15 "Classic" Video Games That Are Actually TERRIBLE

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
http://screenrant.com/classic-video-games-that-are-actually-terrible/

Not one game on this list is as bad as this article itself. Criticizing older games due to their graphics being outdated is one of the dumbest things I can think of.

Here, in our list of 15 Video Game “Classics†That Are Actually Terrible, we’re going to expose the flaws of some dearly-held “classics†whose fans will swear to until they’re blue in the face. Alas, many on this list have aged poorly, or were outdone by overlooked peers thanks to overblown hype.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It was so close to not embarrassing itself until it reached the top 5 with Mario galaxy. The rest you can at least make some arguments it's aged poorly but then you start getting into clickbait territory with that.

Galaxy isn’t a bad game, but its less-loved sequel beats it at nearly every turn, essentially rendering it obsolete.

Essentially confirming the title is nothing but clickbait

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Seems like they tried too hard to just get attention saying these critically acclaimed games are terrible. But then says they aren't really terrible. I took the graphics complaints as even for their time they were cheesy. Especially in the case of FF VII. But I do agree that's an awful way to say one of the most revered games of all time is "terrible"

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I think I fail to understand this article's perspective.

At first it seems like they are talking from the perspective of someone going back and trying out these classics now, and then sometimes they switch it to "at the time" perspective.

These are two very different lists smashed into one.....

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
There's very little to achieve when you go back to old video games and analyze where they're good and where they're bad. I payed little attention to these details when I played them as a kid.

Case in point: Shadows of the Empire
It was good fun. Amazing graphics for its time. And it was star wars, something I was a big fan of. So hey, no complaints in all honesty.

Now when I go back these days to look at gameplay..ofcourse the graphics/physics/story/motions look poor. It was made roughly 2 decades ago.

Some video games/tv shows/movies are best kept as nostalgia/in the memory banks. I "could" watch a few episodes of dragon ball z. I tried doing that with Beasties and Reboot and there just wasn't that attraction at my current age. It was better to watch as a kid then to watch them as an adult. Didn't want to ruin my good memory.

My two cents.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
just glanced over the list and it looks like they're trolling.

anyway, i'll throw a vote down for GoldenEye on N64. i didn't like that game from the get go. (primary reasons = terrible controls, terrible framerate, hated the split screen multiplayer).

Last edited:

Clock

May 13, 2006
Author: "I'm very edgy, give me clicks."

Half-Life? Halo 1? Is this guy like 8 and trying these games for the first time?

Reactions: DaveG

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
anyway, i'll throw a vote down for GoldenEye on N64. i didn't like that game from the get go. (primary reasons = terrible controls, terrible framerate, hated the split screen multiplayer).

GoldenEye is the first game I thought of. While FPS games aren't my thing, the upgrades and changes they've made to most FPS games over the years has made GoldenEye almost unplayable now in comparison IMO. There are plenty of N64 games I can go back and play and get a lot of enjoyment out of, but GoldenEye definitely isn't one of them.

To be fair, I was never the biggest fan of the game back in the day, but still thought it was decent at worst.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hah, I played Half Life for the first time 2 years ago, thought it was a perfectly good game.

Not going through the article, but I'd think the legit picks here are the type of games that wowed us with next gen technology but are fundamentally poor games... but if that was the case I don't think they would truly be considered "classics".

One that comes to mind, again not exactly a classic but could be close as it was a launch or near launch title, was the original Ridge Racer on PS1. Very limited content, wonky physics, and invisible walls placed on the edge of the road, looking back on it now (and I played it again maybe 5+ years ago) it's just a poor game all around. But it was the first fancy 3D racing game on the PS so people loved it at the time.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So many things wrong with that list.

Skyrim, Uncharted and Super Mario Galaxy have barely aged enough to even be on a list. Also, Galaxy is probably the most complete 3D Mario game ever made. (Though i will give him Galaxy 2 being kinda bleh in comparison)

His "research" on Halo is outright wrong;

Even Halo’s primary claim to fame, online multiplayer for consoles, was done with the Dreamcast and PS2.

Halo came out in 2001 and wasn't even online until 2. Dreamcast had online support but was very shaky with games that took advantage of it and PS2 didn't get it until almost a year after the first game came out. :laugh:

Super Mario Land 2 actually holds up really well for a handheld game. Surprisingly lengthy too with all the different worlds

He lists all these and somehow misses Goldeneye. That's a game that aged poorly (outside of the ballin' ass soundtrack anyway)

The only one i'll give him is MK1 since even back then it was hilariously outdone by the sequel.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
No worries. It happens. :)

And I agree. I felt bad for even posting it here but man. It really pissed me off :laugh:

I'm with ya :laugh:.
I guess it's a good thing to see that there are people out there that think like this author does? If anything, to see what we should avoid. :nod:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
When I saw this article my first thought was "Contrarian edgy ********, I bet the hipster who wrote this will include Final Fantasy 7 on here." and I only had to scroll through 2 incorrect analyses to confirm my suspicion.

I can't believe this dipstick actually said that FF9 was better "at every turn". What a ******.

Basically, take every awesome franchise, particularly the first installment of that franchise,

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
When I saw this article my first thought was "Contrarian edgy ********, I bet the hipster who wrote this will include Final Fantasy 7 on here." and I only had to scroll through 2 incorrect analyses to confirm my suspicion.

I can't believe this dipstick actually said that FF9 was better "at every turn". What a ******.

Basically, take every awesome franchise, particularly the first installment of that franchise,

I'm not going to shred him for saying FF9 was a better game. That is a fair opinion. When he uses the graphics of FF7 vs FF9 to help justify his argument... that is where his level of ****ery goes to a whole new level.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
I'm not going to shred him for saying FF9 was a better game. That is a fair opinion. When he uses the graphics of FF7 vs FF9 to help justify his argument... that is where his level of ****ery goes to a whole new level.

Honestly with mods you can make FF7 look decent, I wish SE would have updated the game themselves before the steam release and updated the ugly models.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Anyone that doesn't appreciate FF7 (is OoT on the list too?) is either a 'hipster' or too young to fully appreciate it in an age where aesthetics and instant gratification reign supreme.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
I disagree with some, but also agree with some.

What's the big deal here?? It's an opinion article, relax. We're all entitled to one.

Always thought Halo was incredibly over hyped. I know many agree. Nothing special about that game .

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Nothing special about it?

Except for the fact it was the first FPS to actually play well on console. Or the fact it put online gaming for consoles on the map?

Halo deserved all the praise it got, even if the first game doesn't hold up as well as it did 15 years ago (though it's hardly the pile of junk like some seem to think it is)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad