Line Combos: 19-20 lineup

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Of course not, half the time he played with mcdavid, he's not a first liner. The depth was pathetic last season where he had the opportunity to get first line minutes.

Quality depth players are needed as well for success. He's no marshmallow and he's in his prime today.
He is a quality depth player though. If you don’t keep him your just looking to hit another home run on the next Chiasson.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Why are people putting Benson in the lineup let alone in the top 6 ? guy can barely move as fast as Sam Gagner .Keep him in the minors until you see a consistent improvement in his game and skating. Let him dominate the AHL before bringing him up.

I agree . Keep my the young guys in the AHL until the Oilers have their cap fixed and can bring in better players to improve . The shit show that are the Oilers right now can ruin a kid .

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Man, as much as we've been disparaging the lack of talent that Tippet had to work with in relation to his time with the Coyotes, he at least had Yandle and OEL who had game breaking ability in terms of stretch passes and puck moving; this roster hasn't had that since Ryan Whitney

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Man, as much as we've been disparaging the lack of talent that Tippet had to work with in relation to his time with the Coyotes, he at least had Yandle and OEL who had game breaking ability in terms of stretch passes and puck moving; this roster hasn't had that since Ryan Whitney
We have McDavid.

Reactions: B33K33PING

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I really like a couple d moving up from the farm. If we lose some salary from Russell and other high price bottom pairs, it gives us options to upgrade the wings and get some production. We we do that, were fine for the playoffs. We also have 1 or 2 developing forwards that might step up. Get a good backup, I dont see us being that far. We have holes but they are manageable if the right moves are made. We have lots of good pieces.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hes alot stronger on his skates than Gagner.

Theres alot more to skating than speed.
The veteran Gagner has very little difficulty staying on his skates and was able to absorb quite a few hits at the NHL level. Sam Gagner is stronger than the young version we formerly had here. This is a guy still in prime with all kinds of imaginative plays and that has hands, can run a PP, control the puck in tight quarters. Gagner is basically already arrived. Bird in hand. If we have a dud like Colby Cave out there in depth instead of talent like Gagner it will be a shame.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The veteran Gagner has very little difficulty staying on his skates and was able to absorb quite a few hits at the NHL level. Sam Gagner is stronger than the young version we formerly had here. This is a guy still in prime with all kinds of imaginative plays and that has hands, can run a PP, control the puck in tight quarters. Gagner is basically already arrived. Bird in hand. If we have a dud like Colby Cave out there in depth instead of talent like Gagner it will be a shame.
Totally different roles so I don’t really see them as direct competitors. They aren’t really playing the same type of icetime. I think cave is our 4C currently. He was much better than Brodziak.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Am I the only one who thinks Holland is going to have to do some major work with no space. I’d say if we want to compete the lines look right now like
X. McDavid Draisaitl
X. RNH X
Kharia X Kassian
Nygard Brodziak Gagner
Lucic

Klef/Larsson
Nurse/X
X/Sekera

Koskinen
X

We need to shed Russel if we can, probably more eatable for a team then Sekera. At minimum 2 of those top 6 spots need proven talent. A legit 3C is a must. A backup goalie is a must.

I get people saying “we have Mcdavid, we don’t need to overhaul to make it”. Mcdavid and Drai put up insane years this past year and I didn’t even feel like we were close after like December.

I mean we have some good depth on the way in Benson, Yamamoto, Bouchard. But if this brutal stretch has taught us anything it’s that we can’t rely on it. I’m also assuming Pulju is flipped, hopefully to address one of the spots marked X

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hoping they roll with Kassian on the wing with Connor and Leon. He looked good there in the 2nd half.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Hoping they roll with Kassian on the wing with Connor and Leon. He looked good there in the 2nd half.

Kassian is the type of player that when he’s rolling, that’s when you put him up in the lineup. To me if we want to compete this year you have a guy who is much more consistent moving between Mcdavids line and the second line. Mcdavids wingers will be very fluid unless we stumble across another Maroon. Kassian can look great for like 10 games then disappear for a lot more.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Kassian is the type of player that when he’s rolling, that’s when you put him up in the lineup. To me if we want to compete this year you have a guy who is much more consistent moving between Mcdavids line and the second line. Mcdavids wingers will be very fluid unless we stumble across another Maroon. Kassian can look great for like 10 games then disappear for a lot more.
They need a solid winger for the second line much more than a guy who can play on the first line.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
gagner was pretty useless after the shine wore off near the end of the season.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
They need a solid winger for the second line much more than a guy who can play on the first line.

They need a lot of wingers, but have no cap space to make that happen. So your best bet is going to be to chase after a second line guy, but hopefully a guy who can jump on the top line when needed and produce.

They aren’t going to fill all those holes in the lineup this offseason, so the players they can get are going to hopefully be very versatile

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Unfortunately he may be our best option as our winger depth is terrible. I’m done with guys like Rattie proving night after night that they just don’t have the physical tools to play top 6 minutes.

Maybe Gagner could be effective there, he played a more effective game last year when he came back.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Am I the only one who thinks Holland is going to have to do some major work with no space. I’d say if we want to compete the lines look right now like
X. McDavid Draisaitl
X. RNH X
Kharia X Kassian
Nygard Brodziak Gagner
Lucic

Klef/Larsson
Nurse/X
X/Sekera

Koskinen
X

We need to shed Russel if we can, probably more eatable for a team then Sekera. At minimum 2 of those top 6 spots need proven talent. A legit 3C is a must. A backup goalie is a must.

I get people saying “we have Mcdavid, we don’t need to overhaul to make it”. Mcdavid and Drai put up insane years this past year and I didn’t even feel like we were close after like December.

I mean we have some good depth on the way in Benson, Yamamoto, Bouchard. But if this brutal stretch has taught us anything it’s that we can’t rely on it. I’m also assuming Pulju is flipped, hopefully to address one of the spots marked X
That's why they have to give some chances to guys like Benson for example. And not buy some expensive useless vets

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
That's why they have to give some chances to guys like Benson for example. And not buy some expensive useless vets

Issue is how many times have we went into a season and said, “ We will give X the opportunity and they will flourish”, just recently it happened with Slepyshev, and then last year it happened with Rattie, Yamamoto, and Pulju. All of them have fallen on there face. You can’t go into next season expecting these guys to have a spot next year

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
X. McDavid Draisaitl
X. RNH X
Kharia X Kassian
Nygard Brodziak Gagner
Lucic

Klef/Larsson
Nurse/X
X/Sekera

Koskinen
X

I would give Chiasson another contract. For the cap hit he had, he overpassed any expectations in a role he was clearly not made for.

I could see him on the third or fourth, if one of Nygard / Gagner doesn't impress.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
If the trade of Lucic to Vancouver for Loui, where would he fit in? Is he too old or do they have anything left in him. Both players need a change bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad