Post-Game Talk: 2.0 > 1.0 Jets Win 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Man. I will say this.... it can't be easy playing home games in front of fans of the other team.

I don't see how they can stay in Arizona long term like that.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
1.Laine
2.Scheifele
3.Ehlers
4.Wheeler
5.Connor
6.Dano
7.Lowry
8.Burmistrov
9.Thorburn
10.Tanev
11.Perreault
12.Little
13.Armia
14.Matthias
15.Stafford
16. Copp
17. Petan

When all are healthy, something's gotta give...

Trade Stafford for a pick, waive Burmistrov and Thorburn, sit Matthias and Lowry in the press box?

Tough decisions incoming.
Bunch of extra picks coming.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Might be of some interest...

Chychrun (CF%): 38.9 (with a big push into offensive zone starts).

I thought he was okay, but to be honest he looks like he could use a bit of seasoning below the NHL.

I thought he looked overwhelmed. He clearly has loads of talent, but I don't think he's NHL ready yet.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
ARRRRRRRG THEY ARE NOT AT 0.500

huge pet peeve of mine in the NHL today.

1-1-80

is that 0.500?

when they say .500, they are not talking in terms of wins and losses, they are talking about points. jets have gained 50% of the points that were available for them to gain so far, 15 games, 15/30 points = .500

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
My 2 cents about BIG BUFF

He is an incredibly talented player who possess a skill set unmatched in the entire NHL. He has size, speed, finess and instincts that just don't ever come together for any one hockey player. He is determined yet loose. He jokes around, He's a leader in the dressing room. He has become a true professional, He's never been in better shape. The man accepted a letter this year when he had never wanted one in the past. Buff took out the garbage (kane) when it finally needed to be done.

This man is at his absolute best when he is given freedom. He needs to play with a reckless abandon, a chaos if you would. He needs to be the guy that leaves you scratching your head wondering what the hell he's doing leading a rush while he was suppose to be killing a 5vs3. Sometimes he's going to be the first forechecker, sometimes he is gonna pinch when he should have just back off. For every mistake he makes though it's easy to look past the number of times he steps up in the neutral zone at the perfect moment or when his pinch managed to create another minute of O zone time.

In order for Buff to be his best, He needs to play with a very smart player. A player who makes up for his deficiencies. If you give him this player the upside far outweighs his drawbacks. This player was Enstrom and now I think it may be JoMo, he's doing a hell of a job and letting us reap the rewards of good Buff and mitigate the drawbacks of Bad Buff.

Despite what a lot of people thought was bad Buff tonight he posted a 68% corsi. In summary, don't let a couple mistakes let you look past the impact he has on creating offense as a whole over the course of a game.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
when they say .500, they are not talking in terms of wins and losses, they are talking about points. jets have gained 50% of the points that were available for them to gain so far, 15 games, 15/30 points = .500

...Which is stupid.

An OT loss shouldn't be worth 50% the points. It's a loss.

Having 3 points for a regulation win makes much more sense. Then 1.5 would be 50%, which would mean that 1 regulation win + 1 regulation loss = 50% or 1 OT win + 1 OT loss = 50%.

As is, we have teams with records like 38-35-9 and people talking about them as if they have a positive win rate. It's ridiculous.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
...Which is stupid.

Having 3 points for a regulation win makes much more sense. Then 1.5 would be 50%, which would mean that 1 regulation win + 1 regulation loss = 50% or 1 OT win + 1 OT loss = 50%.

As is, we have teams with records like 38-35-9 and people talking about them as if they have a positive win rate. It's ridiculous.

3vs3 overtime and shootouts are ridiculous. If they just let ties be ties again that 38-35-9 record is a winning record.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
...Which is stupid.

3-0 and 2-1 is fine.

Or honestly just go back the way it was 2-0, or 1-1 for a tie.

What was the original argument?
Overtime is boring because teams will play five boring minutes to secure the point

What is the consequence of the new system?
The last five minutes of the game are even MORE boring because both teams have a mutual net positive gain incentive to secure the point AND then play for the extra one

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Interesting comment from the Coyotes netminder about the Jets

"There's teams that are going to shoot from everywhere," Domingue said. "This team, they keep the puck on their stick trying to make the perfect play, it looks like."

Whileee

May 29, 2010

He is an incredibly talented player who possess a skill set unmatched in the entire NHL. He has size, speed, finess and instincts that just don't ever come together for any one hockey player. He is determined yet loose. He jokes around, He's a leader in the dressing room. He has become a true professional, He's never been in better shape. The man accepted a letter this year when he had never wanted one in the past. Buff took out the garbage (kane) when it finally needed to be done.

This man is at his absolute best when he is given freedom. He needs to play with a reckless abandon, a chaos if you would. He needs to be the guy that leaves you scratching your head wondering what the hell he's doing leading a rush while he was suppose to be killing a 5vs3. Sometimes he's going to be the first forechecker, sometimes he is gonna pinch when he should have just back off. For every mistake he makes though it's easy to look past the number of times he steps up in the neutral zone at the perfect moment or when his pinch managed to create another minute of O zone time.

In order for Buff to be his best, He needs to play with a very smart player. A player who makes up for his deficiencies. If you give him this player the upside far outweighs his drawbacks. This player was Enstrom and now I think it may be JoMo, he's doing a hell of a job and letting us reap the rewards of good Buff and mitigate the drawbacks of Bad Buff.

Despite what a lot of people thought was bad Buff tonight he posted a 68% corsi. In summary, don't let a couple mistakes let you look past the impact he has on creating offense as a whole over the course of a game.

I tend to agree. Still, I don't think it's a good play to pinch and leave a 4-on-1 in a 2-1 game in the third period. Buff still needs to learn how to pick his spots and he can still be a strong overall player without a few of the most egregious break-downs.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I tend to agree. Still, I don't think it's a good play to pinch and leave a 4-on-1 in a 2-1 game in the third period. Buff still needs to learn how to pick his spots and he can still be a strong overall player without a few of the most egregious break-downs.

If Buff could just dial it down a touch, he'd provide 90% of the good stuff with half the "lol Buff" moments

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Interesting comment from the Coyotes netminder about the Jets

"There's teams that are going to shoot from everywhere," Domingue said. "This team, they keep the puck on their stick trying to make the perfect play, it looks like."

Interesting comment. I was thinking about that a bit this season as the Jets seem to be a bit weaker in shot metrics. It occurs to me that they have as much or more offensive zone time as ever, but the players are more judicious about their shots. So, their shot attempts and shots on goal are down, but they are getting some better opportunities. I think that comes a bit with the skill of the team. If they can somehow suppress shot attempts and get a ton of zone time with high quality shots, I'll be very happy. As an example, against the Coyotes the Jets had about 52% of the shots on goal, but about 59% of the scoring chances. The Coyotes put a lot of lower quality shots on the net.

Interesting that Maurice has talked a lot about measuring offensive zone time this season. I wonder if they think that's a good metric for how they are controlling play (in addition to shot metrics). It would certainly relate a lot to zone exits and zone entries, which are important features of a strong game.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

I also didn't appreciate the 4vs1 with a 2-1 game in the third. I've just reached a Zen like tranquility with Buff. Everyone he does something like this I close my eyes and take 5 deep Ohm breaths. I then open my eyes and most of the time the score is still the same.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

Wasn't best buff with chariot? Absolute anchor may force buff to more cautious.

Was hoping buff would smash domi.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Man. I will say this.... it can't be easy playing home games in front of fans of the other team.

I don't see how they can stay in Arizona long term like that.

I was at the game and I guarantee you half of the 11185 in attendance wore Jets gear of some sort. We had good seats in section 119 and I was one of six people in our row.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...

Bang on. Good post. Exactly the way I see Buff as well.

I think many see Buff out of his D position and that drives them crazy. But they forget that Buff has probably spent most of his career as a forward. Won a cup playing that position.

Nevermind being paired with a smart d partner, as a team, we need to be caoched to cover for him when he roams. Cause when he does, he causes all sorts of mayhem. He can physically will his way like no one else.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
ARRRRRRRG THEY ARE NOT AT 0.500

huge pet peeve of mine in the NHL today.

1-1-80

is that 0.500?

Great comment. The NHL has a silly points system. Every night I find myself hoping that other teams in the western conference don't tie in regulation. Why should they get an extra point for not being able to win in regulation?

Think about it. If a mediocre team tied 82 straight games in regulation, and being mediocre, won half of those in OT, they would end the season with 123 points. Question. Going back in time, how many teams have had 123 points in an 82 game season?

The new .500 in the NHL is probably about .550 or 1.1 pts ppg.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Great comment. The NHL has a silly points system. Every night I find myself hoping that other teams in the western conference don't tie in regulation. Why should they get an extra point for not being able to win in regulation?

Think about it. If a mediocre team tied 82 straight games in regulation, and being mediocre, won half of those in OT, they would end the season with 123 points. Question. Going back in time, how many teams have had 123 points in an 82 game season?

The new .500 in the NHL is probably about .550 or 1.1 pts ppg.

Very close. Last year, the average team had 91.1667 points in 82 games; this worked out to 0.556 being "the new .500"

So I guess .550 is a good round number to compare to for the new mediocrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad