GDT: 160121 @ Coyotes 6pm CSNCA KFOX

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Of course points are all that matter in determining who makes the playoffs and who finishes where, no one's arguing that. But as observers we can use other factors to evaluate which teams are better or worse. Based on those factors I'd be way more scared of facing the Ducks in the first round than the Canucks, Coyotes or Flames regardless of where those four teams end up finishing in the standings. I think you'd be crazy not to.
Corsi, gf/ga etc are telling. They're a part of the whole picture, but they don't on their own determine if a team was better than another. If a team manages to finish with more points than another, they were better because they found a way to lose less games in regulation. I hate the term loser point because a team is awarded a point for finishing regulation in a draw, with the other point being up for grabs in the gimmick competitions.

And, yes, Calgary was better than the Kings last year. That's why they made it to the 2nd round while the Kings were watching tapes of their past accomplishments. Controlling the puck more and winning more games by multiple goals doesn't make a team better in my eyes if the end result is sitting at home.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Thortin tin man.

To be honest what does that Thortin tin man mean? :D I think it is really funny and I laugh because I get the joke but I don't know what does that tin man means there.

A banned poster actually posted it a long time ago. "One word, Thornton tin man". Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz has no heart if you're not familiar with the movie.

tinman_joe_thornton.jpg

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Thortin tin man.

To be honest what does that Thortin tin man mean? :D I think it is really funny and I laugh because I get the joke but I don't know what does that tin man means there.

Means he doesn't show up for the playoffs and he has no heart (like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz).

OneWord.gif

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
A banned poster actually posted it a long time ago. "One word, Thornton tin man". Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz has no heart if you're not familiar with the movie.

tinman_joe_thornton.jpg

Thanks for clarifying me! That picture :DDDDD

I think this is even funnier because Thornton plays with heart and he really cares about hockey. And like I said I get the joke but I wanted to know where that Tin man thing comes from :)

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
That gif made me laugh. Perhaps I should go to sleep. Clock is 1.35am here and I have to go to work 9.20am.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Love the steam!!! I'm loling over here.

I really liked that part. The whole gif is great. Is it ok if I use it as my avi, after I've had Randy Hahn for a while? I like to use avis that celebrate a team's or player's (or announcer's in Hahn's case) accomplishments or happy/funny moments but that gif is so good.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Of course points are all that matter in determining who makes the playoffs and who finishes where, no one's arguing that. But as observers we can use other factors to evaluate which teams are better or worse. Based on those factors I'd be way more scared of facing the Ducks in the first round than the Canucks, Coyotes or Flames regardless of where those four teams end up finishing in the standings. I think you'd be crazy not to.

Being scared of so and so as a team is about matchups and not about who is better. Who is better are the teams that make the playoffs over the ones that don't. Saying otherwise is merely providing excuses for failing. Ducks are a worse matchup than the other teams, I don't think you'd get much argument there but if they don't make the playoffs, they're not a better team. And right now, there isn't much to say anyone below the Sharks in the standings right now is a better team than them at this moment. That's just fear.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Being scared of so and so as a team is about matchups and not about who is better. Who is better are the teams that make the playoffs over the ones that don't. Saying otherwise is merely providing excuses for failing. Ducks are a worse matchup than the other teams, I don't think you'd get much argument there but if they don't make the playoffs, they're not a better team. And right now, there isn't much to say anyone below the Sharks in the standings right now is a better team than them at this moment. That's just fear.

Regular season records do not necessarily define the better team. corsi is actually a better indicator when looking at cup winning teams. Kings were a better team than Calgary and Vancouver last year but were unlucky. Sharks were also better than the two Alberta teams.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Regular season records do not necessarily define the better team. corsi is actually a better indicator when looking at cup winning teams. Kings were a better team than Calgary and Vancouver last year but were unlucky. Sharks were also better than the two Alberta teams.

Neither does Corsi because the bottom line is that you're not a better team than a playoff team if you're not a playoff team yourself. That's just looking for an excuse. The better team gets the job done when it comes to getting the points they need to make the playoffs compared to those who don't.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That unlucky stuff is just a crutch. The season is 82 games long. The better teams find a way to get more points.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Points only matter in your own division. You look league wide, especially this year a team will likely make the playoffs with less points than a team from a different division. Not sure how that logic works at all.

The third place pacific team likely would lose in a series against teams that miss out from the central for instance. So by the rules they get in but it doesn't make them a better team.

Even further lower seeds win against higher seeds all the time. If points determine the better team, how can that be?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Points only matter in your own division. You look league wide, especially this year a team will likely make the playoffs with less points than a team from a different division. Not sure how that logic works at all.

The third place pacific team likely would lose in a series against teams that miss out from the central for instance. So by the rules they get in but it doesn't make them a better team.

Even further lower seeds win against higher seeds all the time. If points determine the better team, how can that be?

Are you saying better teams don't lose in the PO's whether due to injuries or a slump or bad match up?

There is no perfect way to determine a better team.

EDIT: For instance, there is no way you'll convince me LA was THE BEST TEAM in the league when they won their first cup. They had a cake walk to the finals. Had they played tougher teams they might have had the injuries and lost during the conference or in the cup final.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Are you saying better teams don't lose in the PO's whether due to injuries or a slump or bad match up?

EDIT: For instance, there is no way you'll convince me LA was THE BEST TEAM in the league when they won their first cup. They had a cake walk to the finals. Had they played tougher teams they might have had the injuries and lost during the conference or in the cup final.

I'm still convinced if we faced them in the PO's that year, we would've won. We had their number all year.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

I'm only arguing the point that points determine who the better team is. So a lower seed can win because they were the better team but had less points in the RS.

There are too many variables to definitively say one team is better. That's why the seven game series is so fun to me.

Montreal looked like the best team in the league and Chicago was struggling. Those roles are reversed now. Luck, injuries, goaltending, schedule, cap. Everything plays a part which is why there is parity.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

You're not convinced after that dominant playoff run? Wow

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Would anyone like to fill me in? I've been looking at "Thortin is tin man" for like 3 years now and I have no freakin clue what it means. I figure from context it's a choker thing but.....?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad