starts as a Canuck.
- Henrik hasn't scored a goal since November 14, a 46-game stretch that might be a team record for a forward meeting some standard of icetime.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Nice to see the new guys had a good opener. If sticks we def dont need the Sedins next year:

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
PBP Gaudette Vanek
Liefsic Sutter Virtanen
Goldy Gaunce Clamato
Eriksson Gagner

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Eriksson, Gaunce, Granlund, and Dowd -- passive, two-way forwards -- all seem expendable.

Today's forward lines: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXK7TQyUMAAFfxZ.jpg:large

Daniel-Henrik-Goldobin
Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Archibald-Sutter-Motte
Baertschi-Gagner-Virtanen

With Gaudette and Pettersson slated to compete for roster spots next season, there won't be space for everyone.
Yeah I really don't mind this roster. Eriksson, Granlund, Gagner really get my goat they take up an entire line of space in that bottom 6 from young guys. This line-up isn't great, but you can see guys who are filling who get moved around when our younger players move into the lineup. Having those other guys in the lineup is just a blockage for guys who simply aren't that good

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
My thoughts on last nights Opera

Mike Gillis inherited Pizane Luongo and Corey Schneider

Jim Benning inherited Markstrom and Lack (but hey JimBro got a 3rd and a 7th for that washed up bum - Lack! Thanks Mike!)

But thankfully JimBro Benning drafted Thatcher Demko and DiPietro. Future looks bright. If memory serves, Gillis drafted Pizane Cannata in his 6 years at the helm

So yeah, after last nights debacle, goaltending matters

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I feel like I'm the only person who still likes Baertschi.

I have absolutely no problem cheaply having him in the middle six. I sure as hell don't think he's a liability and I believe you can win with him in the right situation.

But if you can get an offer like the Tatar one, you get rid of him.

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Loosely played obviously but I guess mostly a fun game. Canucks deserved a point (although I didn't want one) and Lundquist deserved the victory.

Good

Boeser - looks like he is getting a second life after looking a little tired the last while. You wonder about the wrist being heavily taped and hope it isn't going to lead to long term problems. Hopefully team medical staff is on top of this.

Horvat - best effort in awhile. Got to look at the competition but it was Horvat who brought the team back into the game. At times he can personally turn games around. Really good in this game and probably the first star

Leipsic - there were times he was cutting through lanes and jamming up the play as he got use to his new linemates. Kind of his history as he is a bit of free lancer and roamer. However, he sees the ice well and in this game showed he could create offense. No doubt he has game but still needs to prove he can put away chances (something he has not shown in the NHL yet) and be disciplined defensively. Plays like this and he is ATM solidly in Canucks top 9.

Not So Good

Markstrom - one step forward, one step backwards. Just not ready to play at times. Not totally at fault for the bad start but getting him out of there helped turn the game around. The contrast with Lundquist was very evident tonight. Did not like Nilsson much either.

Sutter - poor game. Doing next to nothing. Keeps it up and needs to be sat.

Others

Goldobin - thought it was one of his better efforts. Did get in along the boards and battled better. Also at times showed off his uncanny ability to see the ice and spot open men. However, still has the tendency to make overly quick and overly cute passes that put his team mates in trouble. He is a lot like Virtanen in this regard. Both tend to do things at hair trigger speed. It illustrates their immaturity .The Canucks need to allow these players to grow and gain that bit of timing and confidence to manage the puck better. In this way, this liability will become an asset. Not all have the ability to make the plays so quickly and if that can become more refined in doing this they will supply offensive chances. Right now I, and I think most fans, are quite willing to live with their mistakes and let them develop. Goldobin should have been out on the 5 on 3.

Motte - skates a ton like Milano - feet barely touch the ice. Can really fly around. However, you do wonder how solid he is on his skates and whether he'll end up getting bumped around. Got some nice pressure on the PK and on the fore check. Not bad in his initial game.

Baertschi - you wonder where he fits in. If he is not in your top 6 (especially after the draft next year) then he looks expendable. Doesn't appear to be able to create offense on his own. Right now you have to wonder about up-side. Might end up being just a stop gap in the teams development. Always felt he might end up being trade bait. Maybe at the draft this summer.

Sedins - Daniel has to be one of the hottest players in the League. Neither looks ready for retirement. Work on PP remains excellent. However, giving up lot defensively.

Hutton - again huge problems along his end boards. Not getting to the puck quick enough and not getting body position along the boards. Is fundamentally weak on defense and puck watches and let players easily slip in behind him. . He did have a better game supporting the play up ice and him and Pouliot not the disaster you would assume they would be. Actually, after miserable stretch, Pouliot looks to have more of chance of becoming a lower end NHL player.

Thought Namestinikov was very good. Too bad we can't trade for players like this. And how deep was and is Tampa Bay?

If Leipsic can stick on the Bo/Brock line, I hope Green plays Baertschi next to Pettersson next season. Pettersson needs someone skilled to play with, and there really isn't a better option.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
With all these lineups being suggested here for next year, don't forget that there is a good possibility we will also have Kane, and will re-sign the Sedins. Something has to give.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Since the lockout, I believe Daniel has scored 20 or more goals in 10 of the last 13 seasons.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
If the Canucks continue to play games like last night, win or lose, the bandwagon will begin to fill up again.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Team was like this earlier in the season I have to admit (entertaining at least to watch).
Yes, it was and there was clearly enthusiasm building but then all the injuries hit. Losing Dorset didn’t help either.
Hoping for more entertainment, pretty bleak being a Canuck fan these days.

Reactions: Hit the post

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
How did we get this for Holm??? Why was the market so low on him? I'm hoping it's not just adrenaline. I remember Steve Bernie's first game...

I thought new young players had to sit about a month, to learn the "system".

Then they get about half a season of 6 minutes TOI on the 4th line, to "earn" their place.

What's going on here?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That was a FUN game to watch... thoroughly entertained.

Sedins were fun to watch... You can see Daniel is playing with a lot of confidence right now... they gotta avoid those seemingly once a game high turnovers.
Horvat - What's not to love? When he plays the game with his feet moving like that, they scoop up so many loose pucks. Sick vision and execution of the pass on the Boeser goal.
Leipsic - great debut. His speed combined with Horvat's, kept possession alive. What a look on the Boeser goal. Vegas really did get an embarrassment of middle 6 players thru the expansion draft. Nice to be able to take advantage.
Boeser.. what a handle on the game tying snipe. That was seriously impressive. Thought it was one of his weaker games away from the puck in the first half of the game, but that line came along beautifully and Boeser delivers where and when it mattered... two beauties.
Gagner line - deserved results... That line (47-89-18) in the final couple periods won so many races to puck, 50/50 pucks etc.. earned themselves so many chances. I wasn't happy with Baertschi in the in the first period, but zero problems the final 40. Same with Virtanen - he had a couple hot potato handles of the puck which I felt kinda cemented his ice time... Like 47, definitely improved as the game went on.
Sutter line - First game I thought screamed Archibald isn't an NHLer. Sutter skated miles... puck died with Archibald. Wonder if Dowd should get in at his expense next game.
Motte with an impressive debut... but he impressed more individually on the forecheck, disrupting the rangers, and most obviously looked reliable on the PK. Like his speed and tenacity despite his size. - you know who he completely reminded me of... Jannik Hansen at the same age. 1st game tho.. we'll what he looks like when his Adrenalin isn't there.
Edler was a beast - as per usual So many great subtle plays with the puck and just knows exactly where he needs to be all the time. Gudbranson with a couple good games since the laugher vs Vegas.
Stecher was ok. Del Zotto ok.
Really like how Hutton looked in this one again. I've felt good about him post game in a handful of recent games.
Goldy... He continues to flash his skill. Really optimistic about him. Felt so bad for him on that turnover... Keep pumping him out there, I think he's gaining some shift to shift consistency. Big turnovers leading to a goal against will wipe that from memory... but still...

And finally... Last, but not and least... Goaltending : No Comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad