Post-Game Talk: 2-1 Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
Jets are trending upwards, tendies pushing each other, and these low scoring games are exactly what we need. We need ugly wins, and a point will do. Goals will come. I liked our game in these last two games. That Buff play in OT was unacceptable, I would love to be in the room after the game to see if he owned it, cause he blew that play big time. But Jets have not played there best yet, but are in a playoff spot with games in hand, bottom six will be quite a bit better when Lowry and MP return. This team is headed in the right direction folks.

The NHL season is long distance race and not a sprint to the wire. We need our defensive foundation to be strong and this will allow us to be in almost every game we play. Clearly the offence is sputtering right now and the power play does really suck at the moment but these things can turn around rather quickly. I am not getting too alarmed because we do have the talent up front (even without significant contributions from the bottom two lines) to score enough goals to win games as long as our defensive game and goal tending continue to be solid. I think the team is still in the process of discovering their identity given that their has been an increased focus on playing solid defensively. I am feeling way better about this team than I was after the first two games of the season thats for sure.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Amazing how with all the "events" that occurred on the OT goal (and there were plenty) that Buff alone gets singled out as the fall guy. Every player on the ice is guilty of a mistake(s) on that play including the goaltender
Buff was the only error based on laziness or a lackadaisical attitude. No player is mistake-free, but it's unacceptable for a team leader to loaf it in OT in a hard-fought game.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The PK was not good unless you are just being results-oriented. If you look at the "process" the PK was bad. It hung on for dear life, it's only a matter of time before the floodgates open on the PK. Can't bleed that many shots and give up that much zone time and expect to be an average or above PK in today's NHL. PK over the last 2 games is just a tad over 100 FA/60 comparing it against other teams in the league that is 30th place in the league (exactly where the Jets rank season to date in giving up unblocked shots). League median PK is 78 FA/60. That cannot be considered good by any stretch of the imagination.

That's giving the Jets too much credit. They are not turning into anything, that game you saw another team dominate the Jets to which the Jets had no answer. Grinding teams atleast do what they are trying to do intentionally
If you read my post more carefully you would know that I was praising the CBJ PK, not the Jets'.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
AMAZING isnt it... PoMo flat out refuses to spread out the offensive talent to create a top 9 instead of a top 6 but when it comes to the PP hes more than willing to spread out the talent and create 2 lines when he should be stacking 1.

This is yet another example of the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" treatment Maurice often gets around here. He stacks his top lines, but that's wrong. He doesn't stack his PP, but that's wrong. If he changes things up, he's skewered for line juggling and destroying chemistry. But if he sticks with his lines, he's skewered after every bad game.

We just played 2 low scoring games. If our offense had been spread out the way people suggest, they'd be screaming for his head for diluting the offensive lines. I guarantee it.

There are some valid Maurice critiques. But about 90% of it is aggravating noise.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes! Plus he is very creative and quick. He creates a ton of space and he can set up one of the best shots in the NHL. We really need to go all in on PP1. We are diluting the talent there imo.

Gotta make sure PP2 is good too, y'know. Oh wait. If PP1 could just score PP2 never need see the ice. Well, not never - but less. :laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This is yet another example of the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" treatment Maurice often gets around here. He stacks his top lines, but that's wrong. He doesn't stack his PP, but that's wrong. If he changes things up, he's skewered for line juggling and destroying chemistry. But if he sticks with his lines, he's skewered after every bad game.

We just played 2 low scoring games. If our offense had been spread out the way people suggest, they'd be screaming for his head for diluting the offensive lines. I guarantee it.

There are some valid Maurice critiques. But about 90% of it is aggravating noise.

As per John Torterella:
"Oh, I found some lines," Tortorella said. "I found some lines tonight. By the third time I changed them, yeah, I found some lines. You can get criticized for changing lines. I'm not going to sit there and watch us play and watch lines struggle to make plays or over-pass, or a number of different things that go on. I found some lines, though, tonight. That second half of that game, I liked what I saw, at least on three of the lines."

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
so he got the blender out. no one would criticize Maurice if he did that.

Nothing Maurice does goes without criticism. He could do one thing today and be criticized for it, do the opposite tomorrow and also be criticized for it.

All problems are entirely because of Maurice and all successes are despite him.

Did I get it right? :sarcasm:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Ehlers doesn't do offensive board work. Schiefele is average also.

If ehlers enters the zone with speed, like he can, and sets up scheif and Laine, then no one has to do board work.

That line to me, isn’t a cycle and grind along the boards line, they are an enter the zone and dominate line.

Not everyone has to be a line and play driver. You need all parts to mesh to make a great line. Not every player needs to be a 200 foot defensive juggernaut.

I’d like Laine to get better at certain aspects of his game, but where he is now, he needs line mates that can enter the zone and get the puck to him in the open.

Laine using that shot is only going to help the team win games.

Reactions: 204hockey

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Nothing Maurice does goes without criticism. He could do one thing today and be criticized for it, do the opposite tomorrow and also be criticized for it.

Nope

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Not bad... Points deducted for failure to take a side swipe at Chevy.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
When a coach gets the most out of his team, there will be less criticism. The only player currently having their "most" exercised consistently is the backup goalie. When a team performs at their best, you see momentum - winning streaks, players going on hot streaks, etc. the Jets don't seem to build momentum, or even build off previous seasons.

It's fair for fans to have higher expectations. Especially given teams like Vegas and Jersey that are out performing the Jets with much less to work with.

It's unfair for fans to say "do this and it will work and if Maurice doesn't, he's an idiot". But that's the industry.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
We didn't steal a point at all tonight. For a road game second half of back to back that's what you should expect. Fluke goal tied it up. Didn't play great but wasn't expecting us to either.

Reason we lost was the PP not scoring. So naturally this loss will be about our bottom six

Whileee

May 29, 2010
AMAZING isnt it... PoMo flat out refuses to spread out the offensive talent to create a top 9 instead of a top 6 but when it comes to the PP hes more than willing to spread out the talent and create 2 lines when he should be stacking 1.
He'll be able to do more when his #7 and #8 forwards are back (Perreault and Lowry).

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
The NHL season is long distance race and not a sprint to the wire. We need our defensive foundation to be strong and this will allow us to be in almost every game we play. Clearly the offence is sputtering right now and the power play does really suck at the moment but these things can turn around rather quickly. I am not getting too alarmed because we do have the talent up front (even without significant contributions from the bottom two lines) to score enough goals to win games as long as our defensive game and goal tending continue to be solid. I think the team is still in the process of discovering their identity given that their has been an increased focus on playing solid defensively. I am feeling way better about this team than I was after the first two games of the season thats for sure.

Dustin Byfuglien agrees with you

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Didn't get around to posting this until now:

To only score one goal with the offensive weapons we have is pathetic. Like everyone I'm gonna state the obvious and bitch about our incompetent powerplay.

Really liked Lemieux's game. Kid plays with an edge. And he was up to his usual junior and AHL antics of goading the other team into penalties. His hit in the third on Johnson to draw a penalty late in the third was a thing of beauty. Too bad are powerplay sucks so bad that it couldn't make those idiots who went after him pay.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Every coach (GM's too) gets that 'damned if you do and damned if you don't'. Thing is the PP is supposed to be stacked. That's why it is called the Power Play. The more PP1 scores the less PP2 has to even see the ice.

I expect we will see more of a top 9 as soon as MP gets back. The way Connor has played, he is not going back down. The problem right now is not that our bottom 6 can't score. It is that our stacked top 6 can't score. 0 goals from them in the last 2 games. Time for ESL (past time actually).

Reactions: FFHockey

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Thing is the PP is supposed to be stacked. That's why it is called the Power Play. The more PP1 scores the less PP2 has to even see the ice.

That seems a little simplistic. I'm not convinced by the word game argument - I could do that, too. The top line is supposed to be stacked. That's why it's called the top line! Obviously Babcock doesn't understand basic english over there in Toronto. ;)

The 2nd PP unit will usually see the weaker PK unit. So you could argue it's worthwhile to have a decent offensive threat on that line as well. It seems to me the very same arguments could be made for spreading out the offense on the PP as for creating an offensive top 9. So I disagree with those advocating for one, and not the other.

There's no doubt the PP was a gong show last game against the Jackets. But I'm not sure the problem was deployment. I'd want the coach to try to address some of the basic zone entry mistakes the team was making before juggling things up.

I expect we will see more of a top 9 as soon as MP gets back. The way Connor has played, he is not going back down. The problem right now is not that our bottom 6 can't score. It is that our stacked top 6 can't score. 0 goals from them in the last 2 games. Time for ESL (past time actually).

I agree with the many good posts lately that take a more long term view - that our defense is looking much more solid, and that's the most important thing after the trainwreck we witnessed to start the season. If there's one thing I'm not worried about with the Jets, it's scoring. The things I do worry about (goaltending, defense) are trending right. The lack of scoring could just be a short term fluke (we played against some great goalies), or a temporary adjustment period as the players are focusing on executing the D improvements.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad