Prospect Info: 17th Overall - Lukas Reichel

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
From what I've seen it looks like he was ranked 31st-43 in most rankings.

Should have just traded down.

Chris Peters (ESPN) had him 17th to the Hawks, Pronman (Atlantic) had him 21 to Columbus, Steve Kournianos (Draft Analyst) had him 16 to Montreal, Mercogliano (USA Today) had him 30 to Dallas, and Button (TSN) had him out of the first round.

Blackhawks26

6 time Cup Champions
Jun 17, 2011
Orland Park IL
Chris Peters (ESPN) had him 17th to the Hawks, Pronman (Atlantic) had him 21 to Columbus, Steve Kournianos (Draft Analyst) had him 16 to Montreal and Button (TSN) had him out of the first round.
Yeah, idk if im taking a guy who is legit all over the place at 17. Then again, im writing this from behind my computer in my house and I am not paid to scout NHL prospects. Unfortunately I just have YouTube.

the hawks euro scouts are awesome. I hope they nailed this one too

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Chris Peters (ESPN) had him 17th to the Hawks, Pronman (Atlantic) had him 21 to Columbus, Steve Kournianos (Draft Analyst) had him 16 to Montreal and Button (TSN) had him out of the first round.

Eh Button is a clown when it comes to the draft a majority of the time so going against his opinion doesnt hurt

Reactions: Muffinalt

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-rankings-forbes/
2020 NHL Draft: The final top 31 rankings (not the best, but didn't even get listed)
We looked at 12 sources to come up with EOTP’s Consensus NHL Draft Rankings (a bit higher on here #27 to be exact)

Some others had him at 23. I just think there was much better talent on the board. Kid already came out and said hes two years away from the NHL. Our core is only aging more and more.

You don’t make this pick with the core in mind

Reactions: TheDachKnight

Crow

May 19, 2014
f*** sorry. I shouldn’t have posted in the other thread. I trust our European scouts more than the rest of them. Though it appears they got dach right.

Reactions: clydesdale line

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
would have taken Mercer myself but who knows, out Euro scouts are top notch.

Lukas was climbing a lot of boards recently so who knows.

Some say has top 6 potential and that he has a good amount more upside than Mercer who projects as a middle six guy

does Robert Riechal have any ties to the Hawks?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah, idk if im taking a guy who is legit all over the place at 17. Then again, im writing this from behind my computer in my house and I am not paid to scout NHL prospects. Unfortunately I just have YouTube.

the hawks euro scouts are awesome. I hope they nailed this one too

That's... literally how the draft works. Each team has different lists, valuing players differently. 3 good scouts/prospect reporters had him in the 16-21 range. Seems like a fair pick at 17.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Mercer the next pick could bite us but there were probably 4-7 players I would have been okay with there. Time will tell.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
You guys got a hell of a player. For my money Reichel has the best hockey IQ in the entire draft. Which is the same thing I said about Kirby Dach last year. This guy was immensely underrated in the draft rankings. He's going to be a star. Enjoy guys.

Your team actually has drafted pretty much my 3 favorite prospects in the last 3 drafts with Boqvist, Dach and Reichel. I always liked the Hawks and cheered for you guys in the playoffs all those years, I'll be tuning in to a lot more games over the coming years to see this group of players develop. Future is bright in Chicago.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Just because Mercer was ranked higher by almost all ranking organizations fans usually read lists from,,tgat obviously did nit matter to the Hawks...

It could be that they always had Reichel as onevofvtheirc4 stated targetsvof equal value they expected to still be on the borad..It maybe tfat 1 or 2 of these already went off the board...so maybe Reichel was only #19 on their list ...maybe they also expected Amirov and Holloway would akso be there...Maybe they thought Mercerxwoukd be off the board but ranked hom 20th on their list after Reichel...we do not know..but I suspect Reichel was nit 17th on their list.

If the decision down to Reichel vs.Mercer then 4 factors could have made the decision for them:

1.Maybe they thought Mercer projected RW as a RW not a C ....whereas Reichel for sure was LW (great system need than RW) ...

2 Maybe they preferred to gamble on the nearly 8 months younger player ...that even if behind in development at this stage the ceiling after full development looked higher?

3.Some think because Reichel is always around the puck and has a natural instinct forvtge game already in how he processes Nd anticipates play ,that he actually could transition to Center.

4.Reichel already grew 3 inches from 5'9 to 6'0 but given his younger Ge may still spurt some more whereas the 8 month older Mercer might not.

So they are betging tge finished product with Reichel is better than tge ceilingvtgeyvsee forcMercer?

Do not know how any or all of this pkayedvout...but given past history when equal value is part of the equation Stan likes to bet on the younger player to develop.

We will not know for z few years if Stan made the right call ..but given that the consensus of BobMcKenzie's NHL professional scouts he polled put Reichel at #20 it is not a stretch to see him taken at #17...

Maybe Hawks had expected Mercer and 1 or other of Amirov and Holloway to also stiller there at #17...but since they were gone maybe they decided Reichel they younger guy was a better fit or better bet for them than Mercer.

Time will tell..but there either was not much gap or Haeks perceived taki g the yoinger guy to develop woukd bevthe better dexision.

We shall know in few years.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Are you guys not worried that not a single prospect can be developed in rockford? Dach, Cat, Boqvist, Saad, whatever. The Hogs cant develop anything to save their life. What is up with that? They might be there for 10 to 30 days but thats it. Weird.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Are you guys not worried that not a single prospect can be developed in rockford? Dach, Cat, Boqvist, Saad, whatever. The Hogs cant develop anything to save their life. What is up with that? They might be there for 10 to 30 days but thats it. Weird.

Colliton had them going in the right direction then they promoted him and Rockford went to shit again...They def need to figure that situation out, there was talk of the team leaving RFD which would maybe require them to find a new affiliate, not sure how that works but maybe it would be good for org...It's almost a sure bet based on history that if a player spends a meaningful amount of time in Rockford they're likely not going to be with the org for very long.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Colliton had them going in the right direction then they promoted him and Rockford went to shit again...They def need to figure that situation out, there was talk of the team leaving RFD which would maybe require them to find a new affiliate, not sure how that works but maybe it would be good for org...It's almost a sure bet based on history that if a player spends a meaningful amount of time in Rockford they're likely not going to be with the org for very long.

Blah blah blah something might happen...

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
You guys got a hell of a player. For my money Reichel has the best hockey IQ in the entire draft. Which is the same thing I said about Kirby Dach last year. This guy was immensely underrated in the draft rankings. He's going to be a star. Enjoy guys.

Your team actually has drafted pretty much my 3 favorite prospects in the last 3 drafts with Boqvist, Dach and Reichel. I always liked the Hawks and cheered for you guys in the playoffs all those years, I'll be tuning in to a lot more games over the coming years to see this group of players develop. Future is bright in Chicago.

I like your style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad