Post-Game Talk: 2.0 > 1.0 Jets Win 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
No, Thorburn is the perfect guy to have sitting in his living room watching the game on TV. Platoon guys like Tanev, Petan, Copp and Dano so they each play about three-quarters of the games, which will help their development more than time in the A and keep them relatively fresh. Maurice should pretend he's a rectum and get rid of the crap.

4 players playing 1 spot will not equate to 3/4 of the game's.....

Thats some Laine scores 4 Scheifele scores 3 jets win 6 to 1 math

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
My 2 cents about BIG BUFF

He is an incredibly talented player who possess a skill set unmatched in the entire NHL. He has size, speed, finess and instincts that just don't ever come together for any one hockey player. He is determined yet loose. He jokes around, He's a leader in the dressing room. He has become a true professional, He's never been in better shape. The man accepted a letter this year when he had never wanted one in the past. Buff took out the garbage (kane) when it finally needed to be done.

This man is at his absolute best when he is given freedom. He needs to play with a reckless abandon, a chaos if you would. He needs to be the guy that leaves you scratching your head wondering what the hell he's doing leading a rush while he was suppose to be killing a 5vs3. Sometimes he's going to be the first forechecker, sometimes he is gonna pinch when he should have just back off. For every mistake he makes though it's easy to look past the number of times he steps up in the neutral zone at the perfect moment or when his pinch managed to create another minute of O zone time.

In order for Buff to be his best, He needs to play with a very smart player. A player who makes up for his deficiencies. If you give him this player the upside far outweighs his drawbacks. This player was Enstrom and now I think it may be JoMo, he's doing a hell of a job and letting us reap the rewards of good Buff and mitigate the drawbacks of Bad Buff.

Despite what a lot of people thought was bad Buff tonight he posted a 68% corsi. In summary, don't let a couple mistakes let you look past the impact he has on creating offence as a whole over the course of a game.

Thanks for this, wholeheartedly agree!

Until the mistakes he make start ending up in the net with regularity, I will gladly take a few of his warts. He is still super dominant and I think he needs to put one in to relax some of his "tension". Still overjoyed that we have him.

As always a tough crowd on HFBoards....

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Maurice is a "*bull **** baffles brains" type guy, he says what everyone wants to hear. Thorbs, Burmi, Stu are here for the season and they will play.

Just like they played opening night and the heritage classic before we got hammered with the injury bug right?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Just like they played opening night and the heritage classic before we got hammered with the injury bug right?

Peluso and Pav: waived, and playing for the Moose. Thor, Stu and Burmi, in the pressbox for the opening day, Thor and Stu in the PB for the heritage classic, and Stu firmly in the PB even now.

The thought processes have changed - the players will hang around a bit longer due to their contracts, but we've seen the beginning of the end of these players.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed. We still have 5 forwards out with injuries. I think it is important to remember that Thor and Burmi aren't playing up in the lineup. The kids are getting the bigger roles. If we ever get to that mythical healthy roster I fully expect Thor, Burmi and Stu as PB regulars. Best part is only Stu is under contract after this season.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011

So you think Thorbs and Burmi are our best options since the injury bug? Everyone keeps talking about how deep we are and yet these 2 guys are wasting roster spots.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. We still have 5 forwards out with injuries. I think it is important to remember that Thor and Burmi aren't playing up in the lineup. The kids are getting the bigger roles. If we ever get to that mythical healthy roster I fully expect Thor, Burmi and Stu as PB regulars. Best part is only Stu is under contract after this season.

So will this Lowry line be our fourth line soon?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
4 players playing 1 spot will not equate to 3/4 of the game's.....

Thats some Laine scores 4 Scheifele scores 3 jets win 6 to 1 math

4 players playing 3 spots will equate to 3/4 of the games, or should that be game's? What was that about math? The Jets have a passel of guys better than Thorburn (well, everyone, including half of the Moose) and six bottom 6 spots. There's plenty of room for platooning and getting everyone adequate ice time. There's no need at all to dress bums or sit them in the press box.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting comment. I was thinking about that a bit this season as the Jets seem to be a bit weaker in shot metrics. It occurs to me that they have as much or more offensive zone time as ever, but the players are more judicious about their shots. So, their shot attempts and shots on goal are down, but they are getting some better opportunities. I think that comes a bit with the skill of the team. If they can somehow suppress shot attempts and get a ton of zone time with high quality shots, I'll be very happy. As an example, against the Coyotes the Jets had about 52% of the shots on goal, but about 59% of the scoring chances. The Coyotes put a lot of lower quality shots on the net.

Interesting that Maurice has talked a lot about measuring offensive zone time this season. I wonder if they think that's a good metric for how they are controlling play (in addition to shot metrics). It would certainly relate a lot to zone exits and zone entries, which are important features of a strong game.

Good observation. Maurice also talks a lot about red zone or high danger chances for and against. I think that's where the focus has been this year, eliminate good chanceshift against and drive more high quality of chances for.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Not the prettiest game, but a strong 3rd period clenched it for the Jets. I thought Helle had another solid game. Very glad to see him playing with the poise we've seen in the past. Nice to see Ehlers finally bury one as well. The kid generates so many chances. Nice to see him rewarded.
GJG!

you know things are going ok when we devolve to arguments about "fake 500" again... :shakehead
No kidding. And in a game we won in regulation no less. :laugh:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Interesting comment. I was thinking about that a bit this season as the Jets seem to be a bit weaker in shot metrics. It occurs to me that they have as much or more offensive zone time as ever, but the players are more judicious about their shots. So, their shot attempts and shots on goal are down, but they are getting some better opportunities. I think that comes a bit with the skill of the team. If they can somehow suppress shot attempts and get a ton of zone time with high quality shots, I'll be very happy. As an example, against the Coyotes the Jets had about 52% of the shots on goal, but about 59% of the scoring chances. The Coyotes put a lot of lower quality shots on the net.

Interesting that Maurice has talked a lot about measuring offensive zone time this season. I wonder if they think that's a good metric for how they are controlling play (in addition to shot metrics). It would certainly relate a lot to zone exits and zone entries, which are important features of a strong game.

Jets' expected goals for by DTM's measure has been lower than their Corsi for, so the evidence conflicts with that theory. I rather use xG (DTM version) than scoring chances as scoring chances is binning continuous data.

That, and I rather have good Corsi% than possession, since the former correlates to future wins far more (just ask Patrick Roy and Randy Carlyle).

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Dano getting 5 SOG to lead the team last night. The kid is very dangerous around the net and finds a way to generate shots no matter who he plays with.

This Jets team has pretty insane forward depth right now and the quality is key.

If the clock has 2 less seconds on it Helly is a .913 save % on the year.

Love how they won ugly while keeping players TOI managed on the first of the B2B.

November rolls along and we keep hanging around.

Very very important game tonight against a division rival.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

TVVxlVt.png

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Nic Petan continues to grow...he's just starting up.....wait until he plays more with Laine...

I just don't see where he fits in. He's a fine player but when you are thinking small, skilled forward Ehlers is playing that role much better AND I think that Nik still has more potential than Nic.

I think we need to build up Petan's value and then use him in a trade to bolster our D depth or acquire a goalie depending on how H and H progress.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I'm ready, Buff :laugh:

I'm trying, guys. I promised myself when Buff signed the contract that I would try to focus on the good. I just see too many red flags, especially when we start competing for a cup and goals get harder to come by. We can't have a rogue defenseman pinching in high risk low reward situations, playing his own game, not being strong or physical enough defensively.

Yesterday when we were up by one in the third he pinched up and caused a 4 on one that luckily the Coyotes didn't score on. There was like 8 minutes left in the game. We simply cannot have that if we are to win a championship.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets' expected goals for by DTM's measure has been lower than their Corsi for, so the evidence conflicts with that theory. I rather use xG (DTM version) than scoring chances as scoring chances is binning continuous data.

That, and I rather have good Corsi% than possession, since the former correlates to future wins far more (just ask Patrick Roy and Randy Carlyle).

Is that score adjusted? I think score adjustment is skewing the Jets actual performance this year over the small sample. They've fallen behind quickly in some games due to poor goaltending and have had to play from behind. They've done that successfully but I think a lot of that play gets washed out in a lot of the metrics adjusting for score. Also, I don't think it's just about the simple location of shots. The Jets are making a lot more plays and moving the puck without shots. Obviously, they need to be converted into shots, but I see a totally different style this year.

Did the Avs and Ducks have high offensive zone time and low CF%?

Jets are 9th in raw CF% but drop considerably with score adjustment. They've dominated teams after falling behind, and had some comebacks to show.

Last edited:

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
4 players playing 3 spots will equate to 3/4 of the games, or should that be game's? What was that about math? The Jets have a passel of guys better than Thorburn (well, everyone, including half of the Moose) and six bottom 6 spots. There's plenty of room for platooning and getting everyone adequate ice time. There's no need at all to dress bums or sit them in the press box.

The only player you mentioned in that list that was on the opening day roster was Tanev. If our team is anywhere near healthy we have Little, Armia, MP, Mathias and Stafford. Not sure how you platoon 4 players into those spots and still get them 3/4 of the games. If you platoon the 4 players you mention into the the lineup they only had 1 spot between the 4 of them. Even if you traded Stafford tmrw that still only gives 1/2 the games.

I don't get it. Every single call up has been slotted ahead of Thorburn in our line up. There hasn't been any 3rd line Jesus sightings. The 4th line plays 10 minutes at the best of times. why wouldn't you prefer to have a Chris Thorburn splitting time between the pressbox and the 4th line (when necessary) and have Petan/Dano/Copp playing big minutes in the AHL ready to jump into a top 9 role if we were to loose a top 9 forward. Sure Copp can play on the 4th line ahead of Thorburn and he very well might when we get healthy but right now he's too busy playing on the 3rd line.

We don't have much left on the Farm at the moment. Sure I'd rather see Lemieux over Thor right now but Im also okay with Lemieux playing a key role on the moose. My guess is the jets thought MP would be back sooner than he has which is why they haven't called up another player from the moose.

I'm guessing Thor goes to the pressbox when MP gets healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad