Prospect Info: 15th overall — C Dylan Larkin: Larkin signs 3 year entry deal

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
The way I see it is that Z is no longer a C on this team. The playoffs proved that he doesn't have much tread on the tires anymore as a C. IF larkin makes the team it has to be as a C because we don't need him developing into a winger at the NHL level - we need him to be a C like he has his entire career. I see it coming down to either Larkin or Weiss as the 3C with the other not playing on the wings next year. Other option is moving helm back to 3C.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Helm - Sheahan - Tatar
Abby - Larkin/Weiss - Pulkkinen/Jurco
Miller - Glendening - Ferraro

Looking at these lines and considering the fact that Franzen may or may not play and that Jurco doesn't have a top 9 role locked down and that Mantha & AA are coming soon you have to think that maybe a trade will happen at some point over the next season.

I'd be cool with this though:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Pulkkinen
Abby - Larkin/Weiss -Jurco
Miller - Helm - Glendening (Best 4th line in the NHL)

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
I've seen him play on TV, but I got to see Larkin play in person for the first time at the Griffins game last night and was very impressed. He made several very good plays at both ends of the ice. I get the feeling he'll at least start the year in the AHL next season, but I think he's going to make it a very hard decision.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I've seen him play on TV, but I got to see Larkin play in person for the first time at the Griffins game last night and was very impressed. He made several very good plays at both ends of the ice. I get the feeling he'll at least start the year in the AHL next season, but I think he's going to make it a very hard decision.

I'm pretty sure he's already made up his mind that he's going pro next season.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
He's already gone pro. I meant he will probably be put in the AHL rather than the NHL, but he's talented enough to make that a hard decision for Holland/Blash/etc.

Misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were talking about deciding whether or not to leave U of M.

Pretty sure he'll spend all next year in the A unless there's a pile of injuries -- there's no room for him on the roster otherwise.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Was just checking out Larkin's stats and saw that he's so far a point per game (albeit 4 game sample size) in the AHL. Pretty impressive after his monstrous NCAA season. Haven't really watched him play but I'm starting to hear a lot about him. Wings fans who have watched him, what does he project to be? (Top 6? First line center?). With the points he's putting up (I know that's not all you can look at which is why I'm asking other opinions), I have a feeling he could be a 1st line center maybe a tier below Toews (65-maybeee 70 points with good shutdown ability). Is that reasonable or could he be better/worse?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Was just checking out Larkin's stats and saw that he's so far a point per game (albeit 4 game sample size) in the AHL. Pretty impressive after his monstrous NCAA season. Haven't really watched him play but I'm starting to hear a lot about him. Wings fans who have watched him, what does he project to be? (Top 6? First line center?). With the points he's putting up (I know that's not all you can look at which is why I'm asking other opinions), I have a feeling he could be a 1st line center maybe a tier below Toews (65-maybeee 70 points with good shutdown ability). Is that reasonable or could he be better/worse?

I think your projection of him is pretty fair based on what I've seen in about 10 games I've watched of his. His offense was questioned at the draft or he would've went higher but his stats this year were absolutely elite and comparable to guy who were/are dynamite scorers in the NHL now.

His shut down and PK ability make shim a safe bet to be at least a good NHLer, I think he can be a first line center

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

He had a better freshman year in the NCAA than Toews did

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit

I compared him to Toews around the WJC. Not sure how many goals he has in him at the NHL level, but I can see him putting up as many assists as Toews, especially if he has good wingers. Case in point, just look at that beauty pass to Ouellet last night. I can see him as a first line center. Maybe not top 10 in the league, but I do believe he has that ability.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I think Toews was a was younger though during his freshman year.

He also had roughly the same season Toews had during his sophmore year at the same age. and Toews had already adjusted to that level by that time. look at Larkin pre and post WJC. If Larkin was that confident coming into the year, he would have had a year worthy of the Hobey Baker.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I think Toews was a was younger though during his freshman year.

True, but his sophomore season stats were basically the same as Larkin's anyway.

Toews had 18 goals and 46 points in 34 games. Larkin had 15 goals and 47 points in 35 games.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
The only question I have with Larkin is in the stamina needed for a whole season. This is the first year that he played 50+ games. He also has had a bit of time off between UM, WJC, WC, and GRG PO's. Many young players hit a wall in the NHL but he is an exception in other areas so this may not even be a problem.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Love it how he keeps his head up all the time when on the puck. Some nice plays here:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The only question I have with Larkin is in the stamina needed for a whole season. This is the first year that he played 50+ games. He also has had a bit of time off between UM, WJC, WC, and GRG PO's. Many young players hit a wall in the NHL but he is an exception in other areas so this may not even be a problem.

Ken holland talked about 18-minute role at Grand Rapids (intermission interwiev during Utica game3). Imo, that's what a 2nd line center and 1st PP + 1st PK player would get on average.

So far he has played 54 games at current season, it's a good test if season would continue towards Calder Cup finals and get +60 games under his belt. That not far from 76 game Ahl season at next year.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
I think the the comparison to Toews is fair...but Larkin is a dynamic skater. Toews is a great player but an average skater...a bit like Hank when he was in his prime. Larkin has exceptional skating ability...acceleration, top end speed, lateral movement...watching him in person at Yost and at the Joe the combination of speed and effort make him an effective NHL player even if he didn't have much offensive upside. Him developing offensively just makes him a top tier, high level prospect.

Anchor Town*

He's played 50+ games nearly every season of his hockey career, what are you talking about?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I think the the comparison to Toews is fair...but Larkin is a dynamic skater. Toews is a great player but an average skater...a bit like Hank when he was in his prime. Larkin has exceptional skating ability...acceleration, top end speed, lateral movement...watching him in person at Yost and at the Joe the combination of speed and effort make him an effective NHL player even if he didn't have much offensive upside. Him developing offensively just makes him a top tier, high level prospect.

I never saw Larkin actually play until that link in this topic. I'm not a prospect maven... but damn does he look good. No clue how that will transfer to the NHL, but in his, what, fourth pro game, he stands out during just normal play. I mean, he looked dangerous for that whole shift... and it looked completely repeatable like it wasn't anything special. Just faster and more skilled than everyone else around him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Love it how he keeps his head up all the time when on the puck. Some nice plays here:

He looks like a real smart player in this clip. You're right, heads up the whole time. Even at that 2x2 resolution, you can see he's thinking about everything never just giving away the puck or passing it for the sake of passing (which we seem to do way too much on our PPs...) If he sees a lane, he takes it and gets a shot.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I never saw Larkin actually play until that link in this topic. I'm not a prospect maven... but damn does he look good. No clue how that will transfer to the NHL, but in his, what, fourth pro game, he stands out during just normal play. I mean, he looked dangerous for that whole shift... and it looked completely repeatable like it wasn't anything special. Just faster and more skilled than everyone else around him.

Larkin will translate into the NHL no problem. A player with that kind of talent, skating ability and vision who has a top notch compete level. The key attribute here is compete level, not a lot of players have that over the top 110% next gear. Toews is the best example in the entire NHL of a player who brings it every single shift. That's what Larkin has. Plus the fact his game is fairly simple like Toews or Zetterberg. There is nothing in his offensive game that will get a slap in the face at the pro level. People around here have the comparison right, Toews is the closest player to compare Larkin. As others have mentioned Larkin has better skating ability than him.

The kid is NHL ready. I am not one to over hype a player. I was excited and still am about Mantha but quickly seen his flaws that could hold him back in the pro's. I called Mantha out while he played in the CHL and made the comparison to a Franzen type player, which would make him a complementary type guy. Not a guy with the ability to carry a line and set the pace. This was all while everyone thought we hit the lotto and Mantha's going to be a superstar. Look up my old posts from around then they are there.

Anyway, Holland is likely already weighing up trade options to slot Larkin and Pulks on the Wings roster. That's how good he is. If he doesn't open the season in Detroit its due to Hollands inability to part with talent and make room. He will be top call up for injuries and likely will find himself permanently on the roster. You heard it here first, I'll take the heat if I'm wrong on this one. I'm confident in this one.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Looks like Larkin has played in 244 games (and counting) over the past 3 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad