15 "Classic" Video Games That Are Actually TERRIBLE

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
There's plenty of crap like this out there. Obvious clickbait troll article is obvious. Oh well, OP got his clicks.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Halo was designed to show off to gamers and developers what the original Xbox can do. It was tweaked and optimized to use the entire system's resources while playing.

HL2 has attained untouchable status.

Th writer of this article is a hack.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Halo had something that other games having come close to in terms of innovating and advancing. Enemy AI. Halo had very intelligent enemies, especially for the time even now, where the enemies would move to different cover, dodge your shots, run around to flank you, even throw back grenades if I remember right (not sure about that).

Also the way grunts run away once you kill their commander or freak out when you go invisible with very realistic animations and voice acting.

You don't see that type of depth these days.

That and the havok physics which is one of the first times if not the first time gamers everienced it is what's flown under the radar all these years later in terms of some of what made it really stand out.

Edit: just looked it up, havok wasn't used in halo ce. What can I say, easy to get things mixed

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
i don't recall them being able to throw nades back? At most you'd have a grunt run at you if they got stuck or the kamikaze ones in 3. (Though i've only played the mainline series, no Reach/ODST)

Still a valid point regarding AI. You against that...with the totally legitimate and not at all a hindrance allied AI :laugh:

Kinda sucks i missed Halo's glory days since i didn't really get into online gaming until high school. Halo was already on the downswing at that point.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
that entire site seems like fake "trivia" and contrarian edginess. half the links under the article are that same kind of buzzfeed bull**** "10 things you didn't know about X" or "X things that suck that you didn't realize" nonsense. It's not designed to be thought provoking or rational. It's designed to get intrigued or angry clicks because they don't get 2 ****s about what you think of what they wrote once you've moved the needle on their hit counter.

I'll at least give them that they didn't do it with one of those shonky, dumb slideshow setups like most sites do.

Reactions: DaveG

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I disagree with some, but also agree with some.

What's the big deal here?? It's an opinion article, relax. We're all entitled to one.

Always thought Halo was incredibly over hyped. I know many agree. Nothing special about that game .

Nothing special about it?

Except for the fact it was the first FPS to actually play well on console. Or the fact it put online gaming for consoles on the map?

Halo deserved all the praise it got, even if the first game doesn't hold up as well as it did 15 years ago (though it's hardly the pile of junk like some seem to think it is)
vdB is a self proclaimed Sony fanboy and admits he hates anything MS because he doesn't like MS. So no surprise here that they are trashing Halo.

That said, anything that becomes SUPER popular and sells millions (Halo, Titanic (the movie), The Beatles... etc.) there is always a loud group of people that will hate on those things to be "edgy" and "different."

Personally, I am not a Final Fantasy fan. I played a few of them and the only one I ever enjoyed was Tactics on the GBA. That doesn't mean I don't understand that they are seen as fantastic games or that I don't get that the games were revolutionary back in the day and they live on today with solid "sequels". I completely respect FF even though I am not a fan of those games at all.

But... as they say, haters gonna hate. You are spot on with Halo. It's what put consoles on the map really for MANY people and is the game that made FPS games relevant on non-PC machines. The franchise has sold over 70 million copies of it's game across many iterations. It's not just a bunch of hype.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm not going to shred him for saying FF9 was a better game. That is a fair opinion. When he uses the graphics of FF7 vs FF9 to help justify his argument... that is where his level of ****ery goes to a whole new level.

It's obviously an opinion, but I don't see a logical argument for FF9 being better than FF7.

The storyline in FF9 was plain and cliché, the characters were bland and not memorable, there was not really much in the way of mini-games or side-quests. The customization of characters in terms of their battle "class" was non-existant. It was cool how you could use 4 characters. But that's the only redeeming quality of the battle system.

I enjoyed that the setting went back to a "medieval" realm, rather than 7 and 8 which took place in futuristic settings, but it's not exactly an argument for being 'better'.

I disagree with some, but also agree with some.

What's the big deal here?? It's an opinion article, relax. We're all entitled to one.

Always thought Halo was incredibly over hyped. I know many agree. Nothing special about that game .

The "big deal" is that he's asserting his 'opinion' as fact, and I don't think it's even his true opinion, it's just contrarian click-bait that provides almost no real analysis. Even on a couple of them that I do agree on, his reasoning is just trash.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Talk about an edgelord article.

And if you're going to make an article about classic games that have aged horribly, how the heck isn't Goldeneye #1 on the list? Can't think of a game so universally acclaimed that has become so inherently outdated in every area as that.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Talk about an edgelord article.

And if you're going to make an article about classic games that have aged horribly, how the heck isn't Goldeneye #1 on the list? Can't think of a game so universally acclaimed that has become so inherently outdated in every area as that.

I agree.. If the writer was actually able to maintain a singular theme throughout the article Goldeneye would be the top game that's aged horribly. I didn't even really like it at the time, but I tried to play it a couple of weeks ago and it's borderline unplayable... and I LOVE Retro games, too...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pretty poorly written article. There are many takedowns and criticisms of popular games out there worth reading, this isn't one of them.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
The worst thing about this list is I don't think a lot of them are "classics":

14) Twilight Princess
12) Shadows of the Empire
11) Uncharted 2
9) Ace Combat 04
8) Skyrim
5) Super Mario Galaxy
3) Crash Bandicoot
2) Conker's Bad Fur Day

Some combination of these games not being good enough to be considered classic, or not old enough, or not popular enough. I'd never even heard of #12. The guy couldn't even define classic properly.

Mostly, this article is only interesting if you're trying to say these games weren't good at the time. What's the point of crapping on 20+ year old games by comparing them to modern day titles? It's nonsense. It's like saying that Pac-Man is stupid because it wasn't in VR or 4K in the 70's. The article is moronic, and I feel bad for clicking on it.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
yeah, you can make an argument that Twilight Princess is the worst 3D Zelda. It's not good enough to be called "classic". Never has been, never will be.

In one of the few correct points this article makes, it doesn't make it a "bad" game either. But relatively speaking? Not even close to classic.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Talking **** about Skyrim for being glitchy then saying the earlier games in the series were relatively stable?

Whatever idiot wrote this clearly didn't play Morrowind or Oblivion. Soooo many glitches in those games. Morrowind had an npc who was fond of falling through the floor. Not a huge deal, except for the fact that she was essential to the main quest, and it can't be completed properly without her. ****, I remember one time I was walking around Balmora and saw an npc levitating around about 50 feet in the air. For whatever reason the game decided I needed to be up there too, so it teleported me up, I fell the 50 feet, and died. And it's not like the game ever ran great even outside of that. If you were moving too fast you'd get constant loading screens in the over world. Never had that happen in Skyrim.

What a **** list, I regret giving them the click.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
that list is triggering me greatly

a53.jpg

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Skyrim IS bad though. Just like Fallout 3.

Terrible combat, non existent main story, and only a couple of memorable side quests. Not to mention it's a clunky, buggy piece of ****. Does anyone play the game without 5+ mods to make the interface manageable?

I realize it's the gaming sweetheart around here and on Reddit but I have to believe it's because it's likely the first open world game people have experienced because there's almost nothing tangible you came name that makes it a great game let alone a classic.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Skyrim IS bad though. Just like Fallout 3.

Terrible combat, non existent main story, and only a couple of memorable side quests. Not to mention it's a clunky, buggy piece of ****. Does anyone play the game without 5+ mods to make the interface manageable?

I realize it's the gaming sweetheart around here and on Reddit but I have to believe it's because it's likely the first open world game people have experienced because there's almost nothing tangible you came name that makes it a great game let alone a classic.
The combat sucked for sure but Skyrim overall was definitely not a bad game.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Mortal Kombat definitely fits the bill. Pretty much all-around inferior to other fighting games of the time but it blew the **** up thanks to some soccer mom media outrage.

Halo's at least notable here in that its legacy is carried almost entirely by ignorance, but I wouldn't call the game "terrible." I imagine the Halo community as a bunch of people who didn't know anything about sandwiches and who had never experienced a sandwich before until they somehow ended up at a Subway and were like "oh my god Subway is the best restaurant ever."

And yea a lot of the rest of these aren't "classics." Twilight Princess? Are we gonna dunk on Skyward Sword next? May as well put Mario Sunshine on here.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Mortal Kombat definitely fits the bill. Pretty much all-around inferior to other fighting games of the time but it blew the **** up thanks to some soccer mom media outrage.

Halo's at least notable here in that its legacy is carried almost entirely by ignorance, but I wouldn't call the game "terrible." I imagine the Halo community as a bunch of people who didn't know anything about sandwiches and who had never experienced a sandwich before until they somehow ended up at a Subway and were like "oh my god Subway is the best restaurant ever."

And yea a lot of the rest of these aren't "classics." Twilight Princess? Are we gonna dunk on Skyward Sword next? May as well put Mario Sunshine on here.

I still don't understand your criticism of Halo so I guess I'm exactly who you are talking about?? :dunno:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This "article" is embarrassingly terrible. Pure clickbait and I regret giving them a click.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad