Prospect Info: #198 RD Artyom Barabosha, Krasnaya Moskva MHL

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Kirill Dolzhenkov. He was picked by CBJ one pick before our Orlov. As I understand he will play in KHL this season in Kun` Lun`.

MHL. Defensively he is working very well. He looks very mobile for his age and size, he is doing right things on the short distance, by his stick and by his body.

Offensive side of the game is questionable. I would even say transitional side of the game is questionable. I can`t say something for now. Because I haven't seen enough. I would say until he will play on the higher level, we can`t make even intermediate conclusions.

For now he is mobile and big and doing everything right with his size on defensive side of the game. We need more context.
I was very high on Dolzhenkov leading up to the 2022 draft. Just a very unique talent. Columbus made a great pick there with him.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I was very high on Dolzhenkov leading up to the 2022 draft. Just a very unique talent. Columbus made a great pick there with him.
I could easily see he could be the Devils pick in this or next round instead of Hauser. That`s fun how many picks I was thought could be devils picks, were drafted right before us. Beck(devils traded 2nd round pick after mtl drafted Beck), Dolzhenkov could be Devils pick, I understand Devils drafted right defensemen, but I easily see if Devils would drafted Dolzhenkov, they could drafted Koromyslov after(God, I like everything I saw about Orlov, but man. I would prefer Koromyslov. And he was available. No, they would not drafted him. They would draft Orlov, I made wrong conclusion here), as we heard, Sykora was in Devils plans, and as we understand, Fitz would drafted Slafkovsky. But that's the point of the draft. No one creates comfortable conditions for anyone. And teams need to prepare for the draft seriously, look for a lot of talented players, because there is no booking.
But I like the draft, in case of losing Slafkovsky, Nemec was obvious our candidate, like Casey, Leddy, Brennan and Barabosha. And I could easily be wrong with other players. I think the Devils left satisfied with this draft, having crossed out the highest positions in their wish list.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I could easily see he could be the Devils pick in this or next round instead of Hauser. That`s fun how many picks I was thought could be devils picks, were drafted right before us. Beck(devils traded 2nd round pick after mtl drafted Beck), Dolzhenkov could be Devils pick, I understand Devils drafted right defensemen, but I easily see if Devils would drafted Dolzhenkov, they could drafted Koromyslov after(God, I like everything I saw about Orlov, but man. I would prefer Koromyslov. And he was available. No, they would not drafted him. They would draft Orlov, I made wrong conclusion here), as we heard, Sykora was in Devils plans, and as we understand, Fitz would drafted Slafkovsky. But that's the point of the draft. No one creates comfortable conditions for anyone. And teams need to prepare for the draft seriously, look for a lot of talented players, because there is no booking.
But I like the draft, in case of losing Slafkovsky, Nemec was obvious our candidate, like Casey, Leddy, Brennan and Barabosha. And I could easily be wrong with other players. I think the Devils left satisfied with this draft, having crossed out the highest positions in their wish list.
Man, Owen Beck has been something else in Montreal, hasn't he? He's the perfect example of why we need to watch the players before the draft and not over-rely on stats. He might pull a Patrice Bergeron and go straight from a 2nd round pick to an NHL top 6 in just a few months time. How he slipped through the first round is just insane to me, but again I had Beck ranked higher than pretty much anyone.

I'm happy with Orlov, but as you know I also would have preferred Koromyslov. I think Koromyslov is going to be one of the steals of the 2022 draft when we look back a decade from now.

Of course, I very much like the 2022 draft, too. NJ took the weakest position in the organization -- RD -- and made it a clear-cut strength with Nemec, Casey, Leddy and Barabosha. We also took a nice home run swing with the highest-upside goalie in the draft with Brennan. It was just so much stronger and more focused than the "give all the boys in scouting/analytics a guy" later round drafting of 2020 and 2021. I'm still upset about picks like Baumgartner and Salminen and Hurtig haha.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Man, Owen Beck has been something else in Montreal, hasn't he? He's the perfect example of why we need to watch the players before the draft and not over-rely on stats. He might pull a Patrice Bergeron and go straight from a 2nd round pick to an NHL top 6 in just a few months time. How he slipped through the first round is just insane to me, but again I had Beck ranked higher than pretty much anyone.

I'm happy with Orlov, but as you know I also would have preferred Koromyslov. I think Koromyslov is going to be one of the steals of the 2022 draft when we look back a decade from now.

Of course, I very much like the 2022 draft, too. NJ took the weakest position in the organization -- RD -- and made it a clear-cut strength with Nemec, Casey, Leddy and Barabosha. We also took a nice home run swing with the highest-upside goalie in the draft with Brennan. It was just so much stronger and more focused than the "give all the boys in scouting/analytics a guy" later round drafting of 2020 and 2021. I'm still upset about picks like Baumgartner and Salminen and Hurtig haha.
When the Habs took Beck , I said right then that it was a very high value pick where they got him.
His style of play was way we needed but no biggie . All is not last as I think we still did a very godo job with our picks from the 2nd round on. Plenty of teams “missed“ out on Beck.I was hoping he fell to where we got Casey but nothing we could have done except trade up nut how do you know how far to trade up and what was the cost ?
I still think Casey and Brennan are very good pick. Same with Barabosha !

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
When the Habs took Beck , I said right then that it was a very high value pick where they got him.
His style of play was way we needed but no biggie . All is not last as I think we still did a very godo job with our picks from the 2nd round on. Plenty of teams “missed“ out on Beck.
I personally really like the Seamus Casey pick!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
His style of play was way we needed but no biggie . All is not last as I think we still did a very godo job with our picks from the 2nd round on. Plenty of teams “missed“ out on Beck.
I think we can make a novella out of all the posting I did about Owen Beck. To me, the only reason he lasted until the 2nd round is too many teams bafflingly let their analytics departments in on draft-day decisions.

Since this is a Barabosha thread, the same argument can be made for the young defenseman -- another player who, like Beck, I ranked higher than all, if not most. You're going to have to patient with Barabosha's development, but his speed, strength, athleticism, physicality and ability to play shut-down defense give him mid-pairing NHL upside and it's crazy to me he lasted until the 7th round.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think we can make a novella out of all the posting I did about Owen Beck. To me, the only reason he lasted until the 2nd round is too many teams bafflingly let their analytics departments in on draft-day decisions.

Since this is a Barabosha thread, the same argument can be made for the young defenseman -- another player who, like Beck, I ranked higher than all, if not most. You're going to have to patient with Barabosha's development, but his speed, strength, athleticism, physicality and ability to play shut-down defense give him mid-pairing NHL upside and it's crazy to me he lasted until the 7th round.
Yes , like you have said a few times , I think Barabosha fell because his offensive numbers and production didn’t leap off the page. It’s exactly how I like to see us draft in that late round of a draft.
He wont be a top paring D man more than likely but he has a shot of beippng a very serviceable player if given the patience and time to develop correctly.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I personally really like the Seamus Casey pick!
The Casey pick was good, but Owen Beck was already off the board. Beck went #33 overall to Montreal, while the Devils nabbed Casey at #46.

The team which should really be punching itself in the face is San Jose, who wanted a center at #27 and went with Filip Bystedt, who is not even in the same stratosphere of talent as Beck. I think Bystedt has bottom 6 potential in the NHL but aside from being much bigger than Beck in physical stature, Beck blows him off the board in every imaginable aspect. It's not close.

As far as other pure centers who went off the board before Beck, I also considered Beck superior to #11 pick Conor Geekie (Arizona) and #16 pick Noah Ostlund (Buffalo). I feel both of these teams would have been better served taking Beck.

But again, teams get caught up in a lot of the pressure and nonsense leading up to draft day. I remember reading a whole lot of Montreal fans upset with the Beck pick, which is pretty baffling. To me, he was pretty easily the best remaining center where the Habs drafted him.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yes , like you have said a few times , I think Barabosha fell because his offensive numbers and production didn’t leap off the page. It’s exactly how I like to see us draft in that late round of a draft.
He wont be a top paring D man more than likely but he has a shot of beippng a very serviceable player if given the patience and time to develop correctly.
I think defensemen who have shut-down capability, speed and physicality are enormously valuable to NHL teams and increasingly scarce. Of course, I'm not looking at a Barabosha in round one or early in round two where high-upside scorers are available, but if the Devils had taken him several rounds earlier I would still tout it as a great pick.

I will say I ranked Barabosha (and still do) higher than two 2022 1st-round defensemen (Korchinski and Pickering) and several 2nd rounders (Duda, Havelid, Kyrou, Salomonsson, Nordberg to name a bunch). I had Barabosha ranked about the same as Seamus Casey, a Devils pick I was also quite pleased with.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
The Casey pick was good, but Owen Beck was already off the board. Beck went #33 overall to Montreal, while the Devils nabbed Casey at #46.

The team which should really be punching itself in the face is San Jose, who wanted a center at #27 and went with Filip Bystedt, who is not even in the same stratosphere of talent as Beck. I think Bystedt has bottom 6 potential in the NHL but aside from being much bigger than Beck in physical stature, Beck blows him off the board in every imaginable aspect. It's not close.

As far as other pure centers who went off the board before Beck, I also considered Beck superior to #11 pick Conor Geekie (Arizona) and #16 pick Noah Ostlund (Buffalo). I feel both of these teams would have been better served taking Beck.

But again, teams get caught up in a lot of the pressure and nonsense leading up to draft day. I remember reading a whole lot of Montreal fans upset with the Beck pick, which is pretty baffling. To me, he was pretty easily the best remaining center where the Habs drafted him.
welcome back!

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think defensemen who have shut-down capability, speed and physicality are enormously valuable to NHL teams and increasingly scarce. Of course, I'm not looking at a Barabosha in round one or early in round two where high-upside scorers are available, but if the Devils had taken him several rounds earlier I would still tout it as a great pick.

I will say I ranked Barabosha (and still do) higher than two 2022 1st-round defensemen (Korchinski and Pickering) and several 2nd rounders (Duda, Havelid, Kyrou, Salomonsson, Nordberg to name a bunch). I had Barabosha ranked about the same as Seamus Casey, a Devils pick I was also quite pleased with.
I don’t know much about most of the D you have listed, more so just what I learned about Barabosha from what you , Guadana and others say and watching video of his recent games that Guadana was nice enough to provide us.
I really like his game. Him and Okhotiuk both are players I’d like to see eventually. Not sure if Mukhamadoulin ever does , but I hope he adds a nasty part to his game and hits mkre once he gains more muscle . But I’m not sure if that is part of what will make him a successful Dman or if he is better off playif a different style.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think Barabosha suffered a bit on some draft boards because he played in the MHL and his offensive numbers didn't pop. Then layer in some teams just moving away from defense first guys who don't show great offensive upside and it's not shocking Barabosha would not be the late round project teams grab in today's game. That said, he looked good in the video I've watched and apparently @Guadana even spoke to him after the draft and he was happy to have been picked by NJ. The nice thing for him is he can develop at his pace and on his own terms and if the day comes that he wants to give North America a shot NJ will retain his signing rights over here and they can be patient with him. Thanks for bringing him up to the group last draft season. This is why you cannot give up the draft writing. If we have to just go by the consensus reports and video we will miss out on guys like this who deserve a spotlight. You don't want that to happen to your fellow Devils fans now do you?

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
I see little point in pondering about defensive prospects who will likely never make the team considering our depth at the position on both sides for years to come. It's like having a full plate in front of you and wanting more without even taking a bite of what's in front of you.

The focus should rather be in goaltending and forward depth.

How do you fix the bottom line. What to do with Blackwood?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

You should work it out with a psychologist. Baumgartner, Salminen and Hurting won't let you go.
Beck is still a fried pie, but we can't take all the sweets from the candy shop. But if this season will not go highly well, Fitz can get 1st and 2nd picks this year or even more. With two firsts and two seconds... man, just imagine. 4 good talents for the team that has a lot of talents. Devils can close all the gaps in their future.

Orlov finally started to play in MHL. So he is next.

I see little point in pondering about defensive prospects who will likely never make the team considering our depth at the position on both sides for years to come. It's like having a full plate in front of you and wanting more without even taking a bite of what's in front of you.

It's great that such opinions exist. After all, they are so necessary and useful.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Yes but it’s nice to see them develop and provide some competition . Also WO you I’d be nice for everyone to develop so we gave versatility with styles of D . That and the more NHL capable players we have the better . I agree that some guys really don’t have a shot at replacing guys like Hughes /Nemec etc , but we could always use those players as trade bait to upgrade other positions of need. We could get some nice value out of a player like Casey if he “hits” but we simply don’t have a spot for him .

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

This is the Barabosha thread for those who want to follow his path. There are multiple threads where we can read @Bleedred taking Blackwood to task. You certainly can pick and choose where to participate but each prospect deserves their own thread in my view and I don't seem to be alone in that regard.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
But you can trade some of what's on your plate for some nice desserts!

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'll turn off the sarcasm, perhaps. This is a stupid opinion. Siegenthaler signed a 5-year agreement. 6 years is not the most unusual way for a defenseman to reach the NHL. Moreover, Siegenthaler can be traded along the way. Hughes and Nemec have not played a single game in the NHL. Okhotyuk, Bahl and Walsh have not played half of the season. Severson's contract has not been signed, we do not know how long Marino will be in the squad. At the moment, in fact, we have only Hamilton and Siegenthaler on contracts. Plus Marino. This is just a frivolous conversation. At this stage, those who follow and worry about the team will follow and worry about the prospects who may join the team in a year, or in two, or in four or five years. Moreover, the team is entering a new phase in which the introduction of prospects into the roster will take longer.

Artyom Barabosha, #80 White jersey, Red Army vs Dynamo SPB, 7 sept 2022, all actions, good and bad

Earlier game than I posted before. Not his best game. He tries to play ahead, which I like, but he is in a hurry for about half a step, which eventually creates an opportunity for the player to attack. actually, in later games, he performed better in similar situations. We will watch and evaluate. I like that he correctly stands on position in cycling, does not give space for playing on rebounds.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t know much about most of the D you have listed, more so just what I learned about Barabosha from what you , Guadana and others say and watching video of his recent games that Guadana was nice enough to provide us.
I really like his game. Him and Okhotiuk both are players I’d like to see eventually. Not sure if Mukhamadoulin ever does , but I hope he adds a nasty part to his game and hits mkre once he gains more muscle . But I’m not sure if that is part of what will make him a successful Dman or if he is better off playif a different style.
I see Mukhamadullin as an "a little bit of everything" mid-pairing type at his apex. Mukhamadullin is potentially a kid who can play very solid defense, provide a bit of physicality, make very good outlet passes and transition plays, and contribute around the 40-point range without dominating in any one area.

If there's one element Mukhamadullin can really provide more than the rest of the NJ defense prospects, it's his cannon of a shot from the point. Shakir can really blast the biscuit, and I see him as the trigger man from the point on a future NJ 2PP unit.

I think Barabosha suffered a bit on some draft boards because he played in the MHL and his offensive numbers didn't pop. Then layer in some teams just moving away from defense first guys who don't show great offensive upside and it's not shocking Barabosha would not be the late round project teams grab in today's game. That said, he looked good in the video I've watched and apparently @Guadana even spoke to him after the draft and he was happy to have been picked by NJ. The nice thing for him is he can develop at his pace and on his own terms and if the day comes that he wants to give North America a shot NJ will retain his signing rights over here and they can be patient with him. Thanks for bringing him up to the group last draft season. This is why you cannot give up the draft writing. If we have to just go by the consensus reports and video we will miss out on guys like this who deserve a spotlight. You don't want that to happen to your fellow Devils fans now do you?
I'll see if I have one more year left in me, haha.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You should work it out with a psychologist. Baumgartner, Salminen and Hurting won't let you go.
Beck is still a fried pie, but we can't take all the sweets from the candy shop. But if this season will not go highly well, Fitz can get 1st and 2nd picks this year or even more. With two firsts and two seconds... man, just imagine. 4 good talents for the team that has a lot of talents. Devils can close all the gaps in their future.

Orlov finally started to play in MHL. So he is next.

It's great that such opinions exist. After all, they are so necessary and useful.
I'd prefer making the playoffs to selling more at the 2023 trade deadline, but if the Devils are out of the post-season mix names like Severson, Graves and Wood should all fetch pretty nice trade returns. It is crucial to keep in mind how strong the 2023 draft class is -- absolutely the best in several years.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'd prefer making the playoffs to selling more at the 2023 trade deadline, but if the Devils are out of the post-season mix names like Severson, Graves and Wood should all fetch pretty nice trade returns. It is crucial to keep in mind how strong the 2023 draft class is -- absolutely the best in several years.
Graves and Wood could bring 2nds each, Severson could bring first. May be Tatar, if he will produce some points, could bring third or fourth.

I'd prefer playoff too. But guys like Okhotiuk, Bahl, Zetterlund, Boqvist or Thompson could win the spot through the season. Devils could easily be sellers and win the lay off spot at the same time. 2023 draft loaded. 3-4-5 picks in 1st and 2nd rounds... It could be festival after festival.

The most fun part could be trading severson in wild card team that will lose final spurt and win the lottery. (ofcourse they will trade protected pick, but who knows)

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Kid has played games in the MHL , VHL & KHL all this current season. Pretty impressive for an 18 year old defensman who jist turned 19 4 days ago.

According to eliteprospects, he's only played in the MHL this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad