Prospect Info: 163 OA - C Timur Mukhanov (Severstal KHL)

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
at least on the later point I don't disagree at all. With the AHL situation going heavy Russian and NCAA makes all the sense in the world IMO

No one we’re drafting is going to be in the ahl next year, anyway. I sure hope we have our affiliate situation sorted out long before any of them hit the pro level in NA.

I like that we’re taking risks drafting skilled guys but we seem so focused despite not really having any evidence that our model for evaluating prospects works yet. We rarely graduate prospects.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
at least on the later point I don't disagree at all. With the AHL situation going heavy Russian and NCAA makes all the sense in the world IMO
Yea, no problem with drafting Russians...but for a team that's already undersized and Charmin-soft, we continue to draft 80% that. I know bigger bottom 6 are probably easier to acquire through FA/trade, but at some point you need at Marchment+ type who can play in your top-6 to score and protect guys, which are very expensive to acquire. Playing boom-bust on undersized skill might land a few quality guys, but if they're constantly knocked down or off the puck then it does no good.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I’m a little nervous that our drafting has recently become so hyper focused on Russians and undersized skill guys.
Part of the idea is that it's easy to buy good old canadian boy grinders on the free agency and trade market, but when teams find those high end skill guys they always hold on tight unless there are problems. When making a lotto pick, it makes more sense to use it on a player you can't get elsewhere.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yea, no problem with drafting Russians...but for a team that's already undersized and Charmin-soft, we continue to draft 80% that. I know bigger bottom 6 are probably easier to acquire through FA/trade, but at some point you need at Marchment+ type who can play in your top-6 to score and protect guys, which are very expensive to acquire. Playing boom-bust on undersized skill might land a few quality guys, but if they're constantly knocked down or off the puck then it does no good.
Yeah, that's the biggest flaw in the plan. Some of the guys you think will be grinders will turn out to translate their scoring to the pros and then you have big, mean, scoring players, which are really rare and useful.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

Are they "charmin soft"? They manhandled the devils in the post season. And won a grinding series against an Islanders team that's a grindy as you get.

What I thought did them in against Florida, is they were just a step to slow to get into the physical battles.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00