17-18 Blackhawks 2.0

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Here's the tweet, rooh is alluding to.

Pretty interesting and not surprising. We have a potential opening on the third pair and Franson is, at this point in the summer, going to have to take a cheap deal. We might not even have to give him a contract worth millions after Hossa's LTIR. At this point, with the market for defensemen shriveling up, Franson might not be able to get a contract over a million from any team.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'll bet Oilers are pretty keen to get Franson... but if ever there was a good time for Stan to overspend (albeit by hundreds of thousands, not millions which isn't much in the grand scheme of things), this could be it. Land this guy Stan!

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Franson would be a good signing to fill one of the Hawks 2 holes, 5-6 D who is experienced and a bottom 6 center.

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
So if we get Franson the D would look like:

Keith-Murphy
Kempny- Seabrook
Forsling- Franson

Depending on how he plays he can rotate between our third and second pairing. This helps so much especially if Rutta plays well enough as well (in case Forsling is still not ready yet)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, I agree. Bringing in a solid, reliable vet like Franson is the missing piece to the D. Takes a lot of pressure off the other guys.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
If I were him, I'd go to Edmonton.

why?

The Hawks are an original 6 team with a recent history that is amazing and a wonderful fan base. Chicago is a fine town. So there is much to commend in coming to the Hawks. Edmonton is likely a better team currently or, at the very least, is getting better as the Hawks are going the other way... sure... but Chicago vs. Edmonton --- I like the Hawks chances.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
why?

The Hawks are an original 6 team with a recent history that is amazing and a wonderful fan base. Chicago is a fine town. So there is much to commend in coming to the Hawks. Edmonton is likely a better team currently or, at the very least, is getting better as the Hawks are going the other way... sure... but Chicago vs. Edmonton --- I like the Hawks chances.

If lifestyle is a factor, yeah, we win out big. I'm just thinking that Franson is kinda on the fringe right now and he might put up more points in Edmonton. The allure of McDavid would be too much for me as a player, especially a fringe type. I'd want to be a part of him getting 100 points. You have Patty Kane here though, so it's a great opportunity for him either way. Just personally, I'd want to be with McDavid, he's about to blow up.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If lifestyle is a factor, yeah, we win out big. I'm just thinking that Franson is kinda on the fringe right now and he might put up more points in Edmonton. The allure of McDavid would be too much for me as a player, especially a fringe type. I'd want to be a part of him getting 100 points. You have Patty Kane here though, so it's a great opportunity for him either way. Just personally, I'd want to be with McDavid, he's about to blow up.

But what would playing with McDavid do for a 3rd pairing D? It's not like he's a winger and will be on a line with McDavid. IDK.

I mean, he's likely looking at a 1 year deal at this point, as he would have been signed already, otherwise. So why not come to Chicago, get yourself a 1 year "show me" deal, and try to earn yourself a multi-year contract for next year. It wouldn't necessarily be with the Hawks, but he'd likely have a great opportunity to play here and get solid minutes to prove he's worth a multi-year contract.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
But what would playing with McDavid do for a 3rd pairing D? It's not like he's a winger and will be on a line with McDavid. IDK.

I mean, he's likely looking at a 1 year deal at this point, as he would have been signed already, otherwise. So why not come to Chicago, get yourself a 1 year "show me" deal, and try to earn yourself a multi-year contract for next year. It wouldn't necessarily be with the Hawks, but he'd likely have a great opportunity to play here and get solid minutes to prove he's worth a multi-year contract.

I am with you

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, good point. As a 3rd pairing D, it's very much up in the air as to whether he could leech some points off McDavid. I'd just feed him stretch passes and watch him go but yeah, sounds easy but it really isn't. Edmonton is on the way up, we're kinda in a holding pattern. I think we're going back to the top in the next few years for sure though. Then it'll be on Stan to work some magic with the contracts to keep us there for the rest of Toews/Kane deals. Hopefully they will resign at a discount and keep the thing rolling, not holding my breath on that one. Two great choices. I think it's fair to say Edmonton has the best chance to win this upcoming season. You gotta live in Edmonton though. This is a very interesting clash of the titans, it'll be interesting to see what he chooses and why.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

i agree, if he has vision, then he should select Bhawks, b/c the team is really not that bad. except of Seabs .... the one thing i have to key reminding myself, Seabs had something like 40+ assists . Franson will make this team even more solid, on paper at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad