GDT: 160209 Sharks @ Hawks CSNCA 5:30

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
Probably the best job the Sharks have done controlling the neutral zone all season.

Hope Dillon is alright. Demelo played well, but he also spent a lot more time on the bench than he would have if Dillon hadn't gone down. Kurz with the jinx? :sarcasm:

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Can anyone help me navigate the nhl.com or the NHL app to watch full highlights? I used to be able to watch a 4-ish minute video, now it's all broken into pieces I think. I live in Asia and work during games, so those highlights were all I had

Go to video.nhl.com/videocenter. Click on the date of the game under the dropdown menu, then the game, and it should automatically give you the game highlights.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
How can anyone even argue the gi call? He was halfway in the crease and didn't allow Jones to get his glove over to make the save. Textbook no goal.

Didn't see the play. But from the sounds of the complaints it has more to do with the player being pushed into the goalie.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Didn't see the play. But from the sounds of the complaints it has more to do with the player being pushed into the goalie.

The "push" was weak and he made zero effort to get out of the crease. The right call was made. No penalty, but not a legit goal.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I like how the team looks right now. Sure, could use some improvements like general lineup tweaking but I like how they're playing. So I hereby proclaim that this team will go far in the playoffs.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I like how the team looks right now. Sure, could use some improvements like general lineup tweaking but I like how they're playing. So I hereby proclaim that this team will go far in the playoffs.

wtf optimism is not allowed on the Sharks board. Please leave.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Why didn't the Hawks broadcast go "Sharks win" when they scored the EN? Right because the Hawks always have a chance to come back.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Anybody know if there's a way to find out which coaches have called for the most challenges so far? I swear Deboer's one of the top guys at this point.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake

Frack, we're toast now...might as well write off the rest of the season...;)

Good effort by everyone involved, especially being down a D man the whole game!

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Can anyone help me navigate the nhl.com or the NHL app to watch full highlights? I used to be able to watch a 4-ish minute video, now it's all broken into pieces I think. I live in Asia and work during games, so those highlights were all I had

http://www.dtmts.com/

DTMS had issues last week when NHL switched over, but I think they are back providing great highlights.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
My thoughts:

1. Excellent pressure on the Hawks in all zones, with some backing off in the defensive zone a few times; particularly in the last half the 2nd period.
  2. Jones was the main difference in this game. Sometimes he looks like Crawford (and better last night), or sometimes he looks like Niemi. I don't believe its arguable that he still needs to develop some, but it's very likely we'll look back on the trade as positive, just not this season. We should see a slow improvement of more games looking like Crawford, not Niemi, but every goal tender is going have bad games.
  3. The other difference in the game was special teams. The sole goal in the game (discounting the EN goal) was on the PP. Sharks came away winning both sides of special teams... PP and PK.
  4. Another difference in the game was the absence of Panarin which curtails Kane's line, and Kane himself. There was much discussion of Sharp's departure and what affect that would have. Not really any due to Panarin. What an undrafted signing.
  5. Hawks top two defensive pairings are better than all three Sharks pairings, arguable. They play more defense, and setup scoring from the points. They don't have a sniper like Burns, but then, they don't have the huge negative +/- either. However, not last night as all Sharks pairings excelled. The only serious turnover I saw was due to Thornton, not Burns or others dmen.
  6. Zubrus ~= Desjardins. I would have never thought that would be the case before the game, but Desjardins, wanting to show his old team like all players, did not look that great to me last night.
  7. Watching coach's challenge on goal tender interference this season, opposing players cannot be in the crease between the goalie and the opposite post if the score comes through that opposite post. Unless the goalie's name is Stalock. The difference here was that Jones did not try to avoid contact in this case. Probably Stalock and Jones had reviewed the video after that game and were better prepared to help the coach in the challenge.
  8. Sharks end the season matchup 1-2. With a healthy Panarin, I cannot see the Sharks getting past the Hawks in a 7-game series. Hawk's top two lines and defense pairings, and goalie are formidable.

This month is important for the Sharks due to the Ducks's having a more favorable remaining Feb. schedule which includes 3 cellar dwellers. Next month, it's the Canucks with the first of four games starting in the end of Feb. Ducks likely see this month their best chance to surpass the Sharks.

Those are the two tests that will probably decide whether the Sharks make the playoffs or not. If the Sharks come through, then April will be a fight for home ice advantage.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
In order for the Sharks to miss the playoffs, either Arizona or Vancouver will have to make up six points in the standings. Seeing as how neither team is better than the Sharks, that's going to be an awfully difficult task for either team. They go head-to-head frequently but both of them are in a spot where they have to pretty much sweep those matchups to have a shot at knocking the Sharks out of the playoff picture.

That isn't happening.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
In order for the Sharks to miss the playoffs, either Arizona or Vancouver will have to make up six points in the standings. Seeing as how neither team is better than the Sharks, that's going to be an awfully difficult task for either team. They go head-to-head frequently but both of them are in a spot where they have to pretty much sweep those matchups to have a shot at knocking the Sharks out of the playoff picture.

That isn't happening.

It's pretty crazy when you look at 5v5 stats. Fenwick, differential, shots for, goals for, pdo are all comparable between us, LA and Anaheim. Great from a neutral perspective. Bad for us. Seems like a tough game 7 situation waiting to happen.

We do have the more potent offense at ES and PP. Anaheim has the pk numbers though.

I think it's too close to call.

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose
No doubt, in addition he was poking jones with his stick. Unbelievable that coach Q had issue with the call. What a doofus.

NHL Radio guys said it was a bad call too. I'm not understanding how anyone thinks the call was bad. The player had both skates in the crease and was in a position that prevented Jones from being able to attempt a save. That's clear cut interference. It does not matter if contact was or was not initiated by the player when the player is completely in the crease. The only thing that matters was the player was prohibiting the goaltender to make free movement inside the crease to attempt a save.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad