Post-Game Talk: 2-1 Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Did anyone notice Byfuglien? There's pages of it in the gdt and PGT. Everyone noticed.

As for Wheeler, high sticking penalties are going to come when you're 6'5 and battling for the puck.

I'll ask a did anyone notice question...why were Little and Scheifele constantly being tossed from the circle? Sticks down first in the defensive zone, feet in position, no early motion...still tossed time and time again. I guess it's time to pull out the rule book and see what I'm missing.

Wingers can cause a face off kick out

Reactions: 204hockey

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Did anyone notice Byfuglien? There's pages of it in the gdt and PGT. Everyone noticed.

As for Wheeler, high sticking penalties are going to come when you're 6'5 and battling for the puck.

I'll ask a did anyone notice question...why were Little and Scheifele constantly being tossed from the circle? Sticks down first in the defensive zone, feet in position, no early motion...still tossed time and time again. I guess it's time to pull out the rule book and see what I'm missing.
I noticed that as well. It's like there's some sort of secret handshake that only the linesmen know. I find it almost impossible to discern how they decide when to toss someone.

Wheeler hasn't just gotten high-sticking penalties, though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We can put out maybe the most skilled forward group in the entire NHL, but we're losing games 2-1, grinding out any result, 0-fer on the pp, and relying on Herculean goaltending efforts.

You're darn right I'm not gunna be positive about this team
Pitt and CBJ can put out the most skilled forward groups in the NHL and they just ground out a couple of 2-1 OT results, thanks to Jets give-aways in OT.

The Jets can and will score. They needed to show that they can play some D, and get some decent goaltending.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Pitt and CBJ can put out the most skilled forward groups in the NHL and they just ground out a couple of 2-1 OT results, thanks to Jets give-aways in OT.

The Jets can and will score. They needed to show that they can play some D, and get some decent goaltending.
Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes.

The most highly skilled teams over the past 20 years have won cups by taking care of their side of center first.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets are trending upwards, tendies pushing each other, and these low scoring games are exactly what we need. We need ugly wins, and a point will do. Goals will come. I liked our game in these last two games. That Buff play in OT was unacceptable, I would love to be in the room after the game to see if he owned it, cause he blew that play big time. But Jets have not played there best yet, but are in a playoff spot with games in hand, bottom six will be quite a bit better when Lowry and MP return. This team is headed in the right direction folks.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Just read this after making my post, bang on.

MrWigglez

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes! Plus he is very creative and quick. He creates a ton of space and he can set up one of the best shots in the NHL. We really need to go all in on PP1. We are diluting the talent there imo.

AMAZING isnt it... PoMo flat out refuses to spread out the offensive talent to create a top 9 instead of a top 6 but when it comes to the PP hes more than willing to spread out the talent and create 2 lines when he should be stacking 1.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The good news is although they are starting slowly in certain aspects, they aren't across the board. This is at least allowing them to hang until they hopefully start finding that other gear. In years past, they would be almost buried by now.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
AMAZING isnt it... PoMo flat out refuses to spread out the offensive talent to create a top 9 instead of a top 6 but when it comes to the PP hes more than willing to spread out the talent and create 2 lines when he should be stacking 1.

You'll see your top 9 when Lowry and MP are back - Conner was moved up in the top 6 and these two will be the foundation for the 3rd line - isn't that spreading it out? The problem with our PP won't be solved by condensing the top 6 - but there's already a thread on the PP.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
:laugh:

Hardly. There's a lot of criticism (well founded, in many instances), and some praise of things that deserve praise. I wouldn't call either a narrative: mostly posters expressing individual opinions.

Maybe I was a little harsh but the reality is, year 7 and the Jets still really have two lines, 3rd and 4th don't generate much if anything and Maurice to his defense has to run the top two lines excessively to generate scoring. I actually blame Chevy more than Maurice for this, seven years and you can't assemble even average third and fourth lines or proper forward depth?!? End of rant.

Is there a reason a good puckhandling, puck moving D man with a good shot ( Kulikov)is left off the PP and yet do-nothing, slow puck moving, $8 million D man with a good shot that rarely if ever see's the net get #1 PP despite being a hindrance on it!?!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
First two games: 0.829 sv%, 6.50 GA/GP. 0-2-0.
Last seven games: 0.929 sv%, 2.43 GA/GP. 4-1-2.

Carried by goaltending. Welcome to bizarro land.

Scheifele over/under 24:00 next game?

Goals16-1717-18
5v5 w/ Scheifele,Little107-9314-13
5v5 w/o Scheifele,Little49-712-7
PP and SH58-717-7
other (4v4, 3v3, EN)32-201-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I am enjoying the new found success of our goaltending tandem and It is bizarro world. We are not playing well as a team yet but goaltending can mask allot of things.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just when I was starting to compliment Byfuglien for being so much better since his return he goes and blows the game in OT. This is precisely what pisses me off about him. Complete lack of passion or awareness from the redline back to his goalie. Hustle back and get that puck. Don't let a guy smaller than you just take it from you. Just embarrassing.

Really happy to see a bounce back from Mason. Hope Laine finds his game again, he wasn't bad last night but he just doesn't look 'threatening' right now. Ehlers is a gem. Hope Brighteyes is ok, prob just a charley horse but those can linger.

Ok I was wondering who to blame. I have liked his last two games allot but that was an atrocious and unexucable play in OT. Full agreement on Mason this team needs goaltending as much if not more than any other version of the Jets 2.0. They are keeping us in the standings at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Jets are trending upwards, tendies pushing each other, and these low scoring games are exactly what we need. We need ugly wins, and a point will do. Goals will come. I liked our game in these last two games. That Buff play in OT was unacceptable, I would love to be in the room after the game to see if he owned it, cause he blew that play big time. But Jets have not played there best yet, but are in a playoff spot with games in hand, bottom six will be quite a bit better when Lowry and MP return. This team is headed in the right direction folks.
I agree with everything you said here, Stoppa. There is no shame in losing on a bounce in two games in Pittsburgh and Columbus' home barn.
I'd like to see higher scoring games in our favour. Makes for more exciting watching, but in terms of progress, we seem to have made some in our problem areas. The offense will come.
In regards to Buff, though, I'd like to see him apologize to more than the room, although that would be a good start. He could apologize to a coach for not being able to be straight and call him out publicly. In addition, this seems to be an opportunity to apologize to an entire fan base. The error was too blatant for even a halfways intelligent hockey fan to miss.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Number of PP goals by the Jets in Columbus...0

Number of PP goals by every other team in Columbus this season... 0

That is a very good PK, and the Jets had no clue how to deal with the pressure.

The PK was not good unless you are just being results-oriented. If you look at the "process" the PK was bad. It hung on for dear life, it's only a matter of time before the floodgates open on the PK. Can't bleed that many shots and give up that much zone time and expect to be an average or above PK in today's NHL. PK over the last 2 games is just a tad over 100 FA/60 comparing it against other teams in the league that is 30th place in the league (exactly where the Jets rank season to date in giving up unblocked shots). League median PK is 78 FA/60. That cannot be considered good by any stretch of the imagination.

So much talent, and we are turning into a grinding team.

That's giving the Jets too much credit. They are not turning into anything, that game you saw another team dominate the Jets to which the Jets had no answer. Grinding teams atleast do what they are trying to do intentionally

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
I'm a Petan fan. I have been clamouring for him to make it in the NHL and still think/hope that he can. That being said, I'm glad he was sent down to the AHL to get his confidence back while Tanev sticks with the Jets. I haven't been a fan of Tanev's style of hockey, but after watching him at the beginning of the season and again last night, I am convinced that we need his style of play on the Jets. He brings his hustle every night. And when he gets a breakthrough in the offensive zone, he is able to bury the puck like few 4th liners can. I would not be surprised to see him score 15 goals this season if his usage doesn't change. Even 20 might not be out of the question. It won't be pretty, but it will be effective.
That said, I think our PP1 would be better with Petan. We scored so fast in the games that our PP was working and Petan was on the ice that he didn't even get to touch the puck before the puck went in. I think he may still have helped as a decoy on those goals though. I think Petan will be back sooner than some people may think. He brings something that we need on our powerplay, plain and simple.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Amazing how with all the "events" that occurred on the OT goal (and there were plenty) that Buff alone gets singled out as the fall guy. Every player on the ice is guilty of a mistake(s) on that play including the goaltender

Reactions: Jets 31

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Amazing how with all the "events" that occurred on the OT goal (and there were plenty) that Buff alone gets singled out as the fall guy. Every player on the ice is guilty of a mistake(s) on that play including the goaltender
In any close game like that, there are many lost opportunities that could have been the difference. Buff's was just too glaring to overlook and too easy to correct (from all visible indications).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
In any close game like that, there are many lost opportunities that could have been the difference. Buff's was just too glaring to overlook and too easy to correct (from all visible indications).

I think he just has a big target painted on his back.

Reactions: Jets 31

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The good news is although they are starting slowly in certain aspects, they aren't across the board. This is at least allowing them to hang until they hopefully start finding that other gear. In years past, they would be almost buried by now.
Agreed. And the areas they have improved were the toughest to do. Team defense and quality goaltending. Where they are lagging are in fixable areas due to their high end talent. PP and 5-5 offense. I'm actually quite encouraged by the turn of events.

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad