Prospect Info: 158 OA - G Ruslan Khazheyev (Chelyabinsk KHL)

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I like it when we draft goalies with size who have also exhibited success at lower levels. We’ve drafted some big goalies that never put up even decent numbers at any level. That, to me, makes no sense.
.923 seems pretty good to me. We also have the benefit of a defensive system.

Is this guy real or will he disappear too?
Every Russian might disappear at some point.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yes, his stats are obviously good. My point was we have drafted other big goalies in the past who never demonstrated a strong ability to stop pucks at any level so I don’t agree with drafting just for size.

I'm sure they're not drafting just for size, but all things being equal, you should absolutely draft the bigger goalie. Almost nothing about a goalie is projectable into the future except his size. If you're throwing darts anyway, all other factors being equally unpredictable, why not take the goalie with size?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I'm sure they're not drafting just for size, but all things being equal, you should absolutely draft the bigger goalie. Almost nothing about a goalie is projectable into the future except his size. If you're throwing darts anyway, all other factors being equally unpredictable, why not take the goalie with size?
Exactly. All goalies are voodoo, so if you have to cut off a finger from a goalie to make them effective, you want the other 9 to be large enough to make up for it.

...what?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I’d sooner not draft a goalie at all than take one just because he’s big. Like I said, we’ve taken some goalies in the past who never showed an ability at any level to stop pucks effectively. As much as goalies are a crapshoot, I feel like you should generally be competitive at your age level as you progress up the ranks.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I’d sooner not draft a goalie at all than take one just because he’s big. Like I said, we’ve taken some goalies in the past who never showed an ability at any level to stop pucks effectively. As much as goalies are a crapshoot, I feel like you should generally be competitive at your age level as you progress up the ranks.
I'm sure they're not taking that goalie "just because he's big," which was implicit in the statement "all things being equal". This org drafts based on their mathematical models. Size is an important factor in those models, I'm sure.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
.923 seems pretty good to me. We also have the benefit of a defensive system.

Every Russian might disappear at some point.

They've got 15 times zones of meat to feed in the grinder and as we discovered in Afghanistan- every spring when the snow melts there is a whole nother generation of 17 year olds to hand out AKs to. They'll probably never get down to goalies, but then again, you never know..

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
They've got 15 times zones of meat to feed in the grinder and as we discovered in Afghanistan- every spring when the snow melts there is a whole nother generation of 17 year olds to hand out AKs to. They'll probably never get down to goalies, but then again, you never know..

I hope the Borg did due diligence to make sure that none of these draftees have family members in Wagner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad