16-17: Pacific Division : Changes : Where do the Canucks rank going in?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Let's do an early evaluation of what the teams of the Pacific have done so far..
Their significant changes..
Whether they have improved or taken a step back compared to their previous season..
And where the Canucks slot into the Pacific picture..

(please help me with player movement, it would be appreciated)

Anaheim (103pts)
In: Carlyle, Raymond, Guenin, Boll
Out: Boudreau, Andersen, Khudobin, McGuinn, Perron, Stewart, Pirri

San Jose (102pts)
In: Boedker, Schlemko
Out: Polak, Reimer

LA (98pts)
In: Purcell, Zatkoff, Gilbert
Out: Lucic, Greene, Lecavalier

Arizona (77pts)
In: Goligoski, McBain, McGuinn
Out: Gordon, Sekec

Calgary (77pts)
In: Elliot, Johnson, Brouwer, Chiasson
Out: Ortio, Ramo, Hiller, Colbourne, Jooris, Raymond,

Vancouver (75pts)
In: Eriksson, Gudbranson, Rodin, Larsen
Out: Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins, Vey, Weber, Bartkowski, McCann

Edmonton (70pts)
In: Lucic, Larsson, Gustavsson, Beck
Out: Hall, Korpikoski, Klinkhammer, Nilsson, Clendenning

***Looking for SOME constructive discussion specifically about what the the other Pacific teams have done/are doing.

There are many OTHER threads to discuss Benning.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From RandV Post #37 http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=120464391&postcount=37

:ducks

Ritchie (?) - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg
Garbutt - Rakell - Noesen (?)
Boll - Wagner - Sorensen (?)
Kerdiles (?) Tropp

Lindholm - Vatanen
Fowler - Despres
Theodore - Bieksa
Stoner

Gibson
Tokarski (?)

:sharks

Meier * - Thornton - Pavelski
Boedeker - Couture - Donskoi
Marleau - Hertl - Goldobin *
Nieto/Wingels/Karlsson - Tierney - Ward

Vlasic - Braun
Martin - Burns
Dillon/Schlemko - DeMelo/Schlemko

Jones
Dell*

:kings

Gaborik-Kopitar-Toffoli
Pearson-Carter-Purcell
King-Lewis-Brown
Clifford-Latta-Andrehoff

McNabb-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Gravel-Gilbert

Quick
Zatkoff

:coyotes

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Strome-Doan
McGinn-Vermette-Dvorak
Martinook-Richardson-White

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-Stone
Connauton-Michalek
Dahlbeck

Smith/Domingue

:flames

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Stajan - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Chiasson
Bouma - F.Hamilton - Ferland
Bollig

Brodie - D.Hamilton
Giordano - Engelland
Jokipakka - Wideman
Wotherspoon

Elliott
Johnson

:nucks (OP's version of the lines)

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Baertschi - Sutter - Hansen
Etem - Horvat - Virtanen
Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett
Rodin

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Sbisa - Tryamkin
Larsen/Pedan

Miller
Markstrom

:edmonton

Lucic - McDavid - Eberle
Pouliot - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Maroon - Draisaitl - Yakupov
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian
(Pakarinen, Lander)

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Davidson
Nurse-Fayne
(Oesterle, Reinhart [likely AHL])

Talbot
Gustavsson/Brossoit

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It looks like at least we added the best forward in the division.

Best Dmen added to the division (in no particular order):
Gudbranson, Goligoski, and Larsson..

Edmonton lost the best forward.. But added the 2nd best forward of the ones lost by Pac teams (Lucic)..
Hamhuis looks like the best dman lost by any of the Pac teams.

Ana lost the best goalie in Anderson..
Cgy brought in the best goalie in Elliot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I find it difficult to slot us in anywhere other than 7th right now.

Edmonton should be hugely improved with a full season of McDavid, an upgraded blueline, and some coaching consistency for the first time in forever.

Calgary was a good team last year with terrible goaltending, and now they've got a good goaltender.

Arizona have improved themselves and have a completely different vibe about them - which is huge.

Anaheim, SJ, and LA are clearly better than us. Anaheim and LA have gotten worse, but not nearly enough to close a 30-point gap.

Some team will probably be hit by injuries and do surprisingly poorly, but we're staring up from the bottom going into things.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I think we only finish ahead of Arizona... but there's time this summer for plenty to happen.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Edmonton should be hugely improved with a full season of McDavid, an upgraded blueline, and some coaching consistency for the first time in forever.

Calgary was a good team last year with terrible goaltending, and now they've got a good goaltender.

Arizona have improved themselves and have a completely different vibe about them - which is huge.

Anaheim, SJ, and LA are clearly better than us. Anaheim and LA have gotten worse, but not nearly enough to close a 30-point gap.

Some team will probably be hit by injuries and do surprisingly poorly, but we're staring up from the bottom going into things.

Does anything change in your mind about the Canucks finishing 7th if there was a magical hypothetcical that the Canucks remained 100% healthy this season?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
My favorite signing of the additions is Jamie McGuinn... I think Arizona got a him a great price and term... would of loved him squeezed into the lineup here.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I think there is a clear top three (the California teams) and a bottom four (the rest).

I don't think any of the bottom four teams has significantly moved the needle compared to each other based on their additions/subtractions.

The biggest difference maker is probably going to be improvement by young players. I'd bank on Edmonton and Calgary getting the most improvement, with Vancouver and Arizona trailing. So 6/7 is where I peg them currently.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

I have to agree with you. Short of everything falling into place, no injuries, improvement from youth etc i think that's where we are. Even then...we could be ahead of Arizona.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I could see all of Anaheim, San Jose, and Los Angeles regressing but still making the playoffs. Anaheim and LA are clearly worse on paper, and I'd be surprised if Thornton and, to a lesser extent Marleau, were able to play as well as last season.

Edmonton and Calgary may make it interesting and push for a wildcard spot, though that's probably unlikely. Arizona's a bit of a darkhorse as well -- they have a ton of good, young forwards ready to make the jump, and adding a guy like Goligoski is a big boost to their back end.

Unless another team gets ridiculously unlucky and/or gets hit hard by the injury bug, I can't see us outperforming any of these teams.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Does anything change in your mind about the Canucks finishing 7th if there was a magical hypothetcical that the Canucks remained 100% healthy this season?

If the team stays magically 100% healthy and everyone else suffers normal injuries, sure! We might move up a couple spots.

But that simply isn't going to happen. Someone posted some great numbers in another thread:

2015-2016: 2 defensemen played more than 70 games. 3 played more than 60.
2014-2015: 2 defensemen played more than 70 games. 4 played more than 60.
2013-2014: 3 defensemen played more than 70 games. 6 played more than 60.
2011-2012: 3 defensemen played more than 70 games. 4 played more than 60.
2010-2011: 1 defensemen played more than 70 games. 4 played more than 60.
2009-2010: 2 defensemen played more than 70 games. 4 played more than 60.
2008-2009: 5 defensemen played more than 70 games. 5 played more than 60.
2007-2008: 2 defensemen played more than 70 games. 3 played more than 60.
2006-2007: 3 defensemen played more than 70 games. 5 played more than 60.
2005-2006: 3 defensemen played more than 70 games. 3 played more than 60.

Basically, our defense has been ravaged by injury in 10 of the last 11 years, with only 08-09 as an exception.

Moreover, we have no depth, so when we have these sorts of normal injuries now, we feel it that much more than when we were actually good.

Unfortunately, 'Magic No Injury Land' is where Jim Benning seems to make his management decisions from. And then gets caught with his pants down every year.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
If Edmonton grabs another Dmen they will definitely finish ahead of us. Hopefully last and probably last lol

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Add McCann out for Vancouver.

When looking at other teams, the Nucks have had one of the better off-seasons so far.

Scholarships

10 Piece
Apr 3, 2016
To expand on why I think we will finish last:

Injuries hit every team, every year and this year will be no different. I predict the Sedins will face some injury trouble this year. They will be playing on the top line for Team Sweden in the World Cup which adds extra mileage. This adds up and may result in them slowing down during the season.

LA, San Jose, and Anaheim are all better teams than us.

As bad as the Taylor Hall trade was, Edmonton has gotten way better. They managed to drastically improve their blueline while also adding Lucic to fill the void trading Taylor Hall caused. With a healthy Mcdavid, I see no way that they do worse than us.

Calgary has added some forward help and upgraded their Goaltending. I see them getting better.

Arizona is a team that could possibly do worse than us. However, I wouldn't bet on it. I see them as a better team, and as MS said, they have a different "vibe" about them.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Calgary in and out looks good. Edmonton not so much, Hall stands out like a sore thumb

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

Good point about the goaltending - I was only thinking of rosters. Calgary's goaltending should save them something on the order of 25-30 goals against this year.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
does seem awfully farfetch'd considering they gave up 50 less goals than we did while scoring 29 more.

Downgrading from Boudreau to Carlyle was huge. Boudreau, in spite of his flaws, runs a great puck possession system and gets a ton out of his players in the regular season. Carlyle's "dump and chase without the chase" strategy leads to his teams being consistently bombarded with shots on a nightly basis. In Toronto, goaltending was the only thing keeping him relatively close to the playoffs. I think Gibson will be in for a bit of a shock when he's given the whole workload. Lost forward depth guys like Pirri, Perron and McGinn as well. IMO Kesler, Getzlaf, Perry and Lindholm all have to have really big years to get them back in the playoffs. And to be fair, I severely doubt that Anaheim finishes lower than us, I just see them as more likely to do it than any other Pacific team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good point about the goaltending - I was only thinking of rosters. Calgary's goaltending should save them something on the order of 25-30 goals against this year.

Calgary's goaltending was absolutely horrendous last year, one of the worst performances we've seen from any team since the 2005 lockout. They were actually a good team otherwise.

If you took their 30th place goaltending last year and replaced it with a modest 20th overall ranking, they have a positive goal differential and probably edge out Minnesota for the 8th playoff position.

As long as Elliot doesn't completely implode, that team will have a huge rebound.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Canucks dead last for sure.

Be close with Zona but I expect Calgary and Edmonton to both be better (potentially significantly).

Team can't score as is and defense is not really good as currently constructed either.

1 or 2 injuries and they are in the Top 3 convo for the 2017 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad