Post-Game Talk: 2/28/18 | Rangers 6 @ Canucks 5 (OT)

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
If Leipsic can stick on the Bo/Brock line, I hope Green plays Baertschi next to Pettersson next season. Pettersson needs someone skilled to play with, and there really isn't a better option.

Wouldn't mind seeing this. This line would need a mucker with them though.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
No, what I'm saying is he's halfway to being 23 years old. And after years of hype as a "Blue Chipper" is now almost "Post-prospect" age.

He hasn't played a single game. Why?

I don't expect that he'll be a better goaltender at 24 than he is now.

You realize Schneider was drafted higher, right? Demko is on the exact same path as Schneider was, and doing just as good, if not better. 23 years old is very young for a goalie considering how long they play for.

There has been no reason to play him for a single game - what is the point? One game of experience defines his NHL career and development? Besides, we've had Miller and now seeing what Markstrom/Nilsson can do. Demko should be here next year, but who knows because Benning signed Nilsson for 2 years.

There's no point playing him in garbage games right now - Utica needs him, and him going on a run there is far better than whatever garbage games you want him in here for.

Perfect example of impatience - not every goalie has the development linear to Matt Murray. Why aren't Samsonov/Sorokin/Shestyorkin/etc in the NHL? I don't know, maybe because they are developing like Demko is? Hard to believe, I know.

Reactions: Index

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Granlund, Dowd, Guance...we have some deadweight to offload to make room for everyone next season.

Interested to see what trades Benning does to do this.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Just wanted to point out that that rookie who doesn't get ES points now has 6 ES points in his last 12 games (and 10 points overall). Much of that with a clear wrist injury. He ranks 70th amongst forwards for ES points. How awful.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
If Leipsic can stick on the Bo/Brock line, I hope Green plays Baertschi next to Pettersson next season. Pettersson needs someone skilled to play with, and there really isn't a better option.

If we had the version of Loui Eriksson from Boston (his last year especially) or during his Dallas days, we would've had a special 2nd line of Baertschi-Petersson-Eriksson to take off pressure from Horvat's line. but alas we get the useless non-motivated slow injury proned 4th line hack version of him.

Right now
For the future I'd like to see

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Petersson-X

Also wouldn't mind seeing a mature polished Petersson replacing Horvat on the top line.

You'll also have Dahlen, Goldobin, Gaudette (I believe he will sign), Lind, fighting for spots.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
If we had the version of Loui Eriksson from Boston (his last year especially) or during his Dallas days, we would've had a special 2nd line of Baertschi-Petersson-Eriksson to take off pressure from Horvat's line. but alas we get the useless non-motivated slow injury proned 4th line hack version of him.

Right now
For the future I'd like to see

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Petersson-X

Also wouldn't mind seeing a mature polished Petersson replacing Horvat on the top line.

You'll also have Dahlen, Goldobin, Gaudette (I believe he will sign), Lind, fighting for spots.

I see Pettersson as the #1 center and Horvat as the #2 as well, but if Leipsic/Bo/Brock continue to have great chemistry, it would really be difficult to break them up. I'd like to see that line stick together and Pettersson with two of the aforementioned prospects or someone brought in through trade.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Just wanted to point out that that rookie who doesn't get ES points now has 6 ES points in his last 12 games (and 10 points overall). Much of that with a clear wrist injury. He ranks 70th amongst forwards for ES points. How awful.

He has the most ESP on the Canucks, yet Johnny Canucker is all over Boeser for some reason. It's beyond hilarious, terrible executed hatred on Boeser - for whatever reason.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Gaunce is outperforming Sutter this year at a fraction of the cost.

Gaunce should be a long term fixture on the teams bottom 6.
He really isnt outperforming Sutter. Has he been used in a shutdown role this year. Nice he finally scored but he has stilled struggled for large parts of the season. Sutter can play against anyone 5 on 5 Gaunce has not proven that yet. Hope he does but he has a long ways to go.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
He really isnt outperforming Sutter. Has he been used in a shutdown role this year. Nice he finally scored but he has stilled struggled for large parts of the season. Sutter can play against anyone 5 on 5 Gaunce has not proven that yet. Hope he does but he has a long ways to go.
Can you provide you know any metrics to back your claims up?

Gaunce is playing in harder deployment and is producing significantly better possession results.

How exactly is he struggling, based on what exactly? He’s playing in the hardest deployment in the NHL and his results are fantastic based on that.

Create an argument

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Wrong.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
young goalies are never ready

there will be growing pains in the NHL but that's a good thing as we are nowhere near playoff contention

demko is still the best goalie prospect in my eyes

I read this post this evening while watching the Pittsburgh/Boston fiasco. Thought I'd share what I have gathered from the Vancouver brain trust and Cory Schneider.

I think the Canucks plan to grow Thatcher just like Schneider was grown and Cory has personally stated he hopes they do.

Cory - 3 seasons at NCAA Boston College
Thatcher - 3 seasons at NCAA Boston College

Cory - 1st 2 pro 2 seasons in AHL Manitoba
(21 yrs-old) yr 1 - 36 GP
yr 2 - 40 GP

Thatcher - 1st 2 pro seasons in AHL Utica
(20 and turned 21 yrs-old in December) yr 1 - 45 GP
yr 2 - 34 GP with 19 games remaining.

Cory - 3rd yr pro full season in AHL Manitoba and 2 NHL starts.

Yr 4 ('10-11) - backup role in Vancouver, 25 GP
'11-12 - 33 GP Vancouver
'12-13 - lockout year and 30 GP Vancouver

'13-14 - Traded to NJ and shared the season with Marty Brodeur, 46 GP
'14-15 - NJ #1

They have planned it the same way. Nilsson has 1 season left on his contract.
Markstrom has 2.
They have it set for Demko to take over sole possession of #1 in Utica, '18-19. His 3rd pro season.
Bachman's contract ends this year.

Then he backs up/shares in Vancouver in '19-20.
If all went well he takes over in '20-21. He would be 25. If not he backs up another season. Cory did not take over as #1 in NJ until 28.

That was the plan. They might stick to it while biding the time with another space saver and get rid of Nilsson/Markstrom (I think it will be Nilsson). If the new space saver takes the #1 over so be it and Demko proceeds as planned backing up/sharing with him in '19-20.

Demko is the last player they have that they want to risk bringing on too soon. He is the future and they want to be extremely careful with his progression. Waivers don't apply until the 2020-21 season.

(I don't think I ****ed up any of the numbers above.)

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012

Gaunce is playing in harder deployment and is producing significantly better possession results.

How exactly is he struggling, based on what exactly? He’s playing in the hardest deployment in the NHL and his results are fantastic based on that.

Create an argument

Gaunce: D zone starts at 86.7%(!!) , relative Corsi for -6.1%, PDO 97.6. 23 turning 24, $750,000
Sutter: D zone starts at 75.1%, relative Corsi for -8.0, PDO 101.1, just turned 29, $4,375,000.

I haven't hated Sutter as much this year, but it's clear he is significantly overpaid for what he brings, especially relative to Gaunce. Gaunce is the f***ing man. The points will come as he's been incredibly unlucky throughout his career. It's actually quite fascinating.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Gaunce has literally played the toughest minutes in the NHL this year. And killed it in those minutes.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Yeah I'm a Gaunce fan. He's playing his role on this team perfectly. He will continue to get better all around. I'd definitely like to keep him around as a bottom 6 fixture for a long time.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009

Create an argument
Don't expect an response from him... at least not one that provies any factual information.

We would be smart to move Sutter for a pick even if it means retaining some portion of his contract. It would allow us to give younger players an opportunity.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Gaunce: D zone starts at 86.7%(!!) , relative Corsi for -6.1%, PDO 97.6. 23 turning 24, $750,000
Sutter: D zone starts at 75.1%, relative Corsi for -8.0, PDO 101.1, just turned 29, $4,375,000.

I haven't hated Sutter as much this year, but it's clear he is significantly overpaid for what he brings, especially relative to Gaunce. Gaunce is the ****ing man. The points will come as he's been incredibly unlucky throughout his career. It's actually quite fascinating.
Actually Gaunces CFRel is even better than that it’s actually only -.7 which is absolutely incredible for a player playing in his deployment.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Actually Gaunces CFRel is even better than that it’s actually only -.7 which is absolutely incredible for a player playing in his deployment.
Really? Where are you getting those numbers from? That's ridiculous... I'm curious to see what his quality of competition is too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad