Prospect Info: 158 OA - G Ruslan Khazheyev (Chelyabinsk KHL)

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Serious question. Is the KHL about on par with the echl? Seems it would be a step under the AHL. Pay is obviously better in the KHL
Pre-Covid, I'd say it was above the AHL talent-wise. It's been harder for the KHL to get non-Russian talent since Covid and the war.

The biggest benefits the AHL had for NHL transition were getting adjusted to North America and the size of the ice, although many KHL rinks were moving smaller and away from the EU/Olympic size.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Serious question. Is the KHL about on par with the echl? Seems it would be a step under the AHL. Pay is obviously better in the KHL

Also, I just saw a statistical/analytical report on the Khl (can’t find it) a few days ago that suggests it is not as strong as it was a couple of years ago but it was still rated 2nd in the world.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Also, I just saw a statistical/analytical report on the Khl (can’t find it) a few days ago that suggests it is not as strong as it was a couple of years ago but it was still rated 2nd in the world.
I struggle to see DEL, NLA, & CZE as being above the AHL. CZE & NLA maybe you can argue that their BEST players are above AHL level, but 0% DEL should be above AHL.

@Borsig talent has definitely depleted the past few years, but it's still overall the #2 league in the world. That's why guys like Kuzmenko can come straight from the KHL to the NHL and put up some damn good numbers. And then guys who have NHL skills but not the overall size, speed, shot, etc (or missing 1 crucial NHL quality) can absolutely dominate the KHL.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I struggle to see DEL, NLA, & CZE as being above the AHL. CZE & NLA maybe you can argue that their BEST players are above AHL level, but 0% DEL should be above AHL.

@Borsig talent has definitely depleted the past few years, but it's still overall the #2 league in the world. That's why guys like Kuzmenko can come straight from the KHL to the NHL and put up some damn good numbers. And then guys who have NHL skills but not the overall size, speed, shot, etc (or missing 1 crucial NHL quality) can absolutely dominate the KHL.
I subscribe to a lot of stuff and the other day I got an email. Someone did a deep dive on KHL-AHL-NHL using player data (and other league stats compared to each other) and published it.

I looked at and then deleted it (and dammit can't find it) but it still rated KHL as #2 but with a drop.

It appeared to be a relevant study but who knows.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
The ECHL is closer to some very good beer leagues than it is to the KHL. KHL vs AHL is closer now, as mentioned above, due to the war/covid stuff but I still would say the KHL has more talent than the AHL.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Article re: ECHL players, coaches , refs in NHL right now. A bigger number than I would have thought:

Without looking I’m guessing a majority of those are goalies. It’s easy to pass through the ECHL if you are on a team with a deep goaltending pool. Skaters it’s a little trickier. I think Bunting is the only Hurricane to spend time there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00