GDT: #15 Devils vs. Blues / 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Oh, yeah and Jim is right (taking some of his thoughts on the other thread). The bottom 6 guys better start producing or this team is going to be come very ordinary, very quickly. Maybe the honeymoon is starting to fade.

Henrique and Cam and Stemps, have already cooled a bit, we'll see if Zajac can pot some more.

This is where supposedly the much talked about bottom 6 guys have to pitch in: Yayo, Tlusty and others have to pitch in, or even get a defender goal. Has to come from somewhere....

Not implying its time to get upset, but if we don't see more distirbuted scoring in the next few games, this team will start falling quickly as the deeper skill, talented rosters pick up steam.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Blues D is gigantic and mobile.

If Allen doesn't crumble this could finally be their year to rep the West.

Depends on if forwards besides Tarasenko decide to show up in the playoffs, as well. Last post-season, Tarasenko was the only forward from the Blues who seemed to realize he had to play the games if I recall correctly.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Blues D is gigantic and mobile.

If Allen doesn't crumble this could finally be their year to rep the West.

They're like the new Sharks to me. The talent is there, but something seems to be missing in the playoffs. Of course it doesn't help to have to go through Chicago or LA, who seem to own the Blues.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Kyle Palmieri said it. They stopped moving their feet. I didn't expect us to win. But they didn't put the effort at all.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Blues doing something-i'll believe it when I see it.
I mean I never paid much attention to the kings and then they finally did something....

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Eh, they were moving their feet, its just St. Louis was keeping equal pace in the game. Quick passes, good cycling, good transition (Blues). Devils just couldn't make and utilize time and space in the offensive zone effectively.

I think because they were being muscled around a bit by the Blue's D men. Not aggressively so, but disruptively enough so that no offensive flow was not maintained.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Kyle Palmieri said it. They stopped moving their feet. I didn't expect us to win. But they didn't put the effort at all.

Aside from about 12 minutes in the first, the energy/hustle/urgency was lacking.

Combo of big, structured and methodical Blues team and a weak effort and execution by NJD.

A letdown game after a few big wins.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blues doing something-i'll believe it when I see it.
I mean I never paid much attention to the kings and then they finally did something....

Even the 95-99 Devils eventually got out of the second round and started winning again, so it's bound to happen possibly.

Only half that team actually won a cup in 95 by the time they won again in 2000, after years of playoff disappointments.

I'm not a believer in the Blues in the playoffs at all.

I was one of the only people that picked Minnesota to win that series last year, when so many people here picked St Louis and were shocked they went out to them.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Can't win them all. I knew we were in trouble when we didn't score in the first period after dominating. Than to have Havlat score the first goal of all players, was a killer. Probably be his only goal of the season for that bum. Unfortunately, I don't see us winning in Chicago after emmbarssing them for two periods. We probably have to wait until Calgary, which isn't an easy game, especially in their house.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm getting sick of O'Neill. I'd much rather have a guy like Blandisi come up and show what he can do. We've seen plenty of what O'Neill can (can't?) do.

The bottom-6 can't continue to be passengers production-wise. We're too thin at forward to not have four lines that can score.

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
I'm getting sick of O'Neill. I'd much rather have a guy like Blandisi come up and show what he can do. We've seen plenty of what O'Neill can (can't?) do.

The bottom-6 can't continue to be passengers production-wise. We're too thin at forward to not have four lines that can score.

If we had four lines that can score (or even 3), then we wouldn't be too thin at forward :laugh:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

How about calling up Boucher. I'm mentioned that it's disappointing that we aren't getting scoring from the bottom six, however, it's actually the third line we need to see some more production from. Maybe Boucher can help JJ & Tlusty. Tootoo belongs on the 4th line. Tlusty-JJ-Boucher, Franham-Gio-Tootoo.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If we had four lines that can score (or even 3), then we wouldn't be too thin at forward :laugh:

I meant four lines that literally have the bare-bones capability to score :laugh:

Guys like Farnham, O'Neill, even Gio.. they just cannot score. Let alone consistently. I'm saying we're too thin at forward to keep rolling out guys that can't put the puck in the net. Give Matteau and Boucher those spots.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
How about calling up Boucher. I'm mentioned that it's disappointing that we aren't getting scoring from the bottom six, however, it's actually the third line we need to see some more production from. Maybe Boucher can help JJ & Tlusty. Tootoo belongs on the 4th line. Tlusty-JJ-Boucher, Franham-Gio-Tootoo.

I'd be intrigued by a JJ-Boucher pairing. Maybe that would even spark Tlusty into action.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Oh, yeah and Jim is right (taking some of his thoughts on the other thread). The bottom 6 guys better start producing or this team is going to be come very ordinary, very quickly. Maybe the honeymoon is starting to fade.

Henrique and Cam and Stemps, have already cooled a bit, we'll see if Zajac can pot some more.

This is where supposedly the much talked about bottom 6 guys have to pitch in: Yayo, Tlusty and others have to pitch in, or even get a defender goal. Has to come from somewhere....

Not implying its time to get upset, but if we don't see more distirbuted scoring in the next few games, this team will start falling quickly as the deeper skill, talented rosters pick up steam.

We aren't ordinary now? Did people think that a journeyman like Stempniak was going to keep up his early pace? Is Zajac going to have 25 PPGs this year?

Anybody expecting anything from the bottom 6 is going to be sorely disappointed. The guys we have on those lines are functioning top 6 AHL players. The talent gap up front on this team hasn't budged.

The most encouraging thing I can say about this team is that they seem to like and respond to the coach and on most nights give it their best. That's a nice quality to have, but talent almost always wins out in the end.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
We aren't ordinary now? Did people think that a journeyman like Stempniak was going to keep up his early pace? Is Zajac going to have 25 PPGs this year?

Anybody expecting anything from the bottom 6 is going to be sorely disappointed. The guys we have on those lines are functioning top 6 AHL players. The talent gap up front on this team hasn't budged.

The most encouraging thing I can say about this team is that they seem to like and respond to the coach and on most nights give it their best. That's a nice quality to have, but talent almost always wins out in the end.

preach on!

It's nice to see everyone working hard and playing a fun style. But unless Henrique or Cammalleri or whoever pot goals, then this team is going to struggle.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Ruutu had 13 points in 73 games last season while Gionta got the same 13 pts but in only 63 games.

Ruutu sucks. He won't be an upgrade over Gionta as he's just as bad or even worse offensively.

At least Gionta isn't insanely overpaid as Ruutu is.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
preach on!

It's nice to see everyone working hard and playing a fun style. But unless Henrique or Cammalleri or whoever pot goals, then this team is going to struggle.

OTOH having even five forwards that score was like 1-2 more than anyone expected before the season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Ruutu had 13 points in 73 games last season while Gionta got the same 13 pts but in only 63 games.

Ruutu sucks. He won't be an upgrade over Gionta as he's just as bad or even worse offensively.

At least Gionta isn't insanely overpaid as Ruutu is.

again, just ridiculous.

who cares how much guys are paid when we're a zillion dollars under the cap?

Ruutu is an NHL player. Gionta is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad