GDT: 160121 @ Coyotes 6pm CSNCA KFOX

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I am confident playing any team in the West other than Chicago. Ideally, the Hawks and Kings play each other before we end up playing either in a playoff series. I seriously doubt we can handle beating them both in one post-season.

As long as they are both top seeds in their respective divisions, that will be impossible. We will play the Kings in the 2nd round at the earliest unless the Kings freefall to 3rd or something.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
As long as they are both top seeds in their respective divisions, that will be impossible. We will play the Kings in the 2nd round at the earliest unless the Kings freefall to 3rd or something.

Yep. I think we take 2nd seed, playing LA in round 2, assuming we get that far. I don't know that I'd ever prefer not to have home ice, but I have zero issue being the road team in that series, considering our home and road records.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yep. I think we take 2nd seed, playing LA in round 2, assuming we get that far. I don't know that I'd ever prefer not to have home ice, but I have zero issue being the road team in that series, considering our home and road records.

I think they'd beat anyone in that 3 spot except for Anaheim if the Sharks are 2nd seed. If the Ducks find a way to make it in, I'm sure they'll find a way to beat this team even though they shouldn't.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think they'd beat anyone in that 3 spot except for Anaheim if the Sharks are 2nd seed. If the Ducks find a way to make it in, I'm sure they'll find a way to beat this team even though they shouldn't.

I think it'd be a fairly decent matchup but I wouldn't bet on us because we always have a problem with Anaheim goaltenders. Haven't they shut us out twice this season already?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think it'd be a fairly decent matchup but I wouldn't bet on us because we always have a problem with Anaheim goaltenders. Haven't they shut us out twice this season already?

Yes...both teams have two goals in the three games they've played. Sharks won 2-0 the first time and then consecutive 1-0 losses to the Ducks. Of course, no Couture in the latter two.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yes...both teams have two goals in the three games they've played. Sharks won 2-0 the first time and then consecutive 1-0 losses to the Ducks. Of course, no Couture in the latter two.

Yeah, still. I'd rather play a team like Dallas because even though they're better, we might stand a chance at scoring.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, still. I'd rather play a team like Dallas because even though they're better, we might stand a chance at scoring.

It helps to have Couture in the lineup over Haley too but we'll have a better idea of what it is like next Tuesday when the last game between the two. You can't really count on a few early regular season games as if it's going to tell the story of a playoff series.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It helps to have Couture in the lineup over Haley too but we'll have a better idea of what it is like next Tuesday when the last game between the two. You can't really count on a few early regular season games as if it's going to tell the story of a playoff series.

I'm thinking of our whole history with Anaheim in the last decade. :laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Last season they were worse. I mean, I hope I'm wrong, I just don't trust this team to score against the Anaheim D and goaltenders.

I mean, we were worse and I understand the lack of trust. Ducks are just that kind of team to us but I just wouldn't say they're the flat-out better team or that we shouldn't win such a playoff series. Ducks would be the toughest matchup, imo, out of all possible divisional matchups excluding the Kings for obvious reasons.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Based on what exactly? If they miss the playoffs, then they're not a better team than us. That literally makes no sense.

How do you come to the conclusion they are better, might miss the playoffs, but we make the playoffs?

So you guys think that, for example, the Canucks and Flames were better teams than the L.A. Kings last season just because they made the playoffs while the Kings didn't? Of course they weren't. The regular season standings aren't a perfect reflection of which teams are better than others.

Anaheim is top 3, at worst top 5, in the league in pretty much every major possession stat. They're also basically the same roster (arguably even better) than the team that went to Game 7 of the WCF against Chicago last year and has won the past three Pacific Division titles. I don't know why they couldn't buy a goal for the first two and a half months of the season -- hopefully that stretch of bad luck is enough to keep them out of the playoffs. But they're a better team than us regardless.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
If a team makes the playoffs, they were the better team. Period.

There is logic both ways. Hockey is a funny sport. A team like the panthers one year made the playoffs with a -27 diff. Get enough loser points and win enough one goal games and you can make it. Doesn't make you better than teams that didn't.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
If a team makes the playoffs, they were the better team. Period.

Nah. That's usually the case but not always. It's impossible to argue with a straight face that a perpetually garbage Flames team that missed the playoffs for six consecutive years prior and will miss again this year was a better team last season than a Kings team that won two of the prior three Stanley Cups and is once again a frontrunner this year. There's a ton of luck in hockey, much moreso than the other three major sports and as a result there are always a few wonky results in the final standings. Most teams end up slotted where they should be but some don't. If the Ducks miss, I'd argue they will fall in the latter category.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
There is logic both ways. Hockey is a funny sport. A team like the panthers one year made the playoffs with a -27 diff. Get enough loser points and win enough one goal games and you can make it. Doesn't make you better than teams that didn't.

The only stat that really matters is pts. The rest just provide context.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Of course points are all that matter in determining who makes the playoffs and who finishes where, no one's arguing that. But as observers we can use other factors to evaluate which teams are better or worse. Based on those factors I'd be way more scared of facing the Ducks in the first round than the Canucks, Coyotes or Flames regardless of where those four teams end up finishing in the standings. I think you'd be crazy not to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad